• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_aussies

I come from a land down under
Simple question. Do we need to make a big run now with the games we have before Bolton?

We play sides outside of the top ten and three in the bottom five.

To me we need at least 13 points - 4 wins, one draw, and a loss - to help in our battle for the top six.

What do you think?

Honestly I think they're no more important than the next six. We want to finish towards the top of the table and need to close the season out as a team towards the top of the table should. I wouldn't get fixated on points targets or 'must win' games. We'll lose some over the next few, but so will everyone else.

I actually think tomorrows game is massive. If we don't beat Port Vale then it's going to be a struggle. Especially if the teams around us keep winning. You don't want to be playing catch up at this stage of the season.

Teams around will be playing each other, like tomorrow so one or both teams will drop points. I think if we can keep performing like we have done for the majority of the last 4 months or so we will get enough points to finish in the top 6.

We had this situation last season, we were there or thereabouts in february and then fell away badly in the last few weeks of the season and ended up mid table. At lot of this was at the time attributed to Bolton sniffing around Brown I seem to recall.

I think we ended the season with about 5 or 6 straight defeats.

So its important to win tomorrow otherwise momentum starts to shift away from us.

Part of me would be happy to fall away and remain in Div 1, unless we can significantly up our finances I worry that another trip into the Championship would be a one season wonder and only further pressure our already poor finances.

Of course the fierce competitor in me wants us to win and get promoted

We had this situation last season, we were there or thereabouts in february and then fell away badly in the last few weeks of the season and ended up mid table. At lot of this was at the time attributed to Bolton sniffing around Brown I seem to recall.

I think we ended the season with about 5 or 6 straight defeats.

So its important to win tomorrow otherwise momentum starts to shift away from us.

Part of me would be happy to fall away and remain in Div 1, unless we can significantly up our finances I worry that another trip into the Championship would be a one season wonder and only further pressure our already poor finances.

Of course the fierce competitor in me wants us to win and get promoted

I agree , but we didn't have the striking options we have now , so I will be surprised and disappointed if that were to happen again.

Long way to go, many more twists and turns to come, whoever goes on a big unbeaten run from now will have the upper hand

Also had Lenny out last season and a lot of speculation surrounding Bentley & Payne.

Our squad is a lot more settled now.

That said, this is a huge month, coming up.

The games against the relegation threatened teams are the ones I fear, they will be scrapping for their lives and pose a greater threat than any others. That said we are better equipped this year and should not drop away again.....hopefully.

Also had Lenny out last season and a lot of speculation surrounding Bentley & Payne.

That was lots of speculation about someone else too...praying that doesn't happen again this season.

The games against the relegation threatened teams are the ones I fear, they will be scrapping for their lives and pose a greater threat than any others. That said we are better equipped this year and should not drop away again.....hopefully.
we have struggled against lower teams in the past...

Exactly this, followed by PB rumours and him tinkering and leaving Payne and Bentley out...

For me the critical point is having a full strength squad back in contention for the run in - meaning fully fit McLaughlin, Ranger and Ferdinand etc.. As they say there will be 'no easy games' as almost every club in Lge1 will be fighting, either relegation or play offs. Some of these mid table teams will look at Barnsley from last season and reckon they have a chance, so we need to get wins on the board.

We CAN do this !!

3-1 win tomorrow, Robinson on the scoresheet against his old club too...

I actually think tomorrows game is massive. If we don't beat Port Vale then it's going to be a struggle. Especially if the teams around us keep winning. You don't want to be playing catch up at this stage of the season.

If we lose tomorrow it is a blow because it is three points lost. But they're the same three points that are on the line in the next game and it will be no more or less bad if we lose next week or the week after instead.

I just think people should relax a little. We're a good team. We're playing well. Enjoy the next couple of months because you never how the next few seasons might play out.

To be honest, it dosnt really matter who we play, near the top, down the bottom, halfway up the league, its about how we play. We can look topdraw, then again, the next week, we seem lost. In the top six, if you want to stay there, i feel you have to win at least four out of five, esp on the run in. Players like Wordsworth, who are match winners really have to put more back to back games together.

Turks is correct. Consistency is what counts. Cannot afford to have the sort of start we had by all accounts last week. If we are on our game from the off we will be fine. But need to gobble up our chances too. A run of wins now would do wonders for us all, players and fans alike.

I have thought all along our start for the 2nd running was awful. We have been playing catch up ever since. 6 wins and a couple of draws may be enough for the play offs.

Just finished watching the Birmingham Leeds match. If that is an average Championship performance I think we would need a considerable investment in the squad to survive at that level.

Back