• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Powell going to be as bad as Brown?

Strange how over the last few weeks there have been lots of posts demanding our own players get a chance....CP brings on Dru and then gets slagged because it wasn't McCoulsky.

This thread shoulb be renamed 'Is Powell going to get as many threads as Brown."

Strange how over the last few weeks there have been lots of posts demanding our own players get a chance....CP brings on Dru and then gets slagged because it wasn't McCoulsky.

This thread shoulb be renamed 'Is Powell going to get as many threads as Brown."

Its true that PB had a fair few threads about him and I know you and I contributed heavily to them. When Brown came, his managerial history had been well documented and it immediately made him more of a Marmite man than ever he was a Tango man. Oddly, Powell was championed by many and the dissenters are lining up rather early in his spell as manager with us. All managers will be questioned at some point, even Pep or Ferguson.

I didn't want CP to get the job. Not because I doubted his credentials but because he was a hero and I would rather it stayed that way. Hopefully he will be as loved as a manager through his successes as he was a player but it is a risk.

I do wonder about some of his decisions in the hot seat but thats football. He should certainly be given ample time and that would be a few more years yet!

Ridiculous. Criticism was nothing to do with own players versus loanees. It was about the positional aspects and surrendering half of the pitch.

Had the players done their job properly in the 1st half then this thread wouldn't exist. We played as well in the first 30 minutes as we have at any time this season. Not the manager's fault the team missed enough chances in that time to have won several matches. Yes we could and should have played a lot better in the 2nd half. My guess is that at least a couple of the starting line up will be moved on at some point between now and next June.

For those saying McCoulsky warmed up for 10 minutes, over the whole of the game he was warming up for a lot longer than that. I like McCoulsky. I Know he didn't play well at Gillingham etc BUT he is a good player. If I played for a team (will never happen LOL) and I kept being brought on in last 10 minutes of game I think my morale would be rock bottom and when I did get time it would show in my performance. Don't forget in 16/17 this was a 31 goal striker albeit some of that in lower league games. 31 goals is good by anyone's standards.

Also reference CP.
The look on his face sent me a message that was not how he planned the game so a lot of that responsibility lies with the players. They held on long enough at Barnsley so we know they are capable.

Back off SCP you lot .... Or I'm telling my mum :Happy:

One thing I think is a concern is we seem to burn out after about 75 minutes. Dieng in particular.

How fit are the team this season. They always seemed to be fitter under PB.

One thing I think is a concern is we seem to burn out after about 75 minutes. Dieng in particular.

I think they still had hangovers on Saturday from Turners birthday bash

Turner certainly looked like he had. No wonder he hardly headed the ball on Saturday!

I think that was when Dave Penney was assistant. We were miles fitter than everyone else in the early part of PB's spell (characterised by Will Atkinson's Duracell Bunny act) but I think it dropped off in recent years.

It's dropped off further this year but I don't know how much that is injuries to blame - Dieng missed a fair bit of pre-season (as did Dru and Hyam), and we then had that spell when we were without an entire midfield in September.

I'd certainly like to see this aspect improve next year.

I'd be interested to know how many chances we create in the last 15 minutes of most games and we do concede late, as well, at times.

I do think Brown got a unfair reaction some times from our fans.
He left the club in a much stronger position than when he joined.
Chris is a hero at the club and will always be given more time and favours
from the fans than Tango. Given that I did just think it was time to replace Brown.

What is a massive concern to me regard Chris.
How we concede goals in the last five minutes (normal and injury time)
Non Southend fans have even realised this, it is the butt of jokes in my local.
Another late late goal against Southend. When are they going to work on stopping that.
Really that comment is totally correct. Chris you are the Manager. Correct it.

Is it fitness, concentration or what.
However the injury situation is not down to anyone, they were all freak injurys, that could not have been avoided. As Ron Martin said back in September, when we were one place off the bottom four. I would be worried if I was in this position in February. Totally correct.
That means we have a transfer window to come before that.
Chris I think you will be judged then.
Finally I do wish our fans would realise football is about levels. Ours is where we are now.
A mid table 1st division club. With the injury's we aint doing that bad.

I think Powell and brown are more used to working at a higher level to be fare
I like to see some of the premiership managers have a go at lower league football

Why is this thread suggesting Brown was bad!! He got us out of that god awful League 2, and up to his final spell, improved us every year.

Personally I hope we remember CP for the good things and not the bad things, that everyone seems to focus on with PB!!!!

You have to factor circumstances when judging a manager. Since we have never been in more debt, if we include Sturrock, then all 3 managers have done a great job for us.

Sturrock saved the club from doing a Stockport. He arrived to just 4 professional players and the word in the game was don't go to Southend you wont get payed.

When PB took over (against advice from fellow managers) he got us a promotion with out spending any money. He kept us in L1 despite having to sell our 3 best players. The club has made £3m from those sales and he signed Dru for 4 years. So I guess in terms of business that makes PB our best ever manager.

CP arrived at the right time as it had gone stale and he managed a fantastic run with some excellent and exciting football with the very players many of you claimed were bad signings.

If Tilson, Webb or Dave Smith had the injuries we have had this season then none of them would have won promotion. Something some of you need to remember when your making a judgement...….Seasons aren't defined on how many minutes your 3rd choice sub had on the pitch......And stop kidding yourselves that we are "To Big" to draw with Crawley.

Last edited:
You have to factor circumstances when judging a manager. Since we have never been in more debt, if we include Sturrock, then all 3 managers have done a great job for us.

Sturrock saved the club from doing a Stockport. He arrived to just 4 professional players and the word in the game was don't go to Southend you wont get payed.

When PB took over (against advice from fellow managers) he got us a promotion with out spending any money. He kept us in L1 despite having to sell our 3 best players. The club has made £3m from those sales and he signed Dru for 4 years. So I guess in terms of business that makes PB our best ever manager.

CP arrived at the right time as it had gone stale and he managed a fantastic run with some excellent and exciting football with the very players many of you claimed were bad signings.

If Tilson, Webb or Dave Smith had the injuries we have had this season then none of them would have won promotion. Something some of you need to remember when your making a judgement...….Seasons aren't defined on how many minutes your 3rd choice sub had on the pitch......And stop kidding yourselves that we are "To Big" to draw with Crawley.

Some of you should remember that some people stated as fact that the world was flat.

Back