• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onceknownasrab

President
Is Sturrock really a 'must have' ingredient to get us promotion or is he aiming to do well but merely firing blanks? I am incapable of understanding many of the decisions the man makes. Not just tactics but personnel and the use of personnel. Last year he brought in Sampson and persisted with him even though he produced too little. He was young and although he may have talent he did not have experience and lg 2 or not many of the defenders are not mugs. This season he brings in Assombalonga, a different unit but equally inexperienced and yet he gets the vote over strikers we have on the books that Sturrock signed. Then to add further insult to the squad he sticks Cresswell up front to further dent any remaining confidence our forward players have. At Peterborough we played a 4-4-2 formation. When did he do that last season when we were carving out so many results on the road? We could have done with an extra bod in the middle to try and stem the inevitable flow. Is he saying he was wrong last term or does not have a clue this time round. Over the years, decades, of watching The Blues, I like the rest of you have had opinions on teams and tactics but never have I been so bereft of any clue as to what the gaffer is trying to do as now. Is this all just error or is there an agenda? Answers on a postcard please.....:unsure:

I think PS has listened to the supporters demand for better football and less hoofball. We are definitely trying to pass it through midfield more but PS is far from sure of our best line up or formation to pull this off. We, as supporters, need to back him and the players while the changes are being made. With the quality we have assembled in the squad favourable results will soon follow.

I think PS has listened to the supporters demand for better football and less hoofball. We are definitely trying to pass it through midfield more but PS is far from sure of our best line up or formation to pull this off. We, as supporters, need to back him and the players while the changes are being made. With the quality we have assembled in the squad favourable results will soon follow.
If his uncertainty was because he had listened to the supporters and is changing the tactics this season, then A) He should have listened earlier or stood by his own conviction and B) I was just as confused with many of his selections/tactics last season.

So we criticise the style of play last year and this year when he changes to using a 442 (which was what we were playing end of the season when we went 2nd in the form table) we are criticising him for not playing like he did last season.

Wish I could be a manager, sounds awesome.

I would imagine that even Luggy has some doubts about tactics. He has relied on Hoofball and got results in the past. Failure to achieve promotion last season from the position we had...would have come as both a suprise and a huge blow!

So we criticise the style of play last year and this year when he changes to using a 442 (which was what we were playing end of the season when we went 2nd in the form table) we are criticising him for not playing like he did last season.

Wish I could be a manager, sounds awesome.
Yes I have questioned tactics but most importantly I have queried the personnel choices and use of them.

Now now, we have not seen the team this season so we can't leap in and judge. I'll be getting down a couple of times in the coming weeks with an open mind like usual. I do hope to see the ball on the ground a lot more, it's just a shame we didn't suss that out earlier last season because the playing staff would have got us up doing that. I do have an open mind,...but in the back of it, I am expecting to see substitutions that make me gasp with disbelief, a starting 11 that has at least 2 players playing out of position and an un-necessarily negative approach. If any of these things are not present then I guess we are taking a tactical step forward!

Paul should explain to Bilel how little £180k is in English money. That was not a real bid. It was his 'new pals' West Ham laughing at him and calling him rubbish. The best way to prove them wrong would be to put our shirt on and show them.

Is Sturrock really a 'must have' ingredient to get us promotion or is he aiming to do well but merely firing blanks? I am incapable of understanding many of the decisions the man makes. Not just tactics but personnel and the use of personnel. Last year he brought in Sampson and persisted with him even though he produced too little. He was young and although he may have talent he did not have experience and lg 2 or not many of the defenders are not mugs. This season he brings in Assombalonga, a different unit but equally inexperienced and yet he gets the vote over strikers we have on the books that Sturrock signed. Then to add further insult to the squad he sticks Cresswell up front to further dent any remaining confidence our forward players have. At Peterborough we played a 4-4-2 formation. When did he do that last season when we were carving out so many results on the road? We could have done with an extra bod in the middle to try and stem the inevitable flow. Is he saying he was wrong last term or does not have a clue this time round. Over the years, decades, of watching The Blues, I like the rest of you have had opinions on teams and tactics but never have I been so bereft of any clue as to what the gaffer is trying to do as now. Is this all just error or is there an agenda? Answers on a postcard please.....:unsure:

You know what mate? I think you've found out your problem. Your understanding of football tactics and decision making!

The big suprise for me..is that Luggy has not signed a big, powerful forward. He loves a long punt...yet has not gone overboard in replacing BBBC.

why replace him when he's still here?

And that we are also looking at a different style of play which by the looks of it doesn't require a bloke the size of a refrigerator.

Some people are NEVER happy. Moan about one thing and then when that's changed moan about the change.

JOKE!

And that we are also looking at a different style of play which by the looks of it doesn't require a bloke the size of a refrigerator.

Some people are NEVER happy. Moan about one thing and then when that's changed moan about the change.

JOKE!

Indeed we have changed the one thing people complained about last year, the style.

We would rather better football and not win they said. Didnt think that would be the case :)

As Napster says, at the moment we have Corr if we are going to need someone big, but the fact we dont Im hoping means we arent going to rely on so many direct "passes".

I was flabbergasted when Cresswell was put up front but it did have a positive effect when we wanted to try something different.

Indeed we have changed the one thing people complained about last year, the style.

We would rather better football and not win they said. Didnt think that would be the case :)

As Napster says, at the moment we have Corr if we are going to need someone big, but the fact we dont Im hoping means we arent going to rely on so many direct "passes".

I was flabbergasted when Cresswell was put up front but it did have a positive effect when we wanted to try something different.

Yeah, I was impressed with Cresswell, because he's a proper professional he can adapt to what he has to do unlike poor old Bilel who although was great at times found it hard to flick a ball on.

I like Benyon, and was a bit disappointed he didn't start. For a small bloke he can hold the ball up, aslong as it's not to his midget head.

I like Cresswell...good signing.

I was merely suprised that Luggy had not signed the kind of target man he likes. Is not a complaint, if we play more ball to feet.

Firstly I'm not a ex international with a decent managerial record behind me. However, I am in agreement with the author with some of the picks - why sign Benyon in the first place, he is either good enough or he isn't, make a decision on him and stick with it.

Firstly I'm not a ex international with a decent managerial record behind me. However, I am in agreement with the author with some of the picks - why sign Benyon in the first place, he is either good enough or he isn't, make a decision on him and stick with it.

I like Benyon, but it's down to training and tactics for the game etc. Not just that he rates him.

I think he is a good manager and we are generally lucky to have him. He does baffle me with some of the things he does. However when you consider

* We now have saleable assets (Mohsni, Hall)
* His scouting net work found those assets
* We had a great season last ywars points wise
* We have signed players at L2 level onpaper that we wouldnt have got in the past (Harris, Smith)
* We haven't ever flirted with relegation
* He has brought through youth players such as Kane.

I think he is a good manager and we are generally lucky to have him. He does baffle me with some of the things he does. However when you consider

* We now have saleable assets (Mohsni, Hall)
* His scouting net work found those assets
* We had a great season last ywars points wise
* We have signed players at L2 level onpaper that we wouldnt have got in the past (Harris, Smith)
* We haven't ever flirted with relegation
* He has brought through youth players such as Kane.

Bang on about Kane.

He spotted that possible transition from CB to CDM to CAM. He's proved he can get in good positions in the box and grab a few goals. Kane can be a really good CM for us. Let's hope he seriously kicks on this year. That's all down to PS!

Back