• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is relegation a fair price to pay for having a new stadium?

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
As I'm usually not very quick off the mark and plus the fact that I will be away for a week, from the evening of the Brentford game........I thought that I would get in first!
I believe that in the next couple of weeks we are going to have a bitter- sweet pill to swallow. There will be much celebration, (if not a tinge of sadness that Roots Hall's days are numbered), to hear that everything has been sorted for work on the new Stadium to begin. At the same time there will be some on here stating that "If only we can win our last three matches whilst Oldham and Orient just.................."
So the big question .....................'Is relegation a fair price to pay for having a new Stadium????

Ultimately our league position is temporary where as a new stadium is god willing permanent. We would be better off in League One but its not the end of the world. Its a chance to get used to winning again which is what we need.

Ultimately our league position is temporary where as a new stadium is god willing permanent. We would be better off in League One but its not the end of the world. Its a chance to get used to winning again which is what we need.

Like Cheltenham and Crewe you mean? Unless we have the cash to rebuild the team then even in League 2 we are doomed. UTB

[/b]
Like Cheltenham and Crewe you mean? Unless we have the cash to rebuild the team then even in League 2 we are doomed. UTB

I disagree actually...

If we keep the majority of players in this side right now.

And then they signing of some hungry non league players.

They don't cost that much money.

A side of

Mildenhall

Francis (if he stays)
Barret (can't see him leaving)
Baldwin (doubtful to sign in league 2 still possible though)
Herd (probably will stay)

Scannel (contract left)
Moussa (agreed terms for 2 1/2 year deal, will sign, according to Ronald)
Macca (probably will stay, does he have a year?)
Granty (a year and a bit left?)

Spencer (will be offered at least a year I would think)
Patterson (has a contract)

Sankofa (where else will he go?)
Crawford (hopefully accepts his offer)
Christophe (year left? Who's going to sign him?)
Laurent (year left? Who's going to sign him?)

addition of 4 or 5 hungry non leaguers signed up.

With the securing of funds from Sainsbury's, the ground starting to be built, paid off the tax bills and with a better all round financial situation.

The players will not be offered less money according to Ron, next season surely they will be paid on time. As i believe that they haven't been paid as the risk of not securing funds for paying H***!

We would surely be pushing for promotion. You must remember how poor this league is and how even worse League 2 is.

Maybe?

UTB

simple answer - yes

On the basis that we are running at a loss and Ron is unable/unwilling to prop us up then if we are not relegated this year it will happen at some point . Where as the stadium project gives us hope for the future.

The consortium were quoted as saying that we would run as a business and break even so on that basis I don't understand how things would get significantly better- unless I have misunderstood something .

The below interview by Barry Hearn at Orient is well worth a read re league one finances- sugardaddies and breaking evenhttp:
//www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/interviews/article-23818051-the-big-interview-barry-hearn.do

I would take the blow of relegation IF the stadium works start before KO in League 2 AND there is some CASH investment in new players. Not returning to League One at the first attempt will be failure in my eyes and Ron needs to provide the money to make this happen.

It's no good having the best stadium in League Two, with 5 or 6,000 in it every week. We must be in League One at least by the time the Sainsbury's Arena is open for business. I'm pretty sure RM will agree as well, so I'm hoping for some decent money for Tilly to go out and get the talent needed to do the job and quickly.

Last edited:
maybe we should see it as, we were scraping away in league 2 when stadium plans were lauded, and (if) it goes ahead we'll be back to league 2 with it going ahead, with the added bonus of these last few years of football, where lets be honest, have gone past all our wildest expectations!
it could have happened the other way, we had stayed in league two and watched 5 years or so of garbage. I guess im coming to terms with it a bit better, i kind of think though that if we have a bad season in league two next year(providing were still in business of course) with attendances of 2-3000 then we'll big in much bigger trouble then we think we are now

maybe we should see it as, we were scraping away in league 2 when stadium plans were lauded, and (if) it goes ahead we'll be back to league 2 with it going ahead, with the added bonus of these last few years of football, where lets be honest, have gone past all our wildest expectations!
it could have happened the other way, we had stayed in league two and watched 5 years or so of garbage. I guess im coming to terms with it a bit better, i kind of think though that if we have a bad season in league two next year(providing were still in business of course) with attendances of 2-3000 then we'll big in much bigger trouble then we think we are now

I don't think we will EVER see attendances that low for a league game again. Unless there is a boycott!....

we'll see if it starts by the end june as martin confirmed during the q&a. highly doubt it will happen

Whilst I can understand your doubts.........and who wouldn't following the last couple of years, I think, behind the scenes, things have progressed rapidly over the last weeks. As I stated on the Sainsbuy's & SUFC Partnership
thread, the stakes are now too high for Southend Council, Sainsbury's and Ron Martin (SUFC), to let this project fail. This fact could well explain the conspicuous silence emanating from the 'consortium'. I am SURE that we will have a new stadium...........even surer than I am, that we shall be relegated this season!

