• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Tilly engineering his own dismissal?

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Over the last few months thoeries about Tilly leaving have been bandied about, but the one i'm actually believeing more and more, and have heard a few times now is this;

Tilly won't walk, due to his love of the Club. However if he were sacked then he looks like the victim instead of the bad guy, who's simply abandoned us. Could he be trying to engineer his dismissal? Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Tilly WANTS to lose matches, but it's pretty obvious his body language and his attitude has wained and that in itself tells it's own story.

Put yourself in his shoes. You're the manager of the team you love. However you're getting poo'ed on season after season by the hierarchy. Games aswell as off-field incidents are seriously going against you, and are leaving a nasty patch on your (up 'till now impressive) CV. Has he lost the passion for the Blues? Would you have lost faith by now? Being told you have to perform miracles on a shoestring budget, with players who are not good enough for this level? But what would you do? You wouldn't WANT to walk out and risk looking like the bad guy, whereas if you were pushed, then you save face, plus get paid off. As i've said it's only rumours and theories, so don't take it for gospel.

So what are your thoughts on this matter?..... could/would Tilly engineer his own dismissal?

But do you think he would?

I think the last thing Id do if I wanted a new job is to publicly show I was crap at my current one....

If Tilson wanted to leave he could easily just walk out, how would getting relegated and sacked be a good move.

Oh and whilst I dont blame him for us being in the relegation zone as he has been hamstrung by the embargo I do think he has enough players to do ok now.

THe next 3 games I expect very little but in March we have 3 home games in a row and at that point Tilson will have had these players a month and should be able to get results.

Walking out would look nowhere near as bad on his CV as getting sacked would.

I don't think his body language during matches has changed at all over the years, he has always leaned against the dug-out at Roots Hall with arms folded --- he hardly moves or gets excited. I think his radio chats have started to show his frustrations, he has never been comfortable with a mic shoved in front of him but his tone has got more annoyed lately.

Would he engineer his own dismissal ? I don't think he would if it meant his beloved Southend free-falling down the leagues --- he loves the club , I am not sure if he loves the chairman who couldn't afford to pay his contract up --- I'm not sure if he gets the same alleged treatment regarding his non-payment of wages as the players, but if you can't get regular money what chance would you have of being paid off with a large lump of cash ?

If Tilson wanted to leave he could easily just walk out, how would getting relegated and sacked be a good move.

But if you were so ****ed off with it all, and just didn't have the enthusiasm or patience for it anymore, yet felt you couldn't walk away, what would you do? Suffer it?

It comes down to that all important "has he still got the fire in his belly" factor. His radio interviews have portrayed a very ****ed off man, who is at the end of his tether. Hence why, getting sacked obviously wouldn't be great for him, but it'd make him look better to the fans (i.e. the victim not the bad guy) if he were sacked, plus he gets a nice pay-off

Ridiculous idea, I read the title and really didn't need to read any further.

If Tilly want's out he'll walk, he wont try and tarnish his reputation and drag the club down with him aswell.

Walking out would look nowhere near as bad on his CV as getting sacked would.

2 relegations would though. In fact, add on the fact that half of this squad wouldn't be here following relegation, so L2 survival shouldn't be taken for granted either. So 3 relegations would look a lot worse than being sacked (IMO of course)

Would he engineer his own dismissal ? I don't think he would if it meant his beloved Southend free-falling down the leagues --- he loves the club , I am not sure if he loves the chairman who couldn't afford to pay his contract up --- I'm not sure if he gets the same alleged treatment regarding his non-payment of wages as the players, but if you can't get regular money what chance would you have of being paid off with a large lump of cash ?

I suspect that's the only reason he is still here. However, if he felt the club's hierarchy was taking the **** (i'm not saying he does feel that way, but who knows) then it is fair to say his love for the same club may start waining.

Ridiculous idea, I read the title and really didn't need to read any further.

If Tilly want's out he'll walk, he wont try and tarnish his reputation and drag the club down with him aswell.

The board are currently in the process of tarnishing his reputation

You may be correct, but how is that relevant?

Well quite relevent i'd have thought. You said:

Hence my response, the club are already doing that. Therefore both relevent to your post and to my origional point. The Board are tarnishing his rep, so what dos Tilly do? Sit back and accept it? Or get himself the sack and start again elsewhere.

