• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zeuss

Manager
Deegan was playing really well,breaking the rhythm of a very capable Coventry side with excellent tackling.Shaving off his beard might help a bit but the real need is for competent,consistent,fair-minded referees.Some hope ! The idiot today failed to card players on both sides for challenges that were far worse than either of Deegan's.This idiot capped his performance by only giving a yellow to their keeper who upended Atkinson who had dribbled round him and was about to tap it into the empty net!

Both yellows were justified though, so the only person who can stop the persecution is Deegan himself. Every yellow I've seen him get this season has been totally deserved, so I'm not sure why you think he's being hard done by!!

What's even more frustrating is that he was playing well, but we can't afford to keep running a risk with him I'm afraid

bit of both today for me. he played well but it looked like the ref was desperate to send him off. i think the ref was very tempted to book him for his response to the first booking and probably told him he didn't have any chances left. the second yellow was never, ever worthy of a yellow card but the ref was always going to show it so he should have been subbed

The trouble with Deegan is he gives the ref such a torrent of verbal abuse on receiving his yellow that the ref is looking for any excuse to card him again - understandably so. Deegan needs to sort himself out and learn some self-discipline.

10 bookings in 15 games. That means 10 idiots persecuting him? The blokes a liability. Get rid, Brown.

First yellow was coming for the accumulation. IF, BIG IF, Deegs had accepted it and took his card and words from ref with any modicum of grace then I doubt he would have got the second so easily, quickly and without a prior, last warning.
He needs to mature mentally as, for example Bolger seems to have.
Also I felt Adam, as captain, ought to have had a word, AND Phil could have swapped him at half time as I suspected he was going to do that at 60 minutes anyway.
Agree their GK should have gone & I think the ref bottled it as he knew they had used their 3 subs.

None.
Barry Corr was the joint 4th highest scorer in all 4 divisions in the calendar year 2015 - he was persecuted by many.
Deegans role is to break up play - the most likely position on the pitch to pick up cards.

It was a miracle he didn't get a booking in the first few minutes. Terrible tackle to take the man out. He was playing really well, breaking up their attacks and laying it off well, apart from one howler. He is one of those that needs to be taken off after the first yellow tho, as you always feel he is going to badly mistime a tackle. He has such strong legs that the opposition player normally goes down like he's been hit by a bulldozer. So it looks really bad.

Why sadly ? That's his job. That's what he was put there to do. I just think he got sent off sooner than PB expected (hence not substituted)

Deegan was playing really well,breaking the rhythm of a very capable Coventry side with excellent tackling.Shaving off his beard might help a bit but the real need is for competent,consistent,fair-minded referees.Some hope ! The idiot today failed to card players on both sides for challenges that were far worse than either of Deegan's.This idiot capped his performance by only giving a yellow to their keeper who upended Atkinson who had dribbled round him and was about to tap it into the empty net!

Of course there are some on here who would claim that scenario is still not a clear goal scoring opportunity. Well done Will, following on from last week another great performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with both posts, Deegan is the Hulk, A monster, but in favour of him, he does wear his heart on his sleeve and wouldnt think twice about putting his head into some tackles, where as some other players would be afraid to even put their boot.
Due to his size and build, he scares the living daylights out of any opposition that has to man-mark him. For this, I think alot of managers see him as a dangerous threat to their tactics. And quite rightly so, he does boss the positions he plays in.

That being said, he is reckless, and consistently makes rash stupid aggressive tackles that are way over the top,
(and in my opinion, i think he likes the "bully" reputation).

There is no doubt he puts in 100% for our team, but he has absouletly no idea of the consequenses of his actions. IE: todays game, bringing us down to 10 men. (10 yellows in 15 games.. however is just plain stupid)

I can only imagine that Phil told him to calm down in the dressing room at half time, and he came out and did it all over again, and could have cost us 3 points today.

All being said, I would rather see him wearing a blues shirt, as appose to facing him in an oppositions jersey.

His job is to break up the play, even if that means playing on the edge
A job that now, thank god, Timlin will do far more effectively, and will be able to win the ball, without, as you so crudely put it "playing on the edge".

I'm not being crude. He was bought because we were getting bullied in midfield. His job it to get stuck in and rattle teams (and players like Joe Cole). I suppose the dilemma for the manager is, at what point do you hook him off, before he's sent off ? As you guys say, it could be costly !

I'm not being crude. He was bought because we were getting bullied in midfield. His job it to get stuck in and rattle teams (and players like Joe Cole). I suppose the dilemma for the manager is, at what point do you hook him off, before he's sent off ? As you guys say, it could be costly !
I think when Timlin is back, and God willing, with no more injuries, Deegan will become a very distant and forgettable episode which is not worth ever risking again.

Deegan is a liability and give much to the team. Anybody can run around like a headless chicken trying to disrupt the opposition. He needs to be able to more than that. Timlin can do that and yet he doesn't pick up a fraction of the bookings that Deegan does.

Maybe Brown should sell Deegan and not Worrall.

Your opinions although thoughtful, sure you have to concede Deegan although a good footballer has very little between ears

Back