I don't think we will EVER see attendances that low for a league game again. Unless there is a boycott!....

sincerely hope your right smiffy, and i agree that perhaps our "hardcore" support has raised by a thousand or so by our recent illustrious successes. but if were geting whacked at home by morecambe with a team of people who dont give a rats ***, it could go this way,
everyones always banging on about "is this Tilsons biggest challenge". perhaps next season really will be.

I disagree actually...

If we keep the majority of players in this side right now.

And then they signing of some hungry non league players.

They don't cost that much money.

A side of

Mildenhall

Francis (if he stays)

Scannel (contract left)

addition of 4 or 5 hungry non leaguers signed up.

With the securing of funds from Sainsbury's, the ground starting to be built, paid off the tax bills and with a better all round financial situation.

The players will not be offered less money according to Ron, next season surely they will be paid on time. As i believe that they haven't been paid as the risk of not securing funds for paying H***!

We would surely be pushing for promotion. You must remember how poor this league is and how even worse League 2 is.

Maybe?

UTB

Id be amazed if half those players are still here. Mildey, Macca, Franno and Moose wont play in League 2. Weve already seen we accept paltry bids for our players so there will be plenty of takers.

Mildenhall

Francis (if he stays)

Scannel (contract left)

UTB

Ok put it this way. Campare that to the team which won promotion from that league. Only Francis, Macca and poss Moussa would even have a chance of getting in that team......we're well off from having a decent league 2 side.

In my opinion to challenge for promotion next season we would need to sign at the minimum:

- A recognised goalscorer at least conference level.
- An experiened center back.
- Decent wide midfield player.
- 3 to 4 other players to increase competetion in squad and cover for injuries.

This is all assuming that we keep all the current squad which i can't see happening.

Major problem we have now is....what decent player would want to sign for Southend United?

We have got to hope that Tilson can work another miracle!

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Mildenhall's contract up at the end of the season? Personally I can't see him being here at the end of the season. Wasn't Swindon interested in him before? Maybe a good no.2 for them if they stay down or get into the Championship?

If you mean is it worth watching a bad team in a new stadium well for me no. Once we have finished looking around and telling ourselfs how wonderfull the ground is, the focus will be on our losing team, in a nearly empty stadium. Of course do we have an option to stay at Roots hall, it seems not, so relegation is the price we have to pay.

As long as the rental terms for the new stadium are reasonable (i.e. a peppercorn :) ) and there is clarity about which revenue streams will come to he club then the future looks rosy so long as the development comes off.
One of the best things about the last 10 years has been the steady increase in the fan base so that when the success comes as it will, these things are cyclical, then there will be fans who will come and watch.
Plus people like Ricky Duncan with his fiefdom attaining academy status will stay.

The foundations for something quite special are in place. Not like when we gained our first ever promotion to the second tier and a miserable 6,000 turned up.

Fingers crossed for next week. Hopefully we will still have a club.

As long as the rental terms for the new stadium are reasonable 'i.e. a peppercorn :) ) and there is clarity about which revenue streams will come to the club then the future looks rosy so long as the development comes off.
One of the best things about the last 10 years has been the steady increase in the fan base so that when the success comes as it will, these things are cyclical, then there will be fans who will come and watch.
Plus people like Ricky Duncan with his fiefdom attaining academy status will stay.

The foundations for something quite special are in place. Not like when we gained our first ever promotion to the second tier and a miserable 6,000 turned up.

Fingers crossed for next week. Hopefully we will still have a club.

I think this is the nub of the problem. If we can get ourselves on a reasonable financial footing and

1) We have a permanent squad a bit larger than at present plus the quality to mount a promotion bid.
2) Demoralising stories of players not being payed become a thing of the
past.
3) We don't suffer anymore embargoes which prevent the signing of loan or
permanent players

With those provisos in place I don't think that relegation would be such a disaster. Following all the advances that SUFC have made over nearly a decade, one step backwards may not necessarily hinder our continuing progress over the next decade.

P.S................nearly forgot........

4) We are no longer obliged to regularly visit the courts.......and we become
the taxman's friend :)

Last edited:
If the New stadium provides the promised financial stability then it will be worth it.

Personally, without additional external funds, i can't see anything better for any team playing at RH than basement football with odd spells, when we get a number of cheap, quality players on the up, in a higher division. Pretty much what has been happening for 40 odd years really

Back