• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Tilly losing his marbles ?

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Tilly said after the Hartlepool game on the O.S. ''I actually thought we played better in the first half than in the second'' .
Now I know I'm getting on a bit and my memory and perception may not be what it was ,and I am a big Tilly fan and was sticking up for him when things have gone bad ,but was he just watching the same game that I was ? .
I thought we were absolute pants first half ,with many players having a mare with their performance and passing and marking ,to me ,it was just awful .But in the second half we came to life and everybody seemed to improve as we upped the tempo ,with many flowing moves and some great passing and we looked so much more of a threat and it looked a matter of time before we would score .
How did you see it ? .Is Tilly right or wrong on this occasion ? .

My exact thoughts when I watched it last night,probably the worst first half I have seen this season at home.The only OK player was Black.However the second half was 100% better.Tilly whatever you are smoking please pass some on to me!

I thought we played 100% better in the second half, what's he on about?!

Last edited:
First 20 minutes were fine apart from the sloppy goal. We created some good chances and didn't take them. We played more through midfield and got some decent crosses in. We then tried to ping hopeful balls to Revell without much thought, always a danger with a target man and lost our way. We didn't really change and got lucky with a great shot from Macca who overall can play much better than he did yesterday. No one has mentioned him giving away possession which led to their goal.Thank goodness for Black and Bailey. Not playing as well as you can and winning is what it's all about. For me when Gower has an off day we really struggle. He is one of the few players with that spark to make a difference. Yesterday just wasn't one of those days. It happens.
I think Tilson is therefore right in a way.

But we should have scored about 4 goals in the first half! My brother and I couldn't believe we hadn't put the ball in the net!! I really don't think we were as bad in the 1st half as some people thought. We realy should have won more comfortably.

I thought we were a shambles for the first hour. There was very little movement and the players seemed to lose the ability to complete even basic passes. Very disappointing.

We still created a few opportunities during that time, but I thought that was down to Hartlepool being every bit as bad as we were.

I thought we were a shambles for the first hour. There was very little movement and the players seemed to lose the ability to complete even basic passes. Very disappointing.

We still created a few opportunities during that time, but I thought that was down to Hartlepool being every bit as bad as we were.
Listen in on Blues World, and it did sound dour. The only bright spot for me is, winning while playing badly. Also was Mark Gower as bad as he sounded. When playing well best player at the club, when not awful.

What game was Tilson watching? We were awful until we equalised simple as that. Constant hoofs up to Revell, no football at all. We didn't deserve to win and if it wasn't for their centre back getting stupidly sent off we probably wouldn't.

And to the previous poster - yes, Gower was awful yesterday.

In my opiinion the whole performance was below that expected if we want to get promoted.

The urgency that was a highlight in the Leeds game was gone, with the defence just casually strolling up the pitch when the ball was cleared.

Cant think of any other sides in this league where the full backs are miles taller than the centre backs either. Strange.........

i heard this and i was in shock, how he can say that is beyond me. honestly have no idea.

i can't even talk about it. lol. was a stupid thing to say.

Maybe he was making reference to the fact that our best clear cut chances were in the first half. We all know what Tilly is like with interviews so maybe a pinch of salt required here me thinks. :p

I thought we were better in the second half but then they did only have 10 men some of it.

The first half was poor but if we had taken our chances, maybe it would not have been so bleak.

I said the same thing to Mrs E-TTB as I left the ground, and until Tilly said it in his interview I was left alone in my opinion.

Hartlepool had one chance in the first half, which they scored from, and one header from a free kick, that was it.

We created 2 or 3 clear cut chances, but just did not take them, however I think we ran out of ideas in the last 5 -10 minutes of the half, and started making sloppy errors.

In the 2nd half Hartlepool could easily gone 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes of the half, and other than a purple 15 minute patch when we scored 2 and looked to get a 3rd to kill it off we were genenrally poor, Hartlepool created 4 or 5 chances in the 2nd half.

Even against 10 men, we never really looked like scoring other than for about 5 minutes after we went 2-1 up. Other than that it was almost hanging on time.

At half time I thought I had had a "life on mars" experience and had woken up in the Alvin Martin era. I was honestly shell shocked at how poor we were for the first 45.

Personally I feel we have become too predictable. The opposition come to Roots hall knowing we like to build from the back and get it wide, so they have a game plan to close us down , hassle and harry the Midfield two and the two centre back so the ball gets forced backwards and we then end up knocking it long and , to be honest, Barrett and Clarke are not the most edept at this. Unfortunately the player in the squad who does drop a bit deeper and is able to deliver a more telling ball is currently not in the matchday 16

Back