• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

simac21

Coach
Heard today from a good source very close to Phil Brown that Saturday the players are travelling to the game by Train leaving Euston at 9:30am as we cant afford a night over! When we went Newport i noticed that Kings Ferry dont bring the players either wonder if thats due to late payments etc

Surely the team travelling on public transport will have a effect on tiredness during the game!

Seems unlikely, 87.50 for an advance return. For a squad of 18, plus Phil, Graham, Ben etc, that's the best part of 1.9k, they could easily hire a coach for a few hundred. If money is the issue, then getting the train would be a last resort at those prices.

Heard today from a good source very close to Phil Brown that Saturday the players are travelling to the game by Train leaving Euston at 9:30am as we cant afford a night over! When we went Newport i noticed that Kings Ferry dont bring the players either wonder if thats due to late payments etc

Surely the team travelling on public transport will have a effect on tiredness during the game!

Kings Ferry have not been used by the club all season. I will let you draw your own conclussions from that.

Train is a lost faster and first class is a great experience. I came back from Stockport not long ago and Bolton were on the train. Phil Brown said on Radio Essex he wanted this so I wouldn't read to much into it.

Dagenham and Redbridge do it all the time. They book in advance to get the cheap group deal tickets and sned the kit up in the back of a van. It's a good way to save money.

Phil Brown was on the radio the other day saying that he will be speaking to the Chairman about alternate travel arrangements short term, because of all the long distance games coming up. He seemed to think that those long and time consuming coach journeys take it out of the players. He said if the club is serious about promotion, then maybe the Chairman and Directors can help at this time.
This now seems to have happened for Exeter. The train is going to be much quicker, and probably good for more team bonding on their train adventure.

No. Actually it is completely the opposite. Brown wanted to go by train which is costing more money and is paid up front. Its funny how something unusual happens and we naturally assume the worst

A few months ago , a friend of mine bumped into Chris Powell and the Charlton team boarding a train from Euston.
My mate also thought this was a bit odd and raised the question with the man himself.
Apparently Chris laughed and said "this ain't the premier league you know !" - so if we do travel by train , there are others in much loftier positions doing the same.

Phil Brown was on the radio the other day saying that he will be speaking to the Chairman about alternate travel arrangements short term, because of all the long distance games coming up. He seemed to think that those long and time consuming coach journeys take it out of the players. He said if the club is serious about promotion, then maybe the Chairman and Directors can help at this time.
This now seems to have happened for Exeter. The train is going to be much quicker, and probably good for more team bonding on their train adventure.

Not only is it quicker etc, it is better because the players can stretch their legs more frequently. First class train travel is far more comfortable than any coach the team would likely use.

More to the point, they will need to behave themselves too!

rail is not cheap.It makes good sense. Coach travel is more knackering than rail.
To stay overnight at a good hotel in Morecambe would not be cheap. If they stayed at the wonderful Midland Hotel the whole years budget would be blown.

Was Morecambe the scene of the Hall/Ferdinand/Dickinson 'incident' a couple of seasons back? maybe the Hotels in the town dont want the team staying there! :omg:

This is a crap thread, i'm all for a bit of Ron bashing but in this case it's a good move by all involved.

This wouldnt be the first time we have done something similar. Last season certain away games we travelled up on the morning of the game to save in accomadation bills etc. I know if we were to go up by train this wouldnt be ideal as the players have certain nutritional needs and timings which would be almost impossible to meet by this method of transport.

This wouldnt be the first time we have done something similar. Last season certain away games we travelled up on the morning of the game to save in accomadation bills etc. I know if we were to go up by train this wouldnt be ideal as the players have certain nutritional needs and timings which would be almost impossible to meet by this method of transport.

I think you need to expand on this. I need a laugh.

Fair few clubs use trains to get to games.Man Utd have done in the past.Rail travel is certainly not cheap but is more comfortable than using a coach.

Back