• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is this Tilson's most important Transfer Window

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
I have been thinking, and although play-offs is unrealistic this season, most of us fans would be expecting an improvement in the 2nd half of the season with maybe a top 10 finish.

However, I think that one eye should be on building a squad to seriously challenge next season, and I am talking Automatic, not play-offs, (as in theory the stadium should be on the distant horizon in a years time).

We really need to be challenging at the top of League one or scrapping at the bottom of the championship when the stadium kicks in as the gap between that level and League one is growing all the time.

If we peter out this season and are in a similar position this time next year, then all the work over the past 5 years would surely begin to unwind, as crowds are already down, and would be down even further in a years time, maybe even to about 5500-6000.

This would make it more difficult to attract players, and we would in effect have to start from scratch, making the new stadium effect almost worthless, and would just get us back to where we are now.

Also if Tilly doesn't pull something out of the bag in the next 4 weeks, then I am sure that the Tilly out brigade would gradually begin to grow in numbers and volume.

I hope that Ron Martin realises this too, and releases the wage purse strings a little, as we really need to sign:

Harding, Robson Kanu, Sawyer, Christophe, and a central defender.

This would then take our squad to a normal size for this division.

Think this has already been mentioned in several of the threads, I certainly think so, Ron needs success on the field to some extent at least to help with Fossetts, so as long as Dean Austin handed over his research notes before he left, Tilly should be able to get in some quality this window. We certainly need to do better than we did in the summer, and that's not casting aspertions on any of our players, it's just that Dougie apart, the actual signings didn't exactly cover themselves in glory initially.

got to agree. we need some decent players to come in, but we also need consistency in the team so the boys can gel nicely. i don't think this league is that hard. it is one of those leagues where anyone can beat anyone on their day (we would have beaten a lot of teams this year if only we would take our chances) as for the crowds, well, it was always on the cards. and think bout this 5k-6k in a 22k stadium. Thats the problem with gloryhunting fans. the same ones who want tilly out! the ones who have never heard of steve wignall

I agree with you there. This season should be about everyone trying to prove themselves worthy of a first team place.

Harding could be signing in the January transfer window and I think he is interested in signing for us aswell.

Robson Kanu is a good left midfielder and he has skill and potential, but he believes he can cut it at Reading and that could stop him signing for us on a permenant.

Sawyer was great for us and I would love to see him sign this January and he hinted in a interview that he would want to stay here on a permenant deal.

Christophe was another great loanee and it looks like he will be joining soon.

A central defender will be good as we do not have cover for Barrett or Clarke unless we play Francis there and Sankofa at right back, but i would like to see a youngish central defender sign for us for back-up as Clarke looks like he could be going.

Maybe a striker who has can score regularly and is not injury prone. Our top goalscorer is someone who has missed over 10 games, which shows how our strikers can not score regularly.

Back