• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Ron very Clever????

shrimperton

Manager
The way this all looks this morning after a good nights sleep, is Ron seems to have played his cards very close to his chest, cleverly maybe??

Sturrocks deal was obviously tied up a while ago, Tilson gone on the Sunday, Sturrock in on the monday.

This leads me to believe Ron obviously doesnt trust Tilly with the new cah injection into the squad, which there must be if Sturrock took the job, otherwise who would take this job, you would be mad?

Ron has had this plan for quite a while, relegation or not, Tilly was never gonna be here next season, thats why no assistant was ever appointed.

Ron and Sturrock must have gone over the squad together and that why maybe Barrett and Macca went quickly to allow space for Sturrocks clean build of sufc.

I am not a Ron fan but if he does what he says and steadys this ship into calmer waters and gets the stadium built and we are back into a good league 1 position by the time Sturrocks contract is up, wont we all forget thsi and say he is a genuis and a bigger messiah than Tilly???

There is a lot of i's to dot and T's to cross but i am feeling optimistic this morning that things may now move onward and upward.

Why would Sturrock take the job, he has a high reputation in lower league football than most to protect, without some assurance from Ron that this ship will turn into a cruise liner!!

Don't be silly. We can't have optomism on here.

Seems plausible, though.

there's no doubt he's a very intelligent man, just what lets him down is his ability to tell the truth and countless pr cockup's. oh yeah not to mention paying the staff.

Sturrock must have spoke to players already about coming here, some deals may already be 80% done, he is not gonna take this job with 9 players

Ron has cleared the decks for him to build ghis own team and a fresh start to life in league 2 and a new SUFC

Id never thought id say this but lets give Ron time to see where this goes, its obviously a work in progress, we have been kept well in the dark over this.

Im inclined to agree with shrimperj.. we needed a change, its happened.. not in a very nice way but then these things seldom do go well

This deal was obviously done a little while ago. I think Tilly's got wind of this and thought 'I'm off'. The chairman wouldn't accept his resignation but couldn't sack him because the reaction to that would have been 10 times worse than what it was. So he puts him on gardening leave to save face.

Now, there's a scenario but at this club at the moment it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

I think Ron's been very clever. Sturrock has a proven track record and is a very good appointment and as someone else mentioned he has a wealth of experience so will have a fair few contacts in the game. I don't know a lot about Widdrington but coming from Sailsbury he could have his contacts for the raw non league talent.

Last edited:
The way this all looks this morning after a good nights sleep, is Ron seems to have played his cards very close to his chest, cleverly maybe??

Sturrocks deal was obviously tied up a while ago, Tilson gone on the Sunday, Sturrock in on the monday.

This leads me to believe Ron obviously doesnt trust Tilly with the new cah injection into the squad, which there must be if Sturrock took the job, otherwise who would take this job, you would be mad?

Ron has had this plan for quite a while, relegation or not, Tilly was never gonna be here next season, thats why no assistant was ever appointed.

Ron and Sturrock must have gone over the squad together and that why maybe Barrett and Macca went quickly to allow space for Sturrocks clean build of sufc.

I am not a Ron fan but if he does what he says and steadys this ship into calmer waters and gets the stadium built and we are back into a good league 1 position by the time Sturrocks contract is up, wont we all forget thsi and say he is a genuis and a bigger messiah than Tilly???

There is a lot of i's to dot and T's to cross but i am feeling optimistic this morning that things may now move onward and upward.

Why would Sturrock take the job, he has a high reputation in lower league football than most to protect, without some assurance from Ron that this ship will turn into a cruise liner!!

Excellent post ,CJ, well thought out and very plausible. Good Stuff

Sturrock's appointment certainly poses a few questions.

Maybe with a new manager in place & the window open we'll unveil a host of new players we'd had lined up.

****. what have I been drinking?! haha.

Have thought the same thing. I am so confused by Ron.

I dont understand why Ron decided to stick his head above the parapit and sack Tilly (in effect) if he didnt have the best interest of the club at his heart all be it in the short term. Its apparant to me he needs sucess for the club to make his propostion more attractive.

I dont trust him but now the dust has settled a bit I feel its possibly a good move.

The more, anybody supports Ron's ideas - the more it seems, you deserve each other.

The man is a ****, he has just taken our club down to league 2 - or have you forgotten that?

He has refused to pay tax bills on time, and borrowed money wich is resulting in winding up orders! Or have you forgotten that too..

FFS, wake up and smell the coffee - Ron has literally pulled our pants down and spanked us senseless, get a ****ing grip you ****.

Everyone at Southend United got paid last week. The players were also told NOT to report back till this morning which is due a 10-00am. Looks like this was on the drawing board for ages with Luggy being in Scotland, a dialog; a contract and a number two added? it all takes time.
Clever or underhand? our lines are open.

Have thought the same thing. I am so confused by Ron.

I dont understand why Ron decided to stick his head above the parapit and sack Tilly (in effect) if he didnt have the best interest of the club at his heart all be it in the short term. Its apparant to me he needs sucess for the club to make his propostion more attractive.

I dont trust him but now the dust has settled a bit I feel its possibly a good move.

Its a very brave decision and for his "popularity" the worst thing hecould do to himself.

If he wanted to appease people then sacking Tilson wasnt the thing to do, yet he did it.

Whilst I think he blames Tilson too much and should shoulder a huge part of the blame himself I do think a change is a good thing at the moment.

Now he needs to ensure this new "1st July" budget sorts the finances out, that part I have very little faith in.

This seems the most posistive thing to happen to OUR club for a long time, lets hope and pray players will now follow, Ron could have gone for a mickey mouse manager, but he hasnt he has gone for an experienced man on 3 year deal, who has been in these positions before, lets give him credit for that, its give me confidence this morning that things are gonna be ok.

We are not out of the woods but at least we have a bloody axe now to start chopping!!!!

This deal was obviously done a little while ago. I think Tilly's got wind of this and thought 'I'm off'. The chairman wouldn't accept his resignation but couldn't sack him because the reaction to that would have been 10 times worse than what it was. So he puts him on gardening leave to save face.

Now, there's a scenario but at this club at the moment it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

I think Ron's been very clever. Sturrock has a proven track record and is a very good appointment and as someone else mentioned he has a wealth of experience so will have a fair few contacts in the game. I don't know a lot about Widdrington but coming from Sailsbury he could have his contacts for the raw non league talent.

That doesnt really make sense?

It would be far cheaper to accept his resignation and sacking Tilson was the harshest thing for him to do.

Gardening leave = sacked

This is all may be true, and I hope it is.

I don't trust Ron, I don't like how he has treated people, I don't like how he is running MY football club. The way this season has been handled will never be forgotten. Barrett and Tilly's treatment will not be forgiven.

The more, anybody supports Ron's ideas - the more it seems, you deserve each other.

The man is a ****, he has just taken our club down to league 2 - or have you forgotten that?

Which is where we were when he took over - or have you forgotten that?
He has refused to pay tax bills on time, and borrowed money wich is resulting in winding up orders! Or have you forgotten that too..

FFS, wake up and smell the coffee - Ron has literally pulled our pants down and spanked us senseless, get a ****ing grip you ****.

If you don't mind, I think I'll just hang on a second and see if he has finally got the finance in place that appointing Sturrock argues he has before I finally make up my mind.

Abusing people doesn't help convince them of your arguement, by the way.

So J. One question ?

Do you want to be right - which means that Southend, our team could be gone !

or wrong ? - which means that we will be around next season, with a squad of new players and a manager.

Too me, you seem to want to be right, if this is the case, you are worse than the people that hope to be able to 'dream' and 'hope'.

Back