I'm not saying it's DEFINITE, so yes it could be rubbish and this whole thread could be pointless. I'm saying i've now heard from a few people who believe this theory has legs. The point was to discuss it and see what people thought

Well, what I mean is, he wont sit back, stay put, tarnish his reputation just so he can say he didn't walk away. If he wants out, he'll walk away now with reputation still in check.

Perhaps I'm not a tired old cynic, or my eyes are blinded by youthful ignorance, but all I see is Tilson doing his best with meagre resources. As others have said, I don't believe for a minute he'd willfully bring about his own dismissal. If and when the final straw breaks, I reckon Tilson will have the strength of character to walk out.

It's ridiculous to suggest Tilson would purposely let things slide as a way out. He'll strive to keep us up.

Do you think Martin would sack Tilson even if we did go down? Who'd he replace him with? Are there any other better managers out there who'd be prepared to come and do a job for us with absolutely no financial backing?

However you're getting poo'ed on season after season by the hierarchy.

So what are your thoughts on this matter?..... could/would Tilly engineer his own dismissal?

No he's not clever enough.

Sorry to bring up the same old point but he has had money to spend and has spent it badly. If you lost your employer over half a million quid would you still be in a job?

Why can Hooper, Mcdonald and Paynter score every week for other teams when they couldn't score for us?

No he's not clever enough.

Sorry to bring up the same old point but he has had money to spend and has spent it badly. If you lost your employer over half a million quid would you still be in a job?

Why can Hooper, Mcdonald and Paynter score every week for other teams when they couldn't score for us?

I see your point, Tilly may have lost a lot of dough, but is also largely responsible for making a lot of dough, i.e. the trips to Cardiff, the Eastwood/Bailey/JCR/Hooper (we hope)/Barnard transfers. So i'd say they cancel each other out, or more in Tilly's favour if anything. He's spent wisely, but also badly. At lot of high profile managers have done the same. It seems to be part and parcel of the management game.

The Hoops/ Charlie Mac/Paynter thing is weird i agree. Same as, why didn't we recognise Kighlty's talents? Mayb these players have matured at other clubs in a way we could not bring them on? Possibly Tilly's fault, but you'd have to blame SUFC as a collective surely?

I think i should of really added to my OP, as it is a bit vague. I'm not suggesting Tilly has a mega plan to get himself the burlap, but more simply, would Tilly care if he got sacked? At the moment, from his press interviews etc it doesn't seem it to me. You can tell he is majorly ****ed off with everything. Yes he loves the club (and as i said, that's probably the only reason he's still here now, could you imagine any other manager putting up with it?) but i'm wondering, after the pretty crap support he's had from the board, has he run out of patience with them and as a knock-on effect, the club itself? If you loved your workplace/job , but was continually sh4t on or let down by your superiors, would that love start to wain?

Do you think Martin would sack Tilson even if we did go down? Who'd he replace him with? Are there any other better managers out there who'd be prepared to come and do a job for us with absolutely no financial backing?

If the rumours are true, then Martin came very close to axing Tilly last season. Only the Bristol Rovers game and the subsequent run of form/results saved him. If, of course, the rumours are true. Would he sack him if we went down? Depends on the pay-out. The bigger question is, would Martin renew T&B's contract?

If they left i'm sure we'd get some old dross in. Like a Wignall or a Newman. Maybe, just maybe, Dougie Freedman? Another theory/rumour i've heard...

If the rumours are true, then Martin came very close to axing Tilly last season. Only the Bristol Rovers game and the subsequent run of form/results saved him. If, of course, the rumours are true. Would he sack him if we went down? Depends on the pay-out. The bigger question is, would Martin renew T&B's contract?

If they left i'm sure we'd get some old dross in. Like a Wignall or a Newman. Maybe, just maybe, Dougie Freedman? Another theory/rumour i've heard...

Even if the rumours were true, there's a world of difference between circumstances last season and now with the threat of administration and Tilson having not been given a penny to spend in the meantime.

Call me naive but surely Martin must appreciate what he has with T&B and must know there'd be a backlash if he started messing around with the management.

Back