• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would imagine that even Luggy has some doubts about tactics. He has relied on Hoofball and got results in the past. Failure to achieve promotion last season from the position we had...would have come as both a suprise and a huge blow!

Purely playing devils advocate here, but maybe the tactics were spot on, but the players weren't good enough.

Purely playing devils advocate here, but maybe the tactics were spot on, but the players weren't good enough.

I was more than happy with the system and way we played, it was just lack of quality in the final third and an inabilty to defend one set piece that outdid us.

Most of the team Id stick with, Id bring Freddy and Harris in as soon as fit though, and probably put Spicer instead of Ferdinand.

Didn't notice a change in style myself, and I should know, I tore Football Manager 2012 apart last season. The back four still looked to punt it long and into the corners until Cresswell came on and they tried to revolutionize the game by pumping down the middle.

Having said that, their goalkeeper kept them in the game IMO.

Cant tell from here, but if PS is realy trying to adopt a more passing game, then lets give guy time for it to kick in. The team realy do need a lift, after getting the run around from to many Prem and Champ friendlies, followed by an opening game against another Champ side, to many injuries before the season is hardly underway hasnt helped either. Full squad, start passing to feet, i think it will come good.

Cant tell from here, but if PS is realy trying to adopt a more passing game, then lets give guy time for it to kick in. The team realy do need a lift, after getting the run around from to many Prem and Champ friendlies, followed by an opening game against another Champ side, to many injuries before the season is hardly underway hasnt helped either. Full squad, start passing to feet, i think it will come good.

Interesting point about the friendlies. It's a bit of a tradition on here to moan every year about the teams we play whoever they are but most years they do have some kind of progression about them in terms of strength of teams played. This year's set of pre-season fixtures had a very unbalanced look about them.

Agree with Dick Bate's Protege: I saw no real change in style. We were playing long-balls to the head of Leonard from the start, and all that changed in the second half is the long-balls were more often, completely ignoring people in decent positions further up the pitch in favour of the hopeful punt. Why on earth was Cresswell brought on in favour of Harris?!

Real dire stuff, in my opinion. PS has got some decent players in, but surely with the likes of Hall, Harris and Eastwood we should be outplaying many L2 teams with ease? I hope this does happen, but am not so sure.

I like Benyon, but it's down to training and tactics for the game etc. Not just that he rates him.

The worrying thing about Benyon is that I fear he will turn into another ''Hooper'' Macdonald'' or ''Harold''

They all struggled for us , but went to score goals for others.......

i think PS can keep us a steady mid table side and thats all .He came in did a job by bringing in players he knew
all on a budget he had a purple patch of 17 games last year and i think we have seen the best of him .i'v not been impressed with his tactics or game plans and feel Coughlan is not the right man just the only choice he had to help him at the time but a player with no coaching experience whatsoever but someone who i think has a big influence with PS decisions.
God forbid if PS leaves and Coughlan got the job .
PS i think has had his moment here and when he eventually goes the next Manager will revitalise it all again by bringing new back room staff with him.
i know i'm going to get slated for saying these thoughts but what heck!

The worrying thing about Benyon is that I fear he will turn into another ''Hooper'' Macdonald'' or ''Harold''

They all struggled for us , but went to score goals for others.......

He has never been given a proper run in the team, and when he does get on the pitch, most of the time he watches the ball sail over his head!! :sad:

With the exception of Kane all the players were brought to the club by Sturrock. He must of thought they were good enough! As for the tatics, they are straight out of The Geoffrey Hughes book on coaching. Hoof it up to your oponents pen area and hope for the best!!!!!
Well worth the twenty-one pounds entrance fee,as Saturday's attendance showed.

STURROCK
Season one , kept the team afloat and into mid table safety after inheriting 3 men and a dog - great effort.
Season Two , not great football at all ( certainly at home ) , but excellent away form and huge points total almost achieving the ultimate goal of promotion - again , great effort.
This season is only one league game old , but despite being unlucky in terms of efforts etc , it wasn't a great performance.
But in defence of Sturrock , Mohsni , Grant , Hall and Eastwood , arguably the four most influential players we finished the season with ( not necessarily the four best before someone argues that point ) , have all in one way or another conspired to disrupt what could have been a really strong starting team.
So in conclusion , this will clearly be the season he is 'judged' by the powers that be , but it could turn out to be his most difficult one to date , as IMO our squad is weaker overall ( and may get more so ) and a few of the stronger sides have seemingly better squads than last season.
Think we need to give him time , but I think it's going to be a long , hard season.

