• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is No News.....

Is No (Official) News About Fossetts Farm....

• Total voters

Razam

Coach
I can't see any official updates on the OS since Feb'2013 (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.)
So do you guys think that lack of news is a sign of obstacles & problems causing delays, or do you think that everything is quietly running along albeit at a slow pace?

Hopefully everyone involved is too busy making sure everything is on track and something positive will be announced soon. Keyword there in bold!

If there is good news Ron is always keen to shout from the rooftops.

Lack of news to me smarts of lack of progress....

Can't see anything positive happening this year now. The extension to the planning permission still hasn't been granted by the Council, deals for Prospects, Pizza Man and the flats appear to have stalled. No news in this case is definitely not good news.

Cue approval on all of the above and diggers on-site before xmas.... :hilarious:

Diggers were supposed to be on site in October, but still nothing. Yet again a broken deadline. Have given up now.

Diggers were supposed to be on site in October, but still nothing. Yet again a broken deadline. Have given up now.

Havent the diggers been consistently due on site since around 2008...??

For what its worth, not based on anything other than interested observation and this is only my opinion of course...

Ron cannot deliver a new stadium as he does not have the finances to do so. He also does not appear to have the credibility any longer to attract investors that do have the finances to deliver a new stadium - and his reputation will not have been enhanced by the Tara Brady episode! He will also be unwilling to let go of the club as it is a serious cash cow for him, and I suspect the only source of personal income he has, as there is no evidence that his web of businesses create any profit (or pay their bills...). On this basis he will not want to watch the potential personal gains that will follow by building a stadium complex slip through his fingers by someone else coming along and getting the stadium built and the club's future on track.

I disagree ms brush on your assertion that SUFC is a "cash cow" for Ron. The club does not make money. It is a serious loss maker, as is just about every other football league club. If anything Ron Martin will have lost serious amounts of money and credibility trying to make the Southend dream happen. That said, there is a reason why someone like him remains as chairman of a fourth division club - do you know what that reason is?

On word: Status

There are only 91 other people in England who own a foobtall league club - and Ron is one of them. He is a member of a very exclusive club which gives him plenty of exposure, publicity and opportunity. That alone is worth sustaining the losses for. The question is, for how much longer?

Southend is a cash cow because of the development(and only when it is actually developed), not because of the revenue the club generates on a month to month basis.

Anyone who thinks we make money is deluded.

Precisely Jam-Man - only when it is developed. But it hasn't been developed and won't be. So there is no cash to be had!

Its all about timing, with the economy not expecting to really pick up until about 2018, most developments will time the finish dates for around that time at the earliest. I would be surprised if any major ground works start at FF before 2015. There are a number of sites around the town that are awaiting development and all are holding off for better times and confident investors.

No expert on property development but it seems to a layman that they generally start to happen before the recovery is complete. Just walking through the City of London there is massive redevelopment going on there with massive skyscrapers going up all over the place.

Whether that has any bearing on what we are trying to achieve I have no idea.

Theres no need to put him in the squad anyway because if we won it he would still be on the pitch celebrating with the team.

The stadium is part of a service industry like many of the other developments waiting to happen in the town and all are secondary to what happens in London. I have spoken with a couple of major developers who have projects waiting to start and they seem fairly sure that investors will not come forward for a while yet. An important part of the façade surrounding investor confidence is to continually talk up a project and that the beginnings are imminent, FF is no different, hence RM's start date announcements. I'm confident that it will happen as there is goodwill from the council, some of whom involved in FF planning, are supporters of the club.

How is it secondary to whats happening in the City?

Its gaining finance for a propery development, how does a football stadium differ from an office block ? (Well obviously its harder to play football in an office block, and your papers get blown off your desk in a football stadium).

The only difference I see is that as a business SUFC and Ron Martin cant afford to build one, that wont change even when the economy is booming.

The biggest issue seems to be the inability to get a tenant in the main stand, yet in this time we have had a new hotel built at the airport and another one agreed at the seafront. Yet Fossetts has no interest that we know of.

According to the Echo article that was posted a few months ago, we should be starting this month ....

Wasnt the 3 months of review after the council's decision meant to expire on the 1st Oct though ?

Who knows what is going on...

Back