• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

leroyjean

Youth Team
I'm quite a fan of PS, but I really am at a loss to understand what he was doing in the 88th minute today. We're in the lead. We now concede a free kick in a dangerous area, so what happens? Substitution. And not even a hint that it's one designed to preserve the lead: it's an attacker taking the place of a holding midfielder. What's THAT all about?? Just at the point that we need to be concentrating on defending a free kick, and after the free kick has been awarded, we change our personnel. Can someone out there guess what PS was trying to achieve?

I'm quite a fan of PS, but I really am at a loss to understand what he was doing in the 88th minute today. We're in the lead. We now concede a free kick in a dangerous area, so what happens? Substitution. And not even a hint that it's one designed to preserve the lead: it's an attacker taking the place of a holding midfielder. What's THAT all about?? Just at the point that we need to be concentrating on defending a free kick, and after the free kick has been awarded, we change our personnel. Can someone out there guess what PS was trying to achieve?

Alluded to that earlier. Never ever make a sub when defending a set piece

Err Mayor isn't a holding midfielder, but your right we didn't need a sub at all and if you had to bring anyone on at that stage it would be Spillane not Corr, mad.

Totally agree and also we yesterday said the same thing when watching it - I can think that he (Ie PS) thought that by adding Corrs height for the last couple of minutes it would have assisted when defending corners and maybe even that set piece !

Substitutions in the last few minutes are common for both teams when a match is close.
For the team behind to try and get back into the game , and for the leading team to run down the clock.
Nothing odd , nothing sinister , and if we'd won , nothing to discuss.

Do we blame Sturrock .Well no to many injurys at the wrong time How can any manager unless he has a very large squad have any chance of putting out a team of any note .Just rember we have lost the main part of our engine . LAIRD TIMLIN AND MAC went back to millwall .That was th3e drive that gave us so many wins on the bounce .Plas our back 4 chops and changes no PHILIPS OR BARKER . That's what has cost us dear .And I wonder if Sturrock heart is in it any more with the constant talk of he will be sacked by Ron at the end of the season .Ron should keep his big mouth shut he wants to rember .When sturrock took over he didn't even have a team .Sometimes Paul Sturrock gets it wrong but the guy holds his hands up when he does and the guy yesterday who should have cleared the danger had been on the pitch all match not the subs .

Substitutions in the last few minutes are common for both teams when a match is close.
For the team behind to try and get back into the game , and for the leading team to run down the clock.
Nothing odd , nothing sinister , and if we'd won , nothing to discuss.
It's the choice of players he brought on that's the bad thing not the fact he made a substitution, why bring on a striker for a midfielder when you're winning?

Last edited:
Wasn't at the game yesterday however so not 100% sure of when the substitutional took place but if as you allude to, Corr came on whilst we were defending a set piece then that substitution had be set up at least a couple of minutes prior to the set piece so that the Assistant can check his gear over and set up the board. In the 88th minute you are not going to cancel a substitution just because of a dead ball as you would have to start the process of making the sub all over again potentially running into injury time making the sub pointless (ala Sturrocks decision to bring on Freddy)

Sturrock seemed to be quite happy with the game going nowhere in the second half the game was screaming out for Corr to come on for that clown, in the end we scored a goal out of nothing but apart from that created **** all.

Corr had been warming up for sometime and suspect had we not scored when we did he would have come on earlier.

I have no problem with the change itself. Mayor bottled a number of challenges yesterday so taking him off, putting Corr up front, and bringing Moshni back into a more defensive role with a few minutes to go makes sense. The extra height should also (in theory at least) have helped us to defend set pieces and crosses.

Agree with the timing though and never like to see substitutions when defending a set piece.

Sturrock seemed to be quite happy with the game going nowhere in the second half the game was screaming out for Corr to come on for that clown, in the end we scored a goal out of nothing but apart from that created **** all.

If you mean Mohsni, you are very wrong. You don't like him, we get that, but he was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch yesterday and if you think we needed to bring Mohsni off, you know nothing about football.

If you mean Mohsni, you are very wrong. You don't like him, we get that, but he was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch yesterday and if you think we needed to bring Mohsni off, you know nothing about football.

Head and shoulders above everybody else? I must have been watching a different game then. I thought he did alright to be fair but he wasn't that good.

Head and shoulders above everybody else? I must have been watching a different game then. I thought he did alright to be fair but he wasn't that good.

You can buy Mohsni is a hero glasses in the club store obviously. Also brings temporary memory loss.

Agree with that, I thought he had some nice touches on the whole, but he spent much of the game in an offside position due to trundling back with his arms waving theatrically in the air like a Shakespearian actor.

Personally I'd have replaced him with Corr after an hour.

You can buy Mohsni is a hero glasses in the club store obviously. Also brings temporary memory loss.

Not to mention the "loss of self respect and morality" add-ons you can also buy with them.

I think they're printing out temporary "Mohsni" shirts where you can peel the letters off when he leaves in June.

Mohsni was good first half, sticking near Britt and doing his job.

Second half he reverted to wandering where he wanted and we lost all shape as a result.

Back