• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Total over-reaction! :facepalm:

When does it start to become a fear.

Other teams have signed 8+ players of quality.

We have lost a large chunk of quality from our side and are nowhere near replacing that quality.

We also have a very disjointed pre season involving non league and premier league kids. The latter of which is unplayable due to the club not having the pitch ready.

We could start arguably our first (pre) season game of the season next Saturday about 6+ players light.

Im not saying the PB cant turn this around , but its poor again from the club.

Its not an over reaction, we are going to start League 1 in a worse place than when we got promoted last season, I for 1 will be just happy to get over that 50 point marker this season.

As yet we have no experienced GK and a centre back who for all his effort & pride is half the player he used to be, that seems to be our best player in the squad at the moment aside Lenny!

The way I look at it is, are there 5 squads in the League 1 worse than us at the moment? & what with Wimbledon & Oxford making good signings & the likes of Bolton, Charlton, Sheff Utd, Coventry, Millwall etc all strengthening.......we could be in for a long long season unless the chairman invests (with what??) or rabbits can be pulled from hats, which SUFC doesn't have a history of!!

As things stand I am a little worried as the task post settling in to the league was to presumably move on, develop the squad, bringing in better players. That hasnt happened as yet.
Mc Glashen I have seen offer considerable pace and have been impressed but also know he is potentially just marginally more consistent than say Straker or Weston. Demetriou is surely a very good signing.
I see Lenny and Coker as very able in this league, with potential from young Smith in Goal.Other than that the rest are mediocre if not next seasons league 2 fodder
With the loss of Payne, Worrall, Bentley and Bolger we need to bring in some significant quality and soon if we expect players to settle in to the area, team, staff, ground, systems/ formations, fitness etc etc

At the moment, I would say yes. I think we will go down.

We have not replaced players YET. We ended last season in very poor form and I cant see us changing it with Brown in charge.

The season hasn't started yet.Yes I would to see a few more quality players before the season starts.The time to worry is at Christmas when stuck in the bottom half of table. Let's have some positive vibes!!

I think a more interesting discussion and thread title would be "Should questions have a question mark at the end".

Yep big fears, our form from February (IIRC) onwards was relegation fodder and Brown clearly lost the dressing room. I'm also hearing that Coker and Wordsworth are wanting away and that a few others find the managers egotistical and mood swings hard to respect.

The mansger doesn't help swanning away on holiday the important week before players become free agents, he publicly announced his targets most of which we miss out on. Now a potential signing with whom we are in advanced discussions is an absolute gamble with his maverick track record over the past few years, desperate times me thinks.

Before the usual handful of berks start questioning me, as proving with my track record around transfers I have my sources.

Can't be doing with all the doom and gloom, we had a good season last year...challenged around the play offs for some time before ending up mid table. Yes, we've lost some players but we usually do, and we usually replace them quite well.

I don't think you can seriously consider being relegation material until about October, by then you've had the chance to gauge most of the players in our own squad and a number of the opposition. Even then there's still plenty of time to turn things around - try being a little more optimistic!

At this moment in time, I'm not really worried, and relegation is certainly not a fear. If we bring in some plain bog standard league one quality players to replace the ones we have lost, I still think we will be good enough to survive the drop. I honestly don't think Southend are one of the 4 weakest teams in the division.

we did have some awful luck last season, dropping points in the final minutes of a lot of games, if we can get that part of our game right, & if we bring in a few above par players, I could see us being a consistent mid table team throughout the season, not being in a relegation battle, but not flirting with the play off's either. My best placed expectation would be 9th, my worst would be 16th.

Can't be doing with all the doom and gloom, we had a good season last year...challenged around the play offs for some time before ending up mid table. Yes, we've lost some players but we usually do, and we usually replace them quite well.

I don't think you can seriously consider being relegation material until about October, by then you've had the chance to gauge most of the players in our own squad and a number of the opposition. Even then there's still plenty of time to turn things around - try being a little more optimistic!

I do try....but, one thing we have lost is the positivity & momentum promotion gives you, we ended the season badly with Brown not talking to players after defeats, for sometimes days, & losing the respect of those players, I have been told when they win you couldn't play for anyone better, the place is buzzing but lose & he sulks for days........some of those players are still within the squad...............we will have to wait & see, Brown has a big job on his hands & needs to change his ways abit to get people back on side

The Victors & Victorias are tuning up nicely for the season..
On the team verses last year I have to reserve judgement until the beginning of the season (as does anyone else who isn't guessing). I think the recruitment between now and then is more likely to impact on whether we are mid table or playoff contenders- I don't think relegation is a massive risk but its possible for the majority of teams. Its a competitive division.

Given our history of never staying long in this division, always being relegated within 3 seasons unless we went up at the first attempt, I can understand the worry.
Personally , I would have said relegation would have been a distinct possibily had Brown gone , but I doubt we will finish higher than the season just gone.

Got just as much chance of going up as going down. Always been hard to predict an up coming season at the "Hall"
However, my main opinion of PB as a coach is that he is too experienced, organized and connected within the game to take us back down. Pretty confident about that. Staying in L1 for the next couple of season will be a good thing for me as a life long fan and also give the club an opportunity to strengthen on and off the field.

Thought people over estimated the quality of our squad last season because we started off so well, so as long as we bring in players better then we had we should be fine.

Cant see us improving on Bentley or Payne, but we have already brought in a better right back than we had so have improved elsewhere.

PLenty of time left yet.

So we finished above Bury who brought in some pretty reasonable talent last season in a bid to achieve back to back promotions. Not sure that's the sort of news we want for this thread as we are already relegated before we kick a ball according to some.

Back