• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is this the worst squad and time in our history?

This by far the worst squad.

In the bad years in the 80s there were still some good players who pulled us through Paul Clark, Glenn Pennyfather, Steve Phillips, Mickey Stead and the squad was improved as the season went on in 84/85 - no transfer windows those days.

2002/3 and 2003/4 weren’t great. Tilly signed some decent players after he took over to dig us out of the trouble Steve Wignall got us into. Finished 17th both seasons.

Squad no, ideally we need another striker but I think the biggest problem is the last few managers have tried to get the players to do things they can't do.

This year should have been get a couple of experienced league two players down the spine of the team get some points on the board and then try to improve the football.

The thing that worries me is that in the past we have had poor squads, poor managers but a change of manager and some new players has quite quickly improved things - this hasn't happened for what is now our third season in this mess.
Yes, no manager bounce and more crocks, or kids, or players that arent good enough. Sturrock didnt fanny about with under 23s, he used his experience to assemble a dirty dozen and kept us up.

Its a different kind of worst squad then the 90s, they were generally northern journeyman who played crap football and didnt care. This lot are just way out of there depth in L2 a lot of them just shouldnt be playing first team football yet.

I know mm only knows the non league and U23 scene, but havent we got a scout at the club? Get a couple of non contracted l2 cloggers in, give them a one year contract with a win bonus.

Yes, no manager bounce and more crocks, or kids, or players that arent good enough. Sturrock didnt fanny about with under 23s, he used his experience to assemble a dirty dozen and kept us up.

Er, yes he did.

Youngsters signed on loan that first season included Antonio German, Nathaniel Jarvis, Waide Fairhurst. Not memorable as they were all out of their depth in L2 at that age.

Harry Crawford appeared in half of our league games that season, mainly as sub, despite being ****ing awful.

18 year old Kane Ferdinand came into the side new year's day and was more or less an ever present for the rest of the season.

The other youngsters blooded from the youth set up that season included Kyle Asante, Teddy Nesbitt, James Stevens and Alex Woodyard whilst Johnny Herd and Matt Paterson (not from our academy, but the most academy player ever) who Tilly had given debuts to the previous season also appeared more than was ideal.

Sturrock also signed 22 year old Ryan Hall and 23 year old Sean Clohessy from non-league, 22 year old Luke Prosser who'd been out on loan in non-league - who basically had the same experience as Shaun Hobson has. Oh and 23 year old Bilel Mohsni from French park football who makes all of our kids look experienced.

When available we match the experience in that side - we have our poor man's Chris Barker in John White; we have Jason Demetriou in the Craig Easton central midfielder and captain role, Mark Oxley has the experience of Morris and Evans combined. Dieng has more experience than Grant had; McCormack has even more experience than Coughlan had. Our main forward had 13 senior goals to his name coming into that year (Akinola scored more than that in the Conference last year) and Tangled up in Blue famously claimed he was one of the worst footballers he'd ever seen.

So what players does that leave who started more games than Kane Ferdinand? The much maligned Gilbert and Blair Sturrock!

Scott Spencer, a remnant of the Tilly era, also had a handful of appearances. So that's at least 7 forwards (Crawford, German, Jarvis, Fairhurst, Asante, Paterson and Spencer) who appeared that season who were far worse than Emile Acquah. Between them they combined for 61 appearances and 3 goals that year!

That side finished 13th that year.

The last time I saw a team as bad as this was when we had to put Keith Dublin up front. He was bad enough at the back let alone a target man but that was two league above where we are now.

confidende at the moment is definitely the worst it’s ever been in my time as well as the fact we can’t sign anyone because we’re being managed by a crook.

Once we get a win or two Under our belts then I’m sure we have enough about us to get out of it, the biggest worry is where that win is coming from?.

This is the worst squad I have seen in my 40 plus years of supporting Southend. Thr only one that came close was around 2002-03 when I think Rob Newman was Manager.

This is the worst squad I have seen in my 40 plus years of supporting Southend. Thr only one that came close was around 2002-03 when I think Rob Newman was Manager.

