• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is paying in bags of coppers pikey?

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
My last weeks in this god forsaken bank that I work for are really dragging. I am basically not allowed to see customers in case I try and poach them yet the still expect the normal hours of work. Every other financial insitute would give you gardening leave but not my money grabbing lot.

Anyway as a result of this I am killing time in anyway I can which basically means spending most of the day talking to the cashiers who are a good bunch.

What has amazed me is the amount of people that come in and pay in back of 1p's & 2p's. We will only take five full bags maximum anyway as we dont have the storage space to keep them over night but I do think - come on mate is life that hard.

Personally I keep my change in my wallett and I use it. The idea of counting out 100 shiney 1p's and degrading myself by asking the spotty oik on the counter to pay £1 into my account is horrific.

The ultimate humiliation happened today when a customer brought about twenty pounds worth of mixed change into the branch in a Lidl's carrier which split half way to the counter sending copper in all directions. He then asked the staff to help him pick them up before exploting our 5 bags rule by not only mixing bads (a big no no) and then paying 5 bags in for him, 5 for his wife and 4 for his daugher. A massive £14 saved there - what a hero.

Dont get me wrong I do know there is a credit crunch on and every penny counts but if your doing to do it then at least collect a load and use that bloody machine all the supermarkets have that you tip the money in an it counts it for you. Yes I know it charges 7% but that 7% more dignity in tact in my book.

So am I alone or is this one of the most degrading acts a human can do?

(Please note this comment does not apply to kids accounts as I fully accept its a good way to get kids saving plus its fun for them).

I put them in a charity pot, and then let someone else do the counting, leaving me with a warm feeling inside ;)

i'll keep £1 and 50p's to hand, but anything smaller goes in a pint glass. when it's full i take it down to HSBC in Sheffield where they have one of those coin-counting machines and it pays it into your account. job done!

I used to whack anything at the end of the day that was less than 50p in my wallet into a jar. Found that over six months I had enough to chip down to Tesco's armed with a jar of coins and get myself some goodies, walking into the bank with the money should be met with a chorus of "PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY".

i'll keep £1 and 50p's to hand, but anything smaller goes in a pint glass. when it's full i take it down to HSBC in Sheffield where they have one of those coin-counting machines and it pays it into your account. job done!

What he said. Once got upto nearly £70...though last one was just £15 :(

Same with me... Everything 50p up I keep in my wallet, smaller and it goes in the pot and when it's full, I take it to the coinbank machine or whatever it's called. During my spell at Uni every drink seemed to be £1.80 on a friday night so I used to come home every week with pocket-full's of 20p's. I soon worked out that a full jar of coins, minus the 7%, was about £45 which would pay for my shopping and a night out.

That's what we do. 5ps, 2ps and 1ps all go in to a big jar (called the fivesietwosieonesie pot), which has been going for about five years now. We'll probably cash it in ahead of our holiday in January.

Anything below 10p annoys me so into a jar it goes and when I've got a load (£15+) I go and change it for notes and buy a cd/dvd with it.

My uncle bought my (then) 11 year old brother a 2nd hand fruit machine back in the 80's in an attempt to show him the folly of gambling.

Most of our copper went into this and once my brother found where the keys were hidden he really began to master his craft without losing a penny.

I used to whack anything at the end of the day that was less than 50p in my wallet into a jar. Found that over six months I had enough to chip down to Tesco's armed with a jar of coins and get myself some goodies, walking into the bank with the money should be met with a chorus of "PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY".

Rather be a Pikey than a Mug! Using those machines at the supermarkets charge 7% of what you are putting in.

All loose change goes into a pot, in december I bag and bank it. Last year was over £350. Why should I lose £25 for something I could do sitting infront of Gillette Soccer Saturday?!

Get yourselves an electronic coin sorter and you are laughing all the way to the bank - literally.

Despite what DTS says I am sure most cashiers would rather be weighing bags of coins than being passed a hand written note by somebody brandishing a sawn off shotgun.

Do exactly the same

Start small, great oaks, watch the pennies - loads of old sayings and that which apply here. Always have done it, but having seen it from the other side as well - when all you had in the bank were the old scales - and if a bag was wrong you used to have to stand and count it, I have to say I can understand why there is a limit now in most cases.

As some of you may remember from previous posts, I've worked in a few different branches of Midland/HSBC, one of which was at the WTC in London - we had real extremes there - rich Americans and TV people that would come in and exchange/cash large amounts of money AND real down and out types, who somehow had bank accounts. One of these periodically used to literally go and dredge coins out of fountains where people had thrown them in to "make a wish" - the stench, the feel of these slimy coins (cos they never weighed right!) was one of the most foul things I've ever had to deal with (mouldy coconuts at a coconut shy was another!)....but customer service you see, you had to deal with it in those days!

While at Southend High Street, we also had a couple of the seafront arcades as customers - that was fun too, I can tell you! The hours I've stood and counted coin for them! They always looked after us at Christmas though and would always be chatty so I never used to mind too much.

I only ever take 50p or £1 out with my, as well as the notes. Anything else, I tend to get too ****ed to be able to count them up.

They all go into my jar at home which then gets emptied and Mum gives us the cash in notes and she puts the coins into her account. Simples. Good old Mum.

Loose change I keep for petrol stations, well more the petrol stations/mimi supermarkets. They make a fortune on overpriced grocery and a bigger fortune on petrol. So sod them they can have my loose change, and they can't complain as they can't take the petrol back out of my tank.

Back