• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Tilson really as good as we think?

Heskey

Coach
I do apologise if I have not got my facts right , and I myself am a big fan of Steve Tilson all for the same reasons as you. But I have come to think that his miraculous double-promotion was down to the sheer quality of the players we had on the pitch. I mean dont get me wrong it still is something quite brilliant but I think that the team we had , Eastwood , JCR , Gower , Maher , Goater .. pure class.

Im starting to think that it might just be time for change. If I was Ron .... who I also dislike... I would innocently have a look at some alternatives.

I do apologise if I have not got my facts right , and I myself am a big fan of Steve Tilson all for the same reasons as you. But I have come to think that his miraculous double-promotion was down to the sheer quality of the players we had on the pitch. I mean dont get me wrong it still is something quite brilliant but I think that the team we had , Eastwood , JCR , Gower , Maher , Goater .. pure class.

Im starting to think that it might just be time for change. If I was Ron .... who I also dislike... I would innocently have a look at some alternatives.

Not with 11 games to go its not!

Cant think of anyone who could do better in the situation we are in at the moment.....

Tilson has made mistakes this season but would not replace him for anyone at this moment in time.

Last edited:
Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger together would have a tough job polishing this ****

Didn't Tilly buy JCR, Eastwood and Goater????

Also brought the best out of Gower and Maher................

one of worst posts iv ever seen

As I put in another post

Can you please ask him if he really thinks it was down to part of the then management team, the mess we are in, or did they have an impossible task after selling the only goalscorer, not paying wages, endless loan signings, unsettled side, players playing out of position, tiny squad, no signings, promised new stadium not even started, tax evasion and transfer embargo's.
Surely these problems have been caused by the Chairman.

Any Manager would struggle to avoid relegation having to work with so many problems. It's a credit to his loyalty and love of Southend that Tilly hasn't walked.

Could you imagin the interviewfor a new manager,we have no money, we are late or are not paying the staff, o and that includes you, we have about 14 or 15 pro footballers, who are either not intrested or hopelesly out of form, we are on the verge of being relegated to div 2, and o if the tax man wants anymore money we might have to go into Administration, when can you start.

For L1 yes. The majority, excepting Goater, also played in the disasterous championship season and we were sunk withut trace.

I am not saying it's time for Tilly to go, but not sure he is the Demi-God that everyone makes him out to be.

Didn't Tilly buy JCR, Eastwood and Goater????

Also brought the best out of Gower and Maher................

Agreed, and if i'm not mistaken wasn't JCR purchased in the jan window of our league one winning season then promptly shipped of on loan to Col ewe? In which case you can't really give any of the credit to him

As I put in another post

Can you please ask him if he really thinks it was down to part of the then management team, the mess we are in, or did they have an impossible task after selling the only goalscorer, not paying wages, endless loan signings, unsettled side, players playing out of position, tiny squad, no signings, promised new stadium not even started, tax evasion and transfer embargo's.
Surely these problems have been caused by the Chairman.

Any Manager would struggle to avoid relegation having to work with so many problems. It's a credit to his loyalty and love of Southend that Tilly hasn't walked.

What he said....

We didn't get a full squad till January and morale and confidence already destroyed by then.

Yes Tilly is as good as we think, as his record shows, Cup finals, promotions, league titles, Cup upsets. None of that can be taken lightly or be expected every year, especially with the resources he currently has.

I think the past 2 seasons he has performed amazingly under extreme and difficult working conditions, i have faith that somehow he will again save us this year from relegation or if we do go down then i have the faith he can do it all over again!!!

You had obviously stayed up too late when you posted this tripe. Early to bed, early to rise....

For me, the decision on whether Tilly is up to the job or not is not about his abilities as a manager which at this level I don't think can really be questioned. Its more a question of has his shelf life here run out. As Peter Taylor was saying on the radio yesterday (about Phil Brown), sometimes just a change of face & personality is enough to turn a team around. However it doesn't always work of course.

Its possible Tilly could leave us for another struggling club & suddenly turn them around for the same reason, even though he's struggling to stop the rot here. Lest face it we've all heard his post-match interviews, he sounds so negative & depressed & almost like he's lost the will to keep fighting.

Tilly is a hero to 99.9% of us and I personally would want him to stay on even if (or when) we do go down so he has a chance to recharge the batteries & rebuild again. However, I think even I would start to wonder if a change would benefit everyone if we're not at least challenging for a L2 playoff spot by Christmas. Even the most rose tinted of us, including me, have to accept it can't go on for ever.

No chance and also a crazy decision to make, he knows the players, theirs good team spirit it keeps being said by every player that's interviewed. That is down to Tilson. We've just 'stopped the rot' !!!!

UTB!

Back