• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
So that's the World Player of the Year, the Balon D'or, the PFA Player of the Year, the Football Writers Footballer of the Year, the European Golden Shoe and something called the FIFPro Award. It seems that the only thing Cristiano Ronaldo hasn't won in the last twelve months is the US election. The awards are stacking up and it's a good job they pay him so much money at Manchester United, because he'll need to build another mantelpiece to fit them all on.

Who could argue with any of them? Even if, like me, you can't stand the diving and the petulance, it is impossible to deny that the Portuguese frontman was the most successful footballer of 2008. 42 goals in a season, a league title, a Champions League title and the dubious honour of the Big Sepp Blatter World Club Champions Big Cup. Lionel Messi might be the better player, and there's a debate that could go on for a while, but no-one can match Ronaldo where it counts, in the silverware stakes.

This latest bauble comes at a strange time for the ever-tanned winger. He can probably count himself lucky that it wasn't a posthumous award, as the Chelsea fans so charmingly reminded him with their catchy ditty, 'You Should Have Died In The Tunnel' on Sunday. Manchester United lost one young forward in 2003 when Jimmy Davis was killed in a motorway car crash. They were all too close to losing another one last week.

A brush with death can have a profound effect on a sensitive mind, so it will be interesting to see what manner of Ronaldo clambered out of the wreckage. Will he drop the arrogance, the preening and the nastiness? Will he begin take his role seriously? We can but hope. At least he seems to be accepting that Manchester United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, rather than treating them as some kind of unfashionable stepping stone to Madrid.

"This is the climax of a fantastic era for me," he burbled. "I'm happy and proud about what has been done by my team and what we have won. I am lucky to be part of the history of a club like Manchester United."

Yes, Cristiano, you certainly are. Some managers would have bowed to media pressure and booted him out after the 2006 World Cup, or after months of watching his early tricks and flicks come to nothing. Ronaldo owes every trinket in his collection to Sir Alex Ferguson, the man who has moulded him into a world class player. You only have to look at the sad sight of Denilson, the old Denilson, being forced to jump through hoops for Gary Megson at Bolton, to see what happens to footballers with all the skill and none of the application.

"It's a privilege to have such a great club manager," he admitted on receiving the award.

What was that? Humility? In public? Goodness me.

That near-miss in the tunnel could be more valuable to Ronaldo the man than all those awards are to Ronaldo the player. Imagine how good he could be if he grows up.

At least in Madrid they drive on the right-hand side of the road. It should reduce the chances of him crashing next season.

Ronaldo is a terrific player and deserves all the awards his won over the last year or so. Last season he seemed to have cut out the diving, play acting, and childish behaviour when being fouled etc, just watch our game vs Man Utd to see how bad he used to be. Its embarrasing.

Unfortunately, this things are creeping back into his game. His kicked out a couple of times recently, and seems to be reacting more and more to the crowd.

I pray he doesn't slip into old habits, because when his on form he is breath takingly good.

Did notice against Chelsea that he actually rode a tackle that I think most players would have gone down for, and carried on with the ball. Is there hope....?

Back