Oh yes, I remembered the terrible 1980s squad but I'd forgotten the 2002/03 squad, that was very poor indeed and showed little commitment to the cause. One thing you can say about our current squad is that, by and large, they try their best.

Oh yes, I remembered the terrible 1980s squad but I'd forgotten the 2002/03 squad, that was very poor indeed and showed little commitment to the cause. One thing you can say about our current squad is that, by and large, they try their best.

This is key for me.

We have had better squads on paper but with poor coaches and poor application. The results we have had have been the worst in our history and probably not far off the worst for any professional team in the entire history of football.

But people who know far more about the game than any of us do and who have seen our manager and his team are so positive about him. He will be awesome at this level and probably higher levels. Our squad may not be as talented but the coaching is on a much higher level than those sides back in the old days.

With this squad I have seen enough to firmly believe we will not only get out of trouble but will comfortably stay out of trouble. It's very easy to be negative when we play badly but not even good teams at this level play well all the time.

I’ve been supporting Southend United since my Dad took me to my first game in October 1996. 1-1 vs Wolves, goals that day from Mike Marsh and Steve Bull. I can’t speak for before that time but I can say plenty of poor sides have come and gone since then but this as a professional squad is the worst. I fear the worst and as other say I look at clubs I’d consider there or there abouts equivalent in size and history and if we go down yes we’d be a very big club for conference level but nobody owes you anything, we’d struggle to get out that league quickly. Yes Bristol Rovers regrouped and got back up first time but I look at Luton, Lincoln, Tranmere, Torquay, Yeovil and plenty others who it took many many seasons to return and some still have not. That is the worry..

Er, yes he did.

Youngsters signed on loan that first season included Antonio German, Nathaniel Jarvis, Waide Fairhurst. Not memorable as they were all out of their depth in L2 at that age.

Harry Crawford appeared in half of our league games that season, mainly as sub, despite being ****ing awful.

18 year old Kane Ferdinand came into the side new year's day and was more or less an ever present for the rest of the season.

The other youngsters blooded from the youth set up that season included Kyle Asante, Teddy Nesbitt, James Stevens and Alex Woodyard whilst Johnny Herd and Matt Paterson (not from our academy, but the most academy player ever) who Tilly had given debuts to the previous season also appeared more than was ideal.

Sturrock also signed 22 year old Ryan Hall and 23 year old Sean Clohessy from non-league, 22 year old Luke Prosser who'd been out on loan in non-league - who basically had the same experience as Shaun Hobson has. Oh and 23 year old Bilel Mohsni from French park football who makes all of our kids look experienced.

When available we match the experience in that side - we have our poor man's Chris Barker in John White; we have Jason Demetriou in the Craig Easton central midfielder and captain role, Mark Oxley has the experience of Morris and Evans combined. Dieng has more experience than Grant had; McCormack has even more experience than Coughlan had. Our main forward had 13 senior goals to his name coming into that year (Akinola scored more than that in the Conference last year) and Tangled up in Blue famously claimed he was one of the worst footballers he'd ever seen.

So what players does that leave who started more games than Kane Ferdinand? The much maligned Gilbert and Blair Sturrock!

Scott Spencer, a remnant of the Tilly era, also had a handful of appearances. So that's at least 7 forwards (Crawford, German, Jarvis, Fairhurst, Asante, Paterson and Spencer) who appeared that season who were far worse than Emile Acquah. Between them they combined for 61 appearances and 3 goals that year!

Well i cant argue with that YB, but i must say at no time did i feel like it was a squad of kids like it is now.

When you see it as youve pointed out he assembled a core of experienced players with youngsters in the wings, precisely what we need now. I would also say that despite some of our current players having equal or more experience then sturrocks squad, they arent as good.

I think we might stay up by the skin of our teeth, but for me MM needs to stop messing with silly formation changes. I disagree with some posters that we can go down to non league and rebuild. I think if we go down its the end.

Last edited:
Been going since 1985. I would say that the current squad are the "worst" in terms of ability to compete on a level playing field. But, as is well documented add nauseum by now, this isn't really their fault.

Whelan's second season squad were lazy and unfit. One away win at Stoke City's old Victoria Ground..that team made me angry and led directly into the woeful Alvin Martin days.

