• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't wish to sound like a bleating idiot but am I the only one thinking there's not a lot of cash this time round ?
Just been promoted - all over the telly - pretty high profile manager signing up for further 3 years but it seems we are struggling to hold on to players. Would have thought they would be queuing up to sign and not going down a division?
Bit alarming if the likes of Stevenage etc are outbidding us - which has been hinted in another thread.

Don't wish to sound like a bleating idiot but am I the only one thinking there's not a lot of cash this time round ?
Just been promoted - all over the telly - pretty high profile manager signing up for further 3 years but it seems we are struggling to hold on to players. Would have thought they would be queuing up to sign and not going down a division?
Bit alarming if the likes of Stevenage etc are outbidding us - which has been hinted in another thread.

99% of players are away still as are the agents and 99% of things said on this board from a source are bollocks so I really wouldn't worry. I have been invited to three footballer golf days next week alone so I don'y think anyone is even back in training.

Surely this would have been discussed by Brown when signing his contract. If there was minimal or no funds, I'm sure he wouldn't sign.
Have to balance up getting sucked into a bidding war and getting the right players. I would expect l2 have to offer more to compensate for the drop in division, so I would expect that some l2 teams with a little bit of dosh might have to offer more?

Whilst I am sure we are not overflowing with cash, I don't think the pot is empty, that could well be down to a bit of financial prudency in not getting sucked into bidding wars and inflated contract negotiations.

That would depend on who and what they were outbidding us for. We've been down the road of overspending before and we're arguably still recovering. I'd much rather we bid within our means and let others learn the painful lesson we've already had to.

It COULD be a sign of an empty pot, but there's no specific reason to think it actually IS.

Early days - I remember a couple of years ago we had filled our team and then along came a couple of great trialists who had contract negotiations break down or couldn't get contracts at higher divisions.

Best to keep our powder dry - there will be players that won't be getting the contracts they ideally want in Division 2 and we will be waiting to see who comes along. :smile:

We can always start the season with a front three of Weston, Payne and Williams. :thumbsup:

We are always going to be outbid for players, we arent the biggest club in the world, we certainly arent the richest.

Rumour has it Ron has large investments in Greece :unsure:

spending loads don't guarantee sucess

Indeed, just ask Orient.

Last year we had threads about why we had let Col U take Holman from under our noses and why we hadnt offered a better deal, then he did nothing and was dumped back into non-league.

So we dont want to be paying too much for players we cant afford, and those we do sign have to be worth the money.

Early days - I remember a couple of years ago we had filled our team and then along came a couple of great trialists who had contract negotiations break down or couldn't get contracts at higher divisions.

Best to keep our powder dry - there will be players that won't be getting the contracts they ideally want in Division 2 and we will be waiting to see who comes along. :smile:

We can always start the season with a front three of Weston, Payne and Williams. :thumbsup:

We did OK with James Lawson up front last time we went up......what's he doing in August?

That would depend on who and what they were outbidding us for. We've been down the road of overspending before and we're arguably still recovering. I'd much rather we bid within our means and let others learn the painful lesson we've already had to.

It COULD be a sign of an empty pot, but there's no specific reason to think it actually IS.

Are you suggesting we as a club have been burgled and at some point a Islamic Terrorist Group could be involved? This is a worrying development.

I would certainly disagree with this. I've never known such a back room staff at the club. Goal keeping coaches, under 21 team, reserve team, 3 other coaches in DP, GC and diet and fitness guys.... I'm not sure how you can say we're not investing.

To be fair I never said Stevenage had offered more money than us, just that Stevenage appears to be Mooney's first choice if rumours are accurate. There could be other reasons besides money for that, playing under Sheringham for instance. I doubt we are paying less wages than Stevenage.

I bet we're not even after Mooney. Amazing how rumours bandied about on here on a whim suddenly become fact.

Yep. Definitely just you.
Some of us are conscious that the long term future of the club remains very uncertain - we're in a load of debt and don't really have any way of paying it off. But we don't link this to the failure to sign loads of players for loads of cash with 6 weeks to go until the season starts. Yoga will help you relax.

Back