• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
Firstly I don't want this thread to end up as a slagging off of PB. Emotions are running high after the highs and lows of today.

My opinion is that he got it wrong today, both Moshni and Straker playing and out of position was clearly not right, but on another day and with a bit more help from the ref we could have got something out of the game. Moshni looked like a duck out of water and at times even disinterested. Straker, for all his effort, just isn't good enough. Lund and Leonard would have the right to be totally ****ed off watching that today. In terms of PB I think some of the criticism has been harsh, he arrived under a storm and straight away had to prepare a team for two games in 4 days, both on paper tough and we remained unbeaten, then with all the PS thing going on he had to prepare the team for a cup final. I feel he was on a hiding to nothing today, win and we love him, lose and the topic of PS pops up. BUT, today has gone, whether PB will succeed or not remains to be seen, but the next month and the remaining games are crucial and we must support the guy, he didn't sack PS, he didn't sign these players but he must be judged next season not this.

My emotions arent running that high tbh, if anything I feel a bit numb knowing that once again we will be starting again with wholesale changes to the squad and a new manager.

I enjoyed the day despite the outcome/performance, watching my team with my Dad, my Brother and GF at wembley can never be bad.

Brown has got these games to judge the calibre of player at the club and the type/integrity of the players, he's certainly getting that. As much as his personality/history grates with me, I agree with ShrimperJon theres no way you can properly judge him until at least midway next season.

If we are playing good football and up there in the league he can be any shade of orange and wear any brand of bluetooth headset he likes.

He's the manager now and the buck stops with him. Ask Tilley & Luggy. He didn't get the best out of the squad today.

He fielded SEVEN defensive outfield players in a Wembley Final, six of them defenders. Is the criticism justified? Yes. Without a doubt.

I didn't always agree with Luggy's team selection all the time but that line-up was a disgrace.

Got home and watched the game again. Steve Tilson got it spot on regarding tactics and player positions. Funny that!

First thing I said to my old man when I saw the lineup was, "is he going for damage limitation? what's he trying to defend?". Team selection was really poor in my opinion. Mohsni in midfield just doesn't work. Centre back - yes, target man - yes, centre mid - no. He was really bad today and Lund or Leonard would have done a much better job.

6 defenders in a cup final is just ridiculous. Went 1-0 down after 5 minutes to an absolutely sublime goal and then had a team set up defensively to defend what? Being 1-0 down?

Picking very unfit players and playing others out of position is unforgivable when we had other good options. Only saving grace for me was Tomlin. Really looked up for it and thought he had a blinder in the 2nd half. My only worry being that he almost looked like he was trying to put himself firmly in the shop window for any potential suitors who would without a doubt been watching.

All in all feel very let down by Brown. He'll get my backing until/if he fails with a team that was his own making. But I'm not a fan of what I've seen so far I'm afraid.

Its too early to say one way or the other as to whether his tenure will be a success, but it's been a dreadful start if you ask me. The concern is not picking the wrong team once, but doing it twice in a row and not changing it until after the hour mark. I don't want to hark back to Sturrock as he is gone now, but didn't he pick the wrong team in the Semi final and made a change after about 30 minutes? For Brown, 2 games in a row and nothing - hasn't even switched the wingers.

Having woken up in reflective mood I am still of the same opinion on two matters.

Firstly, Mohsni for the second game running was exposed in CM, maybe unfairly on him but definitely not his position.

Secondly, Straker is absolutely dreadful wherever we play him

It worries me that it cried out for a change at half time but nothing came

Maybe the formation worked on the training ground, I don't know, but having seen them perform all season I along with thousands of others knew we were in trouble as soon as the team was announced.

I pray PB has learnt from this

Overall I felt the rest of the team were Ok, but saying that I don't remember us winning the second ball more than a couple of times during the game.

We only looked a threat when Barry came on and it may not be pretty but it's effective. We must stop playing high balls to our vertically challenged forwards if Barry is not on. The ball just comes back and the opposition win it.

My 9 year old son who watches all home games even turned to me yesterday and asked why Mohsni was in centre midfield as he can't play there

Enough said !

Up the blues

MOHSNI is not a CM so cannot be blamed for a poor performance,How pb could field such a lopsided team makes me wonder.Also Straker has been tried and failed on the left flank,with Lund , Leonard who i feel very sad for and Reeves could not get into that squad ill never know.One thing i think is certain now neither Lund or Reeves will sign for Southend and most certainly i think Leonard will move on at seasons end.In each case i think it will be Southends loss.I also hope that PB will step up come next season and hope theses team selections are not what hes really about.Yes Tilly is correct the buck stops with the manager.He puts the team out there.I feel really disappointed for the 31000 supporters that turned up to watch.:'(

No it's not. While I wasn't happy with his appointment, I was well prepared to give him a chance but the two games this week were very, very poor. I thought I'd calm down after a nights sleep but I'm still just as ****ed off, and I'm normally mister positive, always willing to give players & managers a chance. Two weeks ago he was praising the squad he inherited as being full of quality and yesterday he said we're lacking quality. Normally with a new manager you get a 'bounce' effect, people wanting to impress, the new guy motivating the players and getting them to do the simple things first. So far we've got worse, the players look confused and unmotivated.

He got the selection wrong, but Martin's shameful treatment of Sturrock is the main driver here. Brown shouldn't have had the opportunity to pick the wrong team in the first place, and now Ron's bold move has backfired massively - playoffs unlikely and no cup final victory.

Some very honest opinions and ones the I mostly agree with, although I still think with a bit more luck we could have got something. Although only a short time in charge PB has not had the normal new manager affect, which is slightly worrying. He must have been given some advice by GC and if so why on earth did Leonard and lund not get in the side ahead of Straker and Moshni, Leonard in particular would have done a good job on the left or right. Unfortunately as many have said, we can't replay the game and its s shame that there is so much disappointment after what should have been a happy occasion. The result we can handle the performance and team selection we can't. As a season ticket holder I have become used to disappointment over the past 34 years, but I just wanted us to put in a performance to show those non regulars what we are capable of and unfortunately that never happened.

PB hasn't had the benefit of watching them all season so he won't know who his best team is. He'll also need to try things out, and sometimes get things wrong, until the summer when he can release half the squad and effectively start again (our chairman and many people on here see that as progress). This is what you get when you swap your manager two weeks before a cup final.

There will be many opportunities to debate this going forwards, but irrespective of what happened yesterday I still don't understand why we traded someone with Sturrock's CV for someone with Phil Brown's.

I don't buy all this 'he picked the wrong team' rhetoric. Whether he could have picked a better team for the job is a fair question but the team he did pick could easily have won that game. Nailed on pen not given, handball on the line stopping a goal, and Britt was inches offside with his 'goal'. Individual players made errors, often players everyone would have had in their team regardless (Clohessy, hurst, mak). I don't know if brown is the right man for the job or not, yet, but please let's give the guy a chance & not be on his back from day one.

We lost to a decent L1 team & with some big decisions going our way the result could have been very different.

Luck, ha, “I just thought we lacked that little bit in the final third that could have got us a goal" , well Mr Brown if you pack your team full of defenders...... bollox you work it out !!

Was going to enjoy the day out regardless but FFS it could of been so much better..

He fielded SEVEN defensive outfield players in a Wembley Final, six of them defenders. Is the criticism justified? Yes. Without a doubt.

I didn't always agree with Luggy's team selection all the time but that line-up was a disgrace.

Brown wasn't here when we played brentford away cup replay. 6 defenders straker in front of barker rings a bell doesn't it. We have a centre half coach, hardly going to play attacking football?

Back