• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is relegation a fair price to pay for having a new stadium?

Personally, I can't see what the fuss is about. I am quite happy for us to continue on our 'upwards spiral' :)

FWIW, I still think we will escape relegation by the skin of our teeth. I feel that there was a showdown behind the scenes last week involving RM and the players who basically let him know that they would not be giving their all until the man who can find the dosh for a new Bentley, honours his other commitments.

Now that the wages are paid, I am hoping for an altogether better performance and even if we sink at Leeds with our devastated squad, hopefully we will see three wins and a draw from the remaining games including if we are lucky our last match at a then disappointed Southampton.

Fortunately others have tough run-ins too.

A dinosaur I might be but I still cannot see why we would be better off in div 2 with a brand new stadium rather than div 1 still at RH. 52 years of support and praying it's not the last for my beloved team. UTB

Not that we have much choice on the former, but relegation and the new ground on the way would be fine by me.. I think we could get excellent crowds in there in a successful league 2 campaign

Personally, I can't see what the fuss is about. I am quite happy for us to continue on our 'upwards spiral' :)

FWIW, I still think we will escape relegation by the skin of our teeth. I feel thet there was a showdown behind the scenes last week involving RM and the players who basically let him know that they would not be giving their all until the man who can find the dosh for a new Bentley, honours his other commitments.

Now that the wages are paid, I am hoping for an altogether better performance and even if we sink at Leeds with our devastated squad, hopefully we will see three wins and a draw from the remaining games including if we are lucky our last match at a then disappointed Southamp

Fortunately others have tough run-ins too.

WHAT!!!!................you mean to say, that the players tied Ron to a chair
and Adam threatened him with a 'BarrettCut' unless he came up with their wages? :O

A dinosaur I might be but I still cannot see why we would be better off in div 2 with a brand new stadium rather than div 1 still at RH. 52 years of support and praying it's not the last for my beloved team. UTB

It's not a question of being a dinosaur........it's more one of being in the 'real world'. In that world, Roots Hall is just not an option. We all have a soft spot for the old ground but hanging on to that belief will certainly bring about an end of our beloved team. Call it a parrot, a dinosaur, a dodo.......we'd be as dead as all those things without the new stadium.

Ok put it this way. Campare that to the team which won promotion from that league. Only Francis, Macca and poss Moussa would even have a chance of getting in that team......we're well off from having a decent league 2 side.

In my opinion to challenge for promotion next season we would need to sign at the minimum:

- A recognised goalscorer at least conference level.
- An experiened center back.
- Decent wide midfield player.
- 3 to 4 other players to increase competetion in squad and cover for injuries.

This is all assuming that we keep all the current squad which i can't see happening.

Major problem we have now is....what decent player would want to sign for Southend United?

We have got to hope that Tilson can work another miracle!

Scannell finally started to show he is exactly that in the weeks before he got injured. I'm sure he'll get a new contract now.

Scannell finally started to show he is exactly that in the weeks before he got injured. I'm sure he'll get a new contract now.

Agree with that. Thats why i said we need another 1 rather than 2. We need more competition for places.

Because surely you can see over those 52 years that we cant compete, or even survive at Roots Hall ?

We lose millions of pounds and need to be propped up by whoever owns the club in order to even compete at league one level.

Being in League two for a season is a temporary status that can be improved with the (alleged) increased revenues the new stadium will bring to enable us to support the club for another 52 years!

It's not a question of being a dinosaur........it's more one of being in the 'real world'. In that world, Roots Hall is just not an option. We all have a soft spot for the old ground but hanging on to that belief will certainly bring about an end of our beloved team. Call it a parrot, a dinosaur, a dodo.......we'd be as dead as all those things without the new stadium.
Being in the 'real world' as you call it has only resulted in cash being diverted from the real heartbeat of our football club and that is the quality of the players on the pitch and the results they achieve. Stadiums don't attract a fanbase, a successful team does. It is a chicken and egg scenario I grant you, but I do feel that the team should always come first. Get that right and the rest will follow.

Being in the 'real world' as you call it has only resulted in cash being diverted from the real heartbeat of our football club and that is the quality of the players on the pitch and the results they achieve. Stadiums don't attract a fanbase, a successful team does. It is a chicken and egg scenario I grant you, but I do feel that the team should always come first. Get that right and the rest will follow.

Whilst I can fully understand your sentiments, it is a sad fact in this nasty 'real world' of mine, that there are very few white nights prepared to sink millions into an essentially loss making concern, just for the love of it. Ron Martin would probably be obliged to take a diametrically different approach to you concerning our team and stadium. Surely,the essential thing is that we all end up, sooner or later, with what we all seek...........a successfully run club with a team and a ground of which we can all be proud.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that if we go down then it will take 2 seasons to get back to where we are now, and then another couple to progress further, subject to what finances are available to significantly strenghten the squad. By that time we will have 11 new faces playing every week, and this/next seasons team will all be history.

1 win in 16 would suggest otherwise!

Or going back a little further 3 wins in our last 23 games, with 13 defeats out of our last 14 away games. Surely according to the laws of average we are due an away win soon???????. (Mind you, Gillingham hav'nt won away all season so their fans must be thinking the same thing?).

Or going back a little further 3 wins in our last 23 games, with 13 defeats out of our last 14 away games. Surely according to the laws of average we are due an away win soon???????. (Mind you, Gillingham hav'nt won away all season so their fans must be thinking the same thing?).

Its incredible we are only 3 points from safety not that I think that it makes much difference.

Whilst I can fully understand your sentiments, it is a sad fact in this nasty 'real world' of mine, that there are very few white nights prepared to sink millions into an essentially loss making concern, just for the love of it. Ron Martin would probably be obliged to take a diametrically different approach to you concerning our team and stadium. Surely,the essential thing is that we all end up, sooner or later, with what we all seek...........a successfully run club with a team and a ground of which we can all be proud.
Hi, I hear what you say but cannot accept that SUFC have got their priorities right here. I hope and pray that I am wrong and we do go on to both achieve success on and off the field but I am pessimistic about our chances. I wish that I did not feel this way but I do feel that it is me who lives in the 'real world' here wanting on field success before a fancy new stadium.

Hi, I hear what you say but cannot accept that SUFC have got their priorities right here. I hope and pray that I am wrong and we do go on to both achieve success on and off the field but I am pessimistic about our chances. I wish that I did not feel this way but I do feel that it is me who lives in the 'real world' here wanting on field success before a fancy new stadium.

TBH I don't think that SUFC have diverted funds from the team to the stadium

RM may have spent money on the stadium, but there is no evidence what so ever that he would have put this towards the team had the stadium not been planned, in fact if the Stadium was not planned I doubt if RM would be here at all.

Money has been needed to be pumped into the football club for many many years now, Vic couldn't do it (he borrowed it hence the debts in the mid 90's which nessecitated the sale of the ground/B&L to clear them) and RM has only been able do do so by using the future income the development promised. The delays in the development meant delays in the income and he is now unable to put any further money into the football team until things start moving on the development.

Back