• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Tilly blameless???

Farmer Fossett

Youth Team⭐
Everyone knows that Tilson's job is extreamly difficult at present with no investment in players, poor morale etc. But is he realy blameless for the poor run of results. For example Portsmouth are in probably a worse situation than us and even Avram is getting results.

I would suggest that if any other Manager had been in the same situation the fans would by now be asking questions of the Managers ability. OK Tilly has been great for us in the past however the evidence suggests over the past few seasons that he has become stale at the club.

Whilst Uncle Ron is the main culprit I think that serious questions should be asked of Tilly. We have been in freefall over the past few seasons I believe that the financial mess has put a convenient mask over Tilly's ability!

I am not saying that we should sack Tilson as I know that we probably could not afford to do so but we should as fans be directing a certain amount of blame for what happens on the pitch at the Manager rather than putting the full amount of blame on to Uncle Ron!

i don't think he's blameless at all. we havnt been great all season way before all the trouble began.

i find it hard to understand and every dud player who looks clueless for us seems to go on and do amazing everywhere else. it really can't be a coincidence can it?

i don't think he's blameless at all. we havnt been great all season way before all the trouble began.

i find it hard to understand and every dud player who looks clueless for us seems to go on and do amazing everywhere else. it really can't be a coincidence can it?

and you think Southend are the only club where this happens?

Some players fit in/get off to a good start/get on with the manager... others don't. Southend/Tilly aren't unique in that respect.

Tilly makes mistakes, but he learns from them. I'd rather have a young, very talented, local legend like Tilly, instead of another Martin, Wignal, Whelan etc etc...

and you think Southend are the only club where this happens?

Some players fit in/get off to a good start/get on with the manager... others don't. Southend/Tilly aren't unique in that respect.

Tilly makes mistakes, but he learns from them. I'd rather have a young, very talented, local legend like Tilly, instead of another Martin, Wignal, Whelan etc etc...

so would i i would hate to be a qpr. i love the fact we have a long standing manager. but tactics this season have been shocking. tillys playing away and at home against the better teams as if we are brazil. i think it takes a team to find it strengths aka stoke and use them rather than try and play football the 'right way' like west brom. thats why they got relegated from the prem. we have no imagination whats so ever and tillys stessful comments go on and on. if i didnt no him better i would have some of the comments he's made are taking the ****.

the fact that people are only just realising we're actually in a relegation fight is the reason why we are where we are. everyone including players etc have thought yeah we'll be ok. not that easy.

so would i i would hate to be a qpr. i love the fact we have a long standing manager. but tactics this season have been shocking. tillys playing away and at home against the better teams as if we are brazil. i think it takes a team to find it strengths aka stoke and use them rather than try and play football the 'right way' like west brom. thats why they got relegated from the prem. we have no imagination whats so ever and tillys stessful comments go on and on. if i didnt no him better i would have some of the comments he's made are taking the ****.

the fact that people are only just realising we're actually in a relegation fight is the reason why we are where we are. everyone including players etc have thought yeah we'll be ok. not that easy.

But you can blame the good folk of SZ in part. Many "experts" on here have advocated various formations, 4-3-3, 5-3-2, 1-0-9 whatever, sadly their knowledge probably is gained from the latest computer management game.

Of course he's not blameless. He has chosen to pick M'voto in the last few games when there's been no need too.

With respect, the cracks have been there since pre-season. I actually think Tilson and the squad did well to gain the amount of points we banked in the first third of the season given the comparatively limited resources available to the manager. I actually think Tilson is a victim of his earlier successes in that the expectations are (unrealistically in my opinion) higher now.

The reality is that the chairman has to take a majority of the flak but we are in a perilous position where there are no viable current alternatives. Who would want to take the club over and bankroll it? Who (of any significant calibre) would want to take a manager's job on at Southend with no budget, a paperthin squad etc, etc?

