• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Roots Hall a "community asset"?

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Just seen a piece on the Daily Politics which referred to Oxford supporters having got the Kassam stadium listed as a "community asset."

Apparenty this has also been used by CAMRA to stop local pubs being closed and then sold on for housing etc.

Given that FF seems ever less likely to actually get built, shouldn't the Trust (and even SUISA) be looking at getting Roots Hall declared as a "community asset?"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22509557

Just seen a piece on the Daily Politics which referred to Oxford supporters having got the Kassam stadium listed as a "community asset."

Apparenty this has also been used by CAMRA to stop local pubs being closed and then sold on for housing etc.

Given that FF seems ever less likely to actually get built, shouldn't the Trust (and even SUISA) be looking at getting Roots Hall declared as a "community asset?"

Why? It needs vast sums of money spent on it and if Ron loses out on Sainsburys then that'd be the end of the football club. So you'd have a big old empty and redundant football ground sitting on a cracked old car park in a decaying area of boarded up properties.

Why? It needs vast sums of money spent on it and if Ron loses out on Sainsburys then that'd be the end of the football club. So you'd have a big old empty and redundant football ground sitting on a cracked old car park in a decaying area of boarded up properties.

Surely we must be getting near the end game now where FF is concerned?

(Thinking outside the box) if not Roots Hall, then how about getting FF declared a "community asset?"

After all, that's efffectively what Oxford supporters have done with their new stadium.

If Oxford can do it then why can't we?After all they're a L2 club like us.

Surely we must be getting near the end game now where FF is concerned?

(Thinking outside the box) if not Roots Hall, then how about getting FF declared a "community asset?"

After all, that's efffectively what Oxford supporters have done with their new stadium.

If Oxford can do it then why can't we?After all they're a L2 club like us.

How is it the same as what Oxford have done? Their stadium has been built, while ours hasn't started.

Also, will declaring it a "community asset" help it get built?

Even though FF hasnt been built, really when you think about it is a community asset and more importantly a very much needed item.Not just for the supporters and members but for the whole of the community.

Hard to justify something that doesnt exist as an assett.

Plus its not for the whole community, what does it provide to the community outside of football?

Plus its not for the whole community, what does it provide to the community outside of football?

The club supplies a lot to the community through SUCET, but that isn't exclusive to Roots Hall and would accompany the club for as long as the club wants it and wherever the club calls home.

The club supplies a lot to the community through SUCET, but that isn't exclusive to Roots Hall and would accompany the club for as long as the club wants it and wherever the club calls home.

Im aware of the Community Trustand am sure they do some good stuff but how much would the majority of Southend residents actually miss it though?

If Southend United disappeared today, other than football supporters would the clubs presence really be felt throughout the town on a community level?

I live 10 minutes walk from the club and if I wasnt into football the only impact SUFC would have on me would be when they have been into the school, but if that never happened it wouldnt really affect me.

I guess in relation to the ground being a community asset Id imagine most of hte work the Trust do isnt actually related to the stadium anyway?

Roots Hall is a pastimes stadium which needs replacing with a hyper store and good quality housing to create jobs and home. SUFC is a community asset that binds and creates wealth and health. FF will create jobs and enhance the Borough AND any council worth their expenses and attendance claims WOULD do ALL it could to push that scenario and the redevelopment of the old Sainsbury site along. But that isn't the type of Council or local MPs we have elected here!
40 years ago a marina consortium wanted to build either here or at Brighton, we have no marina, we have an old football ground but this council of ours don't seem to want things to happen despite having a chief executive paid £150,000 a year who live 60 miles away and he's his expenses including travelling paid to get here where he obviously doesn't want to live.
Rant, rant rant. Use your vote well friends!

I think the heritage status could be helped by naming that car park after Stan Collymore - I know the bar is named after him but I think he was less interested in drinking and more interested in.....car parks

Yes it is used by C.A.M.R.A. and is a practice that has been very sucesfull, not so much locally
Although its been especialy succesfull in certain parts of London.
However. Yes Southend United is a Community asset. However Fossetts Farm (if it happens) is the only way forward for Southend United.

However, if FF doesn't happen and worse case scenario the club goes under I assume we're going to want to start again as Aldershot Town did? If that happens we'll need a ground to play in and I'd be confident that a succesful AFC Southend style club doing well, even in the lower reaches of the non-league pyramid, would attract crowds bigger than any other ground in the area could hold.

So best thing would surely be to somehow protect the status of Roots Hall so we could continue playing there even if that was as a new supporter run club in non-league?

This has perhaps come 10-15 years too late.

#barnabluegetsitwrongagain

Back