• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Tilson our best manager ever?

Csboy

Manager
Dave Webb is still our best ever manager but Tilson is closing in as the greatest.

I think if Tilson gets us promotion this year it would be a greater achievement than going up to the old 2nd Division. He took over last year with the club in a total mess and in real danger of going out of the League, but has now led us to 2 Cup Finals and hopefully promotion.
He had to overcome the lost of our best striker last season and managed to get a better one.

I just hope the club give him a better contract soon as its pretty well known he is on of the poorest payed managers in the 4th Division(I still consider it he 4th), and the last thing we want is him to go to another club.

Well statistically the last time I worked it out using Dave Goody's formula he was 4th best but only a few percetage points behind Webby and Fry and Thompson. Frankly I don't think Fry and Thompson count due to the fact they were in charge for so few games. Given that Tilly took over a team heading for the conference I think he's second behind Webby, after all Webby is the only manager who took us into the promised land of the old first division. However with Tilly and Brush at the helm who knows what might happen.

If Southend get promotion and LDV double, surely he would be up there with Dave Webb. If we got manager like Steve Cotterhill (Burnley), Mickey Adam (Coventry) or Atkins (Bristol R - Fank god he not our manager) doing the same job as Tilson did now - they would walk out like Fry, but Iam glad a manager (who is SUFC fans like us) like Tilson is in charge.

Let make the most of it - Orient fans said they wish they has taste of glory like us.

I vote for Dave Smith ~ at least he brought us our one and only major piece of silverware. (The Fourth Division Championship for you young 'uns!)

Best I don't know, but getting close to being the most popular. Besides he's an Essex boy. That makes him numero uno.

Very Hard to compare with past legends like Dave Smith and Dave Webb, but Steve Tilson cares for our club and is a Wickford Legend... And Loves SOUTHEND UNITED FC

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Ted Fenton was good
smile.gif

If Tilly pulls of promotion and the cup he should be given the freedom of the town.  (and I can't see him walking out to manage a "Sleeping Giant" either.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 09 2005,21:51)]I vote for Dave Smith ~ at least he brought us our one and only major piece of silverware.
That claim of the only silverware may not be valid for much longer.

wink.gif

THE FELLA SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR HIS LOYALTY AND ACHIEVEMENTS...HOW ABOUT NAMING A STAND AFTER HIM AT THE NEW GROUND ?I ALSO THINK THAT WE AS FANS DONT SING HIS NAME ENOUGH FROM THE STANDS,HOW ABOUT AT THE NEXT AWAY GAME 30 MINUTES NON STOP 'STEVIE TILSONS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ Mar. 10 2005,10:18)]THE FELLA SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR HIS LOYALTY AND ACHIEVEMENTS...HOW ABOUT NAMING A STAND AFTER HIM AT THE NEW GROUND ?I ALSO THINK THAT WE AS FANS DONT SING HIS NAME ENOUGH FROM THE STANDS,HOW ABOUT AT THE NEXT AWAY GAME 30 MINUTES NON STOP 'STEVIE TILSONS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY'
Elmo, how about investing in a CAPS LOCK button ?

Dave Webb, Dave Smith, Tilly/Brush, Fry, Newman, Little

In that order for me (at the moment). That makes him the best manager in the last 13 years by a country mile.

Lets also give Paul Brush some credit here - I think that they are a great team that complement each other and one without the other would not be anywhere near as effective.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Mar. 10 2005,10:43)]Lets also give Paul Brush some credit here - I think that they are a great team that complement each other and one without the other would not be anywhere near as effective.
Yea I would go along with that because Brush had a bit of experience at Orient etc and clearly Tilly is still learning and cannot sort out apparent problems on his own

Dave Smith is our best ever Manager, with Webby a very close second - due to the simple fact that Smith's 1980-81 team won our only divisional title. However, Tilly could do the LDV and promotional double this season - and be right up there....

Then next season, with a bit of financial backing, we could do another "Webby" and go straight through into the Championship....
rock.gif

And give W@nk-Ham an hammering at Upton Park .... I can dream can I?

I would go for Smith just edging Webb (Smithy's team was awesome and that home record speaks for itself)
I would have TillyBrush fourth at the moment in front of Fry then Thomson. Those three have all done great rescue jobs, but TillyBrush have kept it up for longer and started at lot lower, but behind Arthur Rowley (who won our first ever promotion)
Promotion and an LDV would (IMHO) put TillyBrush, Webb, Smith ahead of Rowley and well clear of the rest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Mar. 10 2005,10:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ Mar. 10 2005,10:18)]THE FELLA SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR HIS LOYALTY AND ACHIEVEMENTS...HOW ABOUT NAMING A STAND AFTER HIM AT THE NEW GROUND ?I ALSO THINK THAT WE AS FANS DONT SING HIS NAME ENOUGH FROM THE STANDS,HOW ABOUT AT THE NEXT AWAY GAME 30 MINUTES NON STOP 'STEVIE TILSONS BLUE AND WHITE ARMY'

In that order for me (at the moment). That makes him the best manager in the last 13 years by a country mile.
ORM HOW ABOUT INVESTING IN A PERSONALITY INSTEAD OF WORRYING YOUR LITTLE HEAD ABOUT MY USE OF A KEYBOARD?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ Mar. 10 2005,17:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Mar. 10 2005,10:43)]
[b said:

ORM HOW ABOUT INVESTING IN A PERSONALITY INSTEAD OF WORRYING YOUR LITTLE HEAD ABOUT MY USE OF A KEYBOARD?
Post of the day?
tounge.gif

Back