• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is this the worst squad and time in our history?

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
After watching that pitiful performance on Saturday to stay at the foot of the basement division, I asked myself if this is the worst team we have had?

Im pretty sure the football is as bad as I've seen but the effort levels seem to be there even if the quality certainly isn't.

This team is probably on par with those woeful Alvin Martin sides of the 90s.

I Only started going in 93 so I can't compare the dark days of the 80s. I just can't see this current side doing much other than hovering above the drop at best.

Just a few seasons ago we were all hoping for the championship via the play offs and were pipped by Millwall in the last few knockings of the season.

Since then the club has literally imploded on and off the field. Record defeats in number and frequency. So many games without a win.

An embargo that seems to have gone on forever. Everything but the kitchen sink sold and a managerial merry go round.

I Know we are Sufc but even by our own crazy standards the last few years and current situation will take some beating.

Been going since 1985. I would say that the current squad are the "worst" in terms of ability to compete on a level playing field. But, as is well documented add nauseum by now, this isn't really their fault.

Whelan's second season squad were lazy and unfit. One away win at Stoke City's old Victoria Ground..that team made me angry and led directly into the woeful Alvin Martin days.

I hate putting these poor lads in the same conversation as squads in the past as it's not a fair comparison in my eyes. That said, yes this is the weakest Shrimpers side in my lifetime, as they are too young, too underdeveloped, hideously inexperienced and behind the rest of the division for fitness.

Who here remembers a "striker" (and I use that word in the loosest possible terms) called Trevor Fitzpatrick? Likeable young chap. For me it feels like we have 11 Trevor Fitzpatrick's on the field right now.

I believe MM will turn this around but I fear it will be much further down the pyramid than even the tier currently below us.

Been going since 1985. I would say that the current squad are the "worst" in terms of ability to compete on a level playing field. But, as is well documented add nauseum by now, this isn't really their fault.

Whelan's second season squad were lazy and unfit. One away win at Stoke City's old Victoria Ground..that team made me angry and led directly into the woeful Alvin Martin days.

I hate putting these poor lads in the same conversation as squads in the past as it's not a fair comparison in my eyes. That said, yes this is the weakest Shrimpers side in my lifetime, as they are too young, too underdeveloped, hideously inexperienced and behind the rest of the division for fitness.

Who here remembers a "striker" (and I use that word in the loosest possible terms) called Trevor Fitzpatrick? Likeable young chap. For me it feels like we have 11 Trevor Fitzpatrick's on the field right now.

I believe MM will turn this around but I fear it will be much further down the pyramid than even the tier currently below us.

You make some good points. We have had some terrible teams, particularly in the mid to late 90s. The difference being that there were quite a few very lazy and unfit players who used to get a wage for being a poor pro.

This team feels like a cobbled together bunch of kids and crocks who are being asked way too much of.

There isn't a lack of endeavour just a lack of experience, fitness and ability.

Good ship and Acquah. Both trying but nowhere near league footballers IMHO.

Not their fault they are asked to perform way above their respective levels.

I doubt this squad would even trouble the top 6 in the conference south.

With this squad I think the best we can hope for is that we bottom out in the conference then come back up (quickly) with momentum behind us as per the likes of Luton, Lincoln etc in recent years and get the good times back. Im never saying relegation is the best for the club, ever, its just what looks the most realistic outcome as things stand.

This season is going to be the most painful in my lifetime i think, we've just got to somehow get through it.

Fitzpatrick scored 8 goals in 17 starts and 35 sub appearances.

Goodship has scored 4 goals in 20 starts and 9 sub appearances.

Is this the worst squad in our history? No, I don't think so. I've been a fan since 1961 and I reckon there were slightly worse squads in the 1980s, but only because we have a lot of promising youngsters and some currently injured experienced players. The problem is lack of confidence. I think the club is in the worst position I've known it but the squad is not quite the worst. I believe that if we get our injured pros back and secure a win that we can go on to survive but it will be nailbiting I'm sure.

After watching that pitiful performance on Saturday to stay at the foot of the basement division, I asked myself if this is the worst team we have had?

Im pretty sure the football is as bad as I've seen but the effort levels seem to be there even if the quality certainly isn't.

This team is probably on par with those woeful Alvin Martin sides of the 90s.

I Only started going in 93 so I can't compare the dark days of the 80s. I just can't see this current side doing much other than hovering above the drop at best.

Just a few seasons ago we were all hoping for the championship via the play offs and were pipped by Millwall in the last few knockings of the season.

Since then the club has literally imploded on and off the field. Record defeats in number and frequency. So many games without a win.

An embargo that seems to have gone on forever. Everything but the kitchen sink sold and a managerial merry go round.

I Know we are Sufc but even by our own crazy standards the last few years and current situation will take some beating.
Having been supporting SUFC since the early 70s I can say it’s definitely the worst & weakest squad but it’s not their fault. Our appalling financial situation means that they’re all we can afford. A clapped out Allegro is not designed to race but if you are in the race & you can only afford that car what can you do?

It all started with sacking Brown for me, other than 2 seasons ago staying up, there really hasn't been much to shout about

I agree, it’s gone badly wrong since.
The football under Brown during his last months wasn’t pretty but I’d take that over now, at the risk of sounding like Captain Hindsight.

However the businessman at the helm now is the same one as back then so you tell me how it’s gone this bad...

I dont think you can compare because I really cant class us as a squad. Yes theyre called professional players, but to be fair its just 4 or 5 pro's that would normally be part of a squad with the addition of some scholars/borrowed youngsters to make up the numbers.
I'd call the team we played saturday an example of a pro football club squad. Ours is a makeshift 23.

If we had a fully fit squad i'd say not. Macca in midfield, white at the back and Akinola up front should produce a bit of a better spine. The confidence of having white back there with the young lads next to him would help their development as well. Almost got the makings of an ok spine.

Add in some ribs in the form of Dieng, Demetriou, Elvis and Ralph and we really should be competing at this level.

Definitely the weakest squad since I started in the mid 60s.
Only one man responsible for this mess and it's the second time he done it to us.
At least Sturrock brought in seasoned pros at this poor level who just needed time to bed in.Poor MM really has been given the most cr*p unbalanced collection to start with.Finances dictate we sell our best youth players and additions tend to be people with hardly any league experience instead of the experience needed to steady the sinking ship.
MM can work 24 hours a day but without giving him the right tools he is and will struggle to save the club from league extinction .
With what happened last season when we become the laughing stock of the league and now what is looking like a repeat you have to ask just how much damage has been done to the clubs support now and in the future

I guess we only have to look at the likes of Chesterfield and Stockport to see where this could be heading (I still stand by my earlier comment that I think MM will keep us up, but of course I'm nervous..). Both clubs of a similar size / fan-base to us, both were happily mid-table L1 before suddenly dropping like a stone. Stockport finally showing signs of bouncing back but after how many years? Including a stint in the NL North. Chesterfield still flirting with relegation to that level. Its a scary thought..

This IS the worst IMO..Even in 1980s under Booby Moore etc we did at least win SOME games.

The thing that worries me is that in the past we have had poor squads, poor managers but a change of manager and some new players has quite quickly improved things - this hasn't happened for what is now our third season in this mess.

Back