Interesting that one of the points raised in the original post is that if it had been anyone else in charge, the fans would be chanting for his name now.... Well Amen to that then, as rightly or qrongly, we can do without the fans turning on the manager on top of everything else that is going on!!

for me it is this season yes, But we have have extremely poor defensively for 3 or 4 years now and this does not seem to have been addressed. While in those years we have spent a fair bit on strikers, the majority of which have now been moved on, at no point in truth have the problems at the back been resolved.

Find me another manager who has gained promotion twice in 6 years who will join us.

In the cold light of morning, Tilson gets it right sometimes,and gets it wrong others, i dont see we would be any better off with someone else. If we do go down though, i would then expect some changes,even though the biggest culprit in all this is Ron Martin himself.

I've said this before, but Tilly and Brush are human. They make mistakes. This isn't some simple science where there is only ever one right answer. But I trust them more than many of the people on here who think being a manager is simple and if T&B don't play the exact same team and formation and make the right subs at the right times as they would, then T&B are clearly wrong. Who's to say you'd get it right then or indeed every time?

There are other managerial teams who might do things differently. They might get it right sometimes and wrong at others.

But you can't argue with T&B's record. What was even more amazing was how they turned around a club in a really bad state on the field, and so quickly. It's easy to forget now to put their incredible achievements into the context in which they were achieved.

Every season until and including last season (even with all the carousel of loan players last season) had various achievements in them.

This year has been the only season so far when there has been nothing to shout about. But let's face it. As TF said earlier, they had in fact done an amazing job to get so many points on the board in the first third of the season with everything going on and the "squad" situation. Even that effort doesn't seem to have been enough. "Squad" doesn't even describe what they've had to work with this season, although according to one of the blogs, we always had enough good players because T&B wouldn't have changed the first 11 in any game! Even aside from the pitiful squad numbers and constant rotation, what about everything going on behind the scenes? Wasn't it incredible the way T&B have managed to motivate the players at times this season? Would any of you put quite so much effort in for an employer that had treated you so badly as our players have done at times?

There might be better managers out there. But better for OUR team? Any new manager is a gamble. And if they're good, who else would stay loyal rather than jump at the first sign of overtures from a bigger club? Who would impress better in interviews and make themselves look more attractive or would seem more "passionate" on the touchline, whereas T&B are overlooked sometimes because of their media performances - their real skills are on the training ground and dressing room.

They're not blameless this season, but they also got things wrong when we went up twice.

But do they deserve us to stick by them? Absolutely. They've more than earned that. And they continue to put the club before themselves.

The real question is how much longer - with all their loyalty that would have seen many other managerial teams walk away before too big a dent was put on their CV - will THEY stay around with US? If they find it hard to get another job in the future that they surely deserve (if things don't work out at SUFC), at a club that treats its squad better than ours, it will surely because they have stayed loyal and have resisted jumping from a sinking ship for so long. We should be grateful for them and not turn on them.

The one bright thing left at our club at the moment is T&B. For anyone who wants them to go - maybe you'll only realise how good we had it once they're gone.

Last edited:
Great post there Elstree Blue, and I do absolutely agree BUT there are times when I do think they are a little staid and could and should change things a little quicker. That's just my observation though.

Sort it out ffs.

Tilly has **** to work with. You're seriously deluded if you think half of this team are L1 standard. We're a mediocre L2 team at best atm. We're lucky Tilly hasn't jacked it in by now tbh.

Tilly can only work with what he's got, and at the moment, thats not a lot

Sort it out ffs.

Tilly has **** to work with. You're seriously deluded if you think half of this team are L1 standard. We're a mediocre L2 team at best atm. We're lucky Tilly hasn't jacked it in by now tbh.

Tilly can only work with what he's got, and at the moment, thats not a lot

Yes but he should be using what he has got to good effect.

Mvoto in the team and Barrett at left back whilst having two left backs available to me is ridiculous.

Back