• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

llama

Schoolboy
I had a 'Dream', last night, that with FIVE minutes to go in our match against Bury, the score line read Southend United 0 Bury 0.....

At first glance, this may appear to be more of a 'Nightmare' than a 'Dream', however, the other scores around the country, at the same time, were as follows:

Northampton 0 Gillingham 2
Fleetwood 0 Port Vale 2
Bristol Rovers 2 Millwall 0
Rochdale 0 Bradford 2

These scores translate to TWO facts:

1. As long as BURY do NOT concede a goal, in the last five minutes, then they will remain in League 1.
2. As long as SOUTHEND do NOT concede a goal, in the last five minutes, then they will make the play-offs.

So my question is:

Is the club 'Allowed' to put the latest scores on the electronic scoreboard notifying to the twenty-two players, on the field, that it is in the interest of BOTH teams, for the next five minutes, to take it in turns to dribble along the half-way line as per Germany v. Austria in 1982?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

I personally wouldn't want to get into the playoffs in such an unsporting fashion. There's a world of difference between one team running it into the corner at the end of the game to ensure they get the points and something like that. Let's just focus on getting the win tomorrow and see where we are when the results come in.

I'd rather we just went and win from that position than worrying about the status quo in an unsportsmanlike manner.

I don't think they're allowed to show "live" scores during play. Nothing, of course, to prevent any of us sharing the relevant information from the terraces!

It happened..... Coventry v Sunderland or Stoke in the old Div 1, late 70s. Coventry and their opponents needed a draw but only if the other team lost. There was a issue around kick offs and Coventry's was delayed by 15 mins. It was announced over the tannoy that the other team had lost, and thereafter the 22 players just passed the ball around and settled for a draw.

And then in 1982 the infamous West Germany v Austria game that saw them play out a 1-0 win for Germany, ensuring both qualified at the expense of Algeria.

Its why these last round games kick off at the same time.

I expect even if Bury weren't trying to score for five minutes; knowing our luck we would still mess up it and concede somehow.

No, flashing the scores wouldn't be allowed but both benches will know what's happening in the games at Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood anyway - if this scenario should occur then don't be at all surprised if both teams play out a draw. Why on earth would they risk anything else? Perfectly legal.

If teams that have already qualified for something wit a final etc and they field youngsters and make 11 changes to their team even if they are playing against a team in the thick of something , how is this any different ?!

It happened..... Coventry v Sunderland or Stoke in the old Div 1, late 70s. Coventry and their opponents needed a draw but only if the other team lost. There was a issue around kick offs and Coventry's was delayed by 15 mins. It was announced over the tannoy that the other team had lost, and thereafter the 22 players just passed the ball around and settled for a draw.

Yep, I remember this very well. It was the final game of the 1976-77 season.

Coventry City were playing Bristol City and both would stay up if they drew the match and Sunderland lost at Everton.

As you say, the Coventry match kicked-off late and Everton beat Sunderland 2-0, with this being announced over the tannoy at Highfield Road, where it was 2-2 at the time.

Both sides then played out the last 10 minutes without attempting to score.

I'm fairly certain that live scores of other games aren't allowed to be on show during games at grounds.

i remember a few years back when Man Utd needed just a point at Blackburn and with 10 mins to go at 1-1 they just passed the ball around the back four (I think a point meant Rovers stayed up as well).. was terrible to watch.

For anyone interested, from 12 o' clock, there is LIVE commentary of the Bristol Rovers v. Millwall match on DAB Radio London. This can also be found on Sky 0152; Virgin 937; Freesat 718 and Freeview 721.

Crikey. I'll have to listen to Radio London with my left ear and BluesPlayer with my right ear........

Let's hope that Millwall take their most dangerous striker off after half an hour at Bristol. Like we did.

Going back about 20 years I remember there being one season in particular when for some rediculous reason the PA announcer at Roots Hall kept giving score updates from the Premier League games during our matches! I'm not sure how many games this went on for but every time it happened everyone in the West Stand got royally p***** off and shouted out abuse to the PA chap! It's quite funny looking back now....but at the time the time it was bloody annoying!

Mickey G announced the equalizer at Bristol Rovers over the tannoy, today.

That said, I think the players had sussed it, anyway!

Back