• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

banjo saviola

First XI
As I mentioned on another thread, I've watched a fair few Ryman Prem games this year and have been surprised by how direct it is. It is very much headers and volleys for 90 minutes with the ball very rarely going sideways to the widemen & fullbacks where there is space.

I discussed this with a manager of an Essex Senior team yesterday who says the current fashion is the 3 to 4 pass rule (i.e. The ball must be in the opposition third within 3 passes). He says that they are sucked into playing that way as everyone else does and he can't afford any luxury players...they all need to be workhorses.

From a Blues perspective....I'm not really sure what our style is!....but I can relate this to the Jack Payne issue where he is clearly our most technically gifted player but finding the right role for him is difficult.

So, to the original question. Is the passing game dead?...and are we going to see fewer Jack Payne's and more athletic type players in the future?

Having watched East Thurrock, Grays and Billericay lately, the concept of width seems to escape players. Bees round a jam-jar! Numerous times the players seem connected to the ball by a magnetic field.

Having seen about two thirds of the Ryman Premier teams this season, I'm not sure I'd agree with you. I've seen some very decent football, particularly in the earlier months of the season when the pitches were better.

Having seen about two thirds of the Ryman Premier teams this season, I'm not sure I'd agree with you. I've seen some very decent football, particularly in the earlier months of the season when the pitches were better.
I often watch lowly Sunday league and most of the players want to play passing football. It's the same old story though in this country, where the money stays at the top with the richest clubs with hardley any spent on improving the ploughed fields or bogs that are the pitches of grass roots football where the youngsters play.
Untill this changes only the elitest few or sons of professionals will get the real chance to play passing football. imo

I often watch lowly Sunday league and most of the players want to play passing football. It's the same old story though in this country, where the money stays at the top with the richest clubs with hardley any spent on improving the ploughed fields or bogs that are the pitches of grass roots football where the youngsters play.
Untill this changes only the elitest few or sons of professionals will get the real chance to play passing football. imo

When arthritic ankles finished my playing career at a reasonable amateur level, I turned out occasionally for local Saturday league teams and very occasionally Sunday ones. With pitches like Leigh marshes and others around the Borough, good passing football was not something that came normally to players, if fact you counted yourself lucky if you survived matches intact. When the opportunities came along to play on a reasonable playing surface it was always 'Yeah, we can play the passing game today'. Unfortunately a lot of the lads couldn't string two passes together on a bowling green to save their lives. Nothing to do with playing surfaces, just that they had sheds full of enthusiasm, loved football and not a lot else. That's the joy of amateur football, sod the quality, enjoy the game. What was true, however, was that the better the quality of the club (standard wise), the better the playing surface. I reckon that if you have the basic ability and application you will end up with a club with a reasonable pitch to play on. What really worries me now is watching some of the boys sides when I walk the wife through our local parks. Once I've let her off the leash for a good run around I'll watch the matches for a while and passing often plays no real part in the brutal shouting matches that come from the touchlines. It seems to be about winning at all costs rather than learning the game.

the sooner artificial pitches are allowed in the higher leagues the better as they will filter down and allow teams to play football. while winter remains a no go area for teams that want to play passing football teams will always furnish themselves with cloggers who cope better in those conditions and very little else. we have the technology to make football pitches usable in winter, it seems stupid not to do it.

i hope she's not on here to read that mate, or you might end up in the wifehouse

Luckily not. I think a fair few of us may get in deep manure if our other halves started paying attention to SZ. Got to go, she's scratching at the front door.

So, to the original question. Is the passing game dead?

Bit of an extreme reaction to Timlin being subbed again.

Most players don't come through the Ryamn League and come through Premier and Football League Academies where passing football is very much the style.

As I mentioned on another thread, I've watched a fair few Ryman Prem games this year and have been surprised by how direct it is. It is very much headers and volleys for 90 minutes with the ball very rarely going sideways to the widemen & fullbacks where there is space.

I discussed this with a manager of an Essex Senior team yesterday who says the current fashion is the 3 to 4 pass rule (i.e. The ball must be in the opposition third within 3 passes). He says that they are sucked into playing that way as everyone else does and he can't afford any luxury players...they all need to be workhorses.

From a Blues perspective....I'm not really sure what our style is!....but I can relate this to the Jack Payne issue where he is clearly our most technically gifted player but finding the right role for him is difficult.

So, to the original question. Is the passing game dead?...and are we going to see fewer Jack Payne's and more athletic type players in the future?

Having watched a fair bit at Ryman level over the years this is nothing new. The passing game isn't dead, it was never alive at that level

ive seen teams try it a little more in pre season and early in the season, but pitches deteriorate so quickly its not worth trying it after september and before april at the other end.

ive seen teams try it a little more in pre season and early in the season, but pitches deteriorate so quickly its not worth trying it after september and before april at the other end.

It's a good point but the pitches are better than park pitches and a lot of Sunday league sides manage to pass it about a bit

Back