STURROCK
Season one , kept the team afloat and into mid table safety after inheriting 3 men and a dog - great effort.
Season Two , not great football at all ( certainly at home ) , but excellent away form and huge points total almost achieving the ultimate goal of promotion - again , great effort.
This season is only one league game old , but despite being unlucky in terms of efforts etc , it wasn't a great performance.
But in defence of Sturrock , Mohsni , Grant , Hall and Eastwood , arguably the four most influential players we finished the season with ( not necessarily the four best before someone argues that point ) , have all in one way or another conspired to disrupt what could have been a really strong starting team.
So in conclusion , this will clearly be the season he is 'judged' by the powers that be , but it could turn out to be his most difficult one to date , as IMO our squad is weaker overall ( and may get more so ) and a few of the stronger sides have seemingly better squads than last season.
Think we need to give him time , but I think it's going to be a long , hard season.

By 'conspired to disrupt' , I don't mean anything sinister - just the fact of leaving , wanting to leave and lack of fitness

With the exception of Kane all the players were brought to the club by Sturrock. He must of thought they were good enough! As for the tatics, they are straight out of The Geoffrey Hughes book on coaching. Hoof it up to your oponents pen area and hope for the best!!!!!

Why is it that people havent noticed that we arent just hoofing up to the opponents area?

We stopped doing this about 8 games before the end of last season and only really did it on Saturday towards the end when Cresswell came in.

We are also playing 442 now as opposed to just Dickinson up on his own.

As for Saturdays attendance, people are still on holiday and the V festival was on. we never get a massive crowd first game of the season.

220px-Geoffrey_Hughes.jpg

I think you mean Charles Hughes.

:facepalm:

Why is it that people havent noticed that we arent just hoofing up to the opponents area?

We stopped doing this about 8 games before the end of last season and only really did it on Saturday towards the end when Cresswell came in.

We are also playing 442 now as opposed to just Dickinson up on his own.

As for Saturdays attendance, people are still on holiday and the V festival was on. we never get a massive crowd first game of the season.

All four points spot on Jam Man.

Might add to that PS did have a plan B and did not wait until the last five minutes to use it. It may not have come off, but it did create more activity up front in and I felt we were unlucky not to get an equaliser from it.

I asked the question in March whether Sturrock could prove to hinder our promotion bid rather than help it. His 'hoof ball' tactics are greatly exagerrated but I'm really not keen on his continual playing of players out of position. Saturday disappointed me to see that we were still doing exactly that - especially with the bench we had.

When Luggy arrived he spoke of how he likes building clubs back up and, in terms of the football side of things, he's done exactly that. There were no players to speak of when he arrived and what he did in year one cannot be questioned. Last year I felt he should have delivered promotion with the squad we had / built over the year. I backed us to win the league from the beginning and felt promotion was a strong possibility. Now, the pressure is really on because the disappointment of last season is lingering around and fans patience is very short indeed - as I witnessed at Posh last week. I'm now thinking 'he's built us back up into a strong position football wise...what can he do from here?'

Can he take us up this time round? I hope so. Do I believe he will? I'm not sure I do tbh, but I hope to see improvements at Oxford tonight and the same on Saturday and hopefully we'll get our season under way with positive results in both.

This is my view for what its worth, I wholeheartedly applaud Mr sturrock for coming to the club when he did, building a team that could compete. Then last season where we amassed all those points and those goals and still miss out on promotion still gets me down now. So all in all sturrock has been very good for SUFC no one can deny that. BUT.....................I just cant help think that maybe someone else would have got a little bit more out of certain players that would have just seen us over the line, how on earth he didnt play harris a bit more and more importantly to his style baffles me, Lee sawyer......simply could have been something special in the centre of the park but sturrock insisted on trying to convert him to a wide player, complete nonsense, even on saturday some iffy team selection followed by subs that were odd, and one more thing he does himself no favors by refusing to do anything other than play Timlin, he was rubbish for the last two months of the season, has had no real pre season this year yet walks into the team on saturday sturrock may as well go the whole hog and adopt him.

This is my view for what its worth, I wholeheartedly applaud Mr sturrock for coming to the club when he did, building a team that could compete. Then last season where we amassed all those points and those goals and still miss out on promotion still gets me down now. So all in all sturrock has been very good for SUFC no one can deny that. BUT.....................I just cant help think that maybe someone else would have got a little bit more out of certain players that would have just seen us over the line, how on earth he didnt play harris a bit more and more importantly to his style baffles me, Lee sawyer......simply could have been something special in the centre of the park but sturrock insisted on trying to convert him to a wide player, complete nonsense, even on saturday some iffy team selection followed by subs that were odd, and one more thing he does himself no favors by refusing to do anything other than play Timlin, he was rubbish for the last two months of the season, has had no real pre season this year yet walks into the team on saturday sturrock may as well go the whole hog and adopt him.

Its ok criticising but wheres the alternatives ?

Sawyer has not made it at ANY club. Its not like we failed to get the most out of a good player, he hasnt shown anyone he is one. I really dont see him as being special.

Timlin, who would we have played in the middle if he hadnt played? He has signed Spicer who I think will be a good signing, but he isnt fit yet either.

As for the style and not getting the most out of Harris, as Ive said above he has changed the style and because of that we went on a very good run the end of last season, and we seem to be still trying to play in that way.

Back