I hate putting these poor lads in the same conversation as squads in the past as it's not a fair comparison in my eyes. That said, yes this is the weakest Shrimpers side in my lifetime, as they are too young, too underdeveloped, hideously inexperienced and behind the rest of the division for fitness.

Who here remembers a "striker" (and I use that word in the loosest possible terms) called Trevor Fitzpatrick? Likeable young chap. For me it feels like we have 11 Trevor Fitzpatrick's on the field right now.

I believe MM will turn this around but I fear it will be much further down the pyramid than even the tier currently below us.

Spot on. Not these lads fault that they are being pushed way beyond their ability/experience. They have been trying to tell us that they are not good enough for two seasons and we’re just not listening.

I feel this side would also get relegated from the National League - there are some excellent, well organized teams in that division and we are neither of those things right now. Bleak times but you have to hope it inspires serious, meaningful change...

No. This squad lacks experience but not endeavour or potential. A few faces coming back and the occasional rub of the green and we will turn the corner. Every game that passes is a new lesson learned. The beauty of youth is that they are not old dogs being taught new tricks. The gaffer will mould them and things will not seem so glum anymore. UTB

What worries me is that most zoners know what is needed in league 2,

Big ******* up front big ******* at the back, and the management team/chairman sign
premier league kids, who will not get you out of this mess.

I would rather have Theo (and don't tell me he was one of the bad apples) up front than either Goodship or Aquah ( and that's no disrespect to either)

You only have to look at his goal scoring record in this league, and we let him go

What worries me is that most zoners know what is needed in league 2,

Big ******* up front big ******* at the back, and the management team/chairman sign
premier league kids, who will not get you out of this mess.

I would rather have Theo (and don't tell me he was one of the bad apples) up front than either Goodship or Aquah ( and that's no disrespect to either)

You only have to look at his goal scoring record in this league, and we let him go

True but Theo was a high earner.

His wages will be vastly higher than what we can afford.

Well i cant argue with that YB, but i must say at no time did i feel like it was a squad of kids like it is now.

When you see it as youve pointed out he assembled a core of experienced players with youngsters in the wings, precisely what we need now. I would also say that despite some of our current players having equal or more experience then sturrocks squad, they arent as good.

I think we might stay up by the skin of our teeth, but for me MM needs to stop messing with silly formation changes. I disagree with some posters that we can go down to non league and rebuild. I think if we go down its the end.

It's not a squad of kids. Our youngest player in the starting line-up Saturday was 20.

Morris/Evans v Oxley
Clohessy v Bwomono
Gilbert v Ralph
Herd v Clifford
Barker v White
Mohsni v Hobson
Coughlan v Dieng
Prosser v Lennon
Easton v Demetriou
Grant v McCormack
K Ferdinand v K Taylor
Woodyard v Gard
Hall v Nathaniel-George
Simpson v Green/Sterling
Soares v Egbri
Corr v Akinola
Sturrock v Goodship
Crawford v Acquah

There's really not that much difference between 2010 squad and 2020 squad, the biggest differences being Barker v White, Grant v McCormack and Corr v Akinola - but we've seen the 2020 version for 1 league game between them anyway - and then the inexperienced duo of Mohsni and Hall who took several weeks to work their way into the line-up anyway. It's not impossible Nathaniel-George will develop into Ryan Hall. He seems to have the natural ability.

It's easy to forget that Sturrock's opening game was against Stockport who went out of the league that year. We needed a last gasp equaliser from sub Blair Sturrock to get a point from that game. We then followed it up in the league with defeats to Aldershot and then Port Vale at home when Prosser had a 'mare that some have never gotten over. After that game people were saying much the same thing as everyone is saying now.

We lost at home to Morecambe about a month into that season as well. People were not happy after that one. We also lost at home to Cheltenham later on in the season after we went 2 down in 5 minutes. People weren't happy after that one either.

This isn't going to be a classic season but there's a decent chance it isn't going to be as bad as a lot are catastrophising.

Keep the faith.

Er, yes he did.

To be fair to Blair he might not have been great at finding the net but he did know how to hold the ball up and bring others into play, something we are severely lacking at the moment.

Back