• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good point. However she was talking about Israel. It is also worth pointing out that you have fallen ito the same trap. There are no occupied territories. Israel has moved out of Gaza and the West Bank, although there are some right wing nutters who still insist on living there.

The interesting thing is that the school in question is a private school. This isn't some lefty teacher taking a moral standpoint, this was about money, with the parents making an implied threat to remove the child and her siblings. The school decided it couldn't afford to lose them, and ****ing off a teacher was seen as pragmatic.

Now that is also a very good point. This child is not the only one in the class, and now the rest of the class are getting a very skewed view of that part of the world.

If I was in the position of the teacher I would have taken legal advice as you suggest.

It also raises some interesting questions. For example, if this was a state school would the teacher's union have backed her or the pupil? The other one is what would the Daily Mail make of this since this was a private school? Would they still maintain their anti-muslim scare mongering, or would they agree that a private school has done the right thing.

I guess a lesson for me is that not everything is done for PC reasons, even if on the face of it, it seems that way.

A very valid point, but what would be the reaction of the other parents? If I had kids there, I'd seriously consider relocating them to a more sensible school that put education before profit. If enough others were of this view, then the financial argument would be pretty much dead in the water

A very valid point, but what would be the reaction of the other parents? If I had kids there, I'd seriously consider relocating them to a more sensible school that put education before profit. If enough others were of this view, then the financial argument would be pretty much dead in the water

Even state schools put money before education. My wife's school almost closed down last year and it has 1500 students, due to debt. Now they're going through some pretty stringent cuts and redundancies.

Even state schools put money before education. My wife's school almost closed down last year and it has 1500 students, due to debt. Now they're going through some pretty stringent cuts and redundancies.

That'll be because teachers are lefties, and therefore don't understand things such as money :raspberry::smile:

Again, something I questioned. However, I don't know the make up of the school population: for example, it may be that that the school is predominately muslim. Also, this was a private meeting, so the rest of the school don't know about it.

If it were me I would think very seriously about going public with this, but this friend of mine isn't that kind of person. I guess she's being pragmatic aswell...

Personally i think the teacher should refer to it as ''that ****ing ******** where no ****ers gets on and causes the rest of the world grief''

Look at the advantages being 'disputed territory' or something similar has to offer. The next time bombs fall on Gaza, the people responsible for it can say "Well, we're Israeli, but if Israel doesn't exist, then we couldn't have done it."

Yes, but Israel isn't a real country. Its a made up country to make western democracies not feel so bad about the holocaust and the fact they did sod all to stop it happening when they could.

The whole thing sounds a bit stupid if you ask me, and the sort of things the Daily Mail jump upon with gusto with the headline "TEACHERS MUST TEACH ISRAEL ISNT A COUNTRY".

Personally, if I was the Head, I'd have just explained that in this country we recognise Israel as a sovereign state.

There is no such nation as Palestine and there never was.

From a moral point of view, I believe that siding with the brutal theocracies of Iran And Saudi Arabia as well as the fledgling dictatorship of Morsi's Egypt over the democratic state of Israel is reprehensible. From a position of pure self-interest, it's madness.

And Hello Mum.

You're forgetting(or ignoring)the fact that Israel took out a Hamas leader before that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2001/nov/24/israel1?INTCMP=SRCH

Since Israel cleared out of Gaza on the promise of cessation of rocket attacks, hundreds of increasingly sophisticated rockets have been fired across the border. Taking out the Hamas leader was a reaction to the rockets, not the cause of them. Until the Palestinians learn to love their children more than they hate the Jews there will be no peace.

Since Israel cleared out of Gaza on the promise of cessation of rocket attacks, hundreds of increasingly sophisticated rockets have been fired across the border. Taking out the Hamas leader was a reaction to the rockets, not the cause of them. Until the Palestinians learn to love their children more than they hate the Jews there will be no peace.[/QUOTE]
do you not think the same applies to the Israelis?

No. The Israelis would love nothing more than to be left in peace. This kind of moral equivalence is lazy at best.

I was just asking Mr Century a question to see if he saw the fault as being in one camp only. Not looking to move this on right now as I need my beauty sleep but it surprises me when people from UK pick one as being the aggressor with this unless they have a strong connection either way. History would indicate that neither side is blameless.

Back