• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is your life living up to expectation?

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Are you happy with how your life has panned out? What did you want to do when you were younger, what did you study and is it relevant to the job/trade you ended up in?

What did I want to be when I was younger?
I like most kids wanted to be a pilot. But I also wanted to be a policeman.

What did you study at the highest level?
I studied Public Services at college for 3 years and achieved a BTEC National Diploma.

Is it relevant to my chosen job/trade?
Yes I suppose, we learnt about the forces so I had a rough idea of what services life would be like.

What job do you do?
I am an RAF Police Dog Handler.

Are you happy with your job?
I love my job and wouldn't change what I do. I am so happy with the way my life has turned out and unless I got asked to fly the fighter jets I wouldn't do anything else.

What do you want to do in the future? How do you plan on achieving this?
I want to progress through the rank structure and get to the highest rank possible in my career. By working hard and putting in a damn lot of effort like I already do.

Never been sure what I wanted to do. When I was younger I always wanted to be in football, never had the skill to be a player so it was either a manager or coach. Got older and got really into programming so decided to see what Uni courses there were. Went to Derby to study Computer Games Programming (best uni to do it due to the main lecturers' reputations), although after a year they sacked the main lecturers and after changes to the course it was less programming orientated and more admin based so looked elsewhere.

One of my biggest skills is maths and I am a massive statistics geek, and after doing Accountancy at A Level I thought I'd look into that.

Anything in football!

1 year at Uni. Currently doing AAT level 4, which is the same level as a degree I think.

Yes, very much so!

What job do you do?
Accountant's Assistant.

Not really, sat at a desk from 9am to 6pm or later isn't what I call enjoyable.

Want to become a professional football coach. Football is my biggest passion and the only thing I get excited about. Done the FA Level 1 course, so next step would be to get experience and then carry on doing the coaching badges, including the Youth Modules.

P.S. Nice thread, can't green and big respect for being in the RAF. My great uncle was in there and he used to look after the dogs too, but I guess that is slightly different to what you are doing!

Good final question there, well added will edit mine and write a little bit.

Can't remember but I've always harboured the dream of being a writer.

BSc(Hons) Computing & Electronics.

Yes absolutely. Would never had got it without it.

What job do you do?

Engineer for NR.

Just started it. Seems ok. NR in general is a pretty decent employer.

Get my daughter a good education and a good life. I'm focussing on building up my pension pot and retiring to the sun.

When i was very young, I wanted to be a farmer. For most of my youth, though, I wanted to join the Royal Navy

BSc Applied Physics and Engineering (Didn't complete it, I couldn't stand computer programming, and had basically picked the wrong course. One I was good at rather than one I was interested in)

Not in the slightest

What job do you do?
I'm a manager in a garden centre

Yep. I'm doing something I enjoy, even if the money isn't great. Do sometimes wish it'd challenge the grey cells a bit more though

Win the lottery, and spend my time working in my own garden, rather than helping others with theirs. I'm buying lottery tickets, I believe that helps a bit :smile:

I can remember telling a former Headmaster,as an eleven or twelve year old,that I wanted to be a teacher. (Must have been around the time I realised I'd never make it as a professional footballer).:smile:

M.A. in TESOL.

Yes.Given that I've been a TEFL teacher for over 35 years.

What job do you do?

See above.

Yes I am (with the usual reservations).

At my age, I'm more interested in our two daughters future than my own,though I'm quite looking forward to retirement in three years (or so) time.

I wanted to be a journalist when I was younger, always loved writing and used to make my own newspapers with stories, features, reports etc

I think my A-levels and NVQ level 3 are roughly the same equivalent

My NVQ is a requirement for the job I currently do, although only at level 2

What job do you do?
After 15 years or so with Midland Bank/HSBC before leaving to raise my children, I'm a learning support assistant, with particular responsibility for pastoral issues. So if, for example, a child has recently been bereaved then they spend some time in our care and we help them through. We have a child with a brother in the armed forces who has been in Afghanistan a lot, they come in and spend some time with us, and we have a couple of children who had a parent die when they were young, we also provide support for them. We also run targetted groups for children to help with behavioural or social issues and fine and gross motor skills. We also sort out a lot of the petty issues in school via our "Worry Box", and cover first aid during lunch time. There's a lot of counselling involved. It's varied and interesting.

I love my job, but my contract is not for enough hours so I am looking for something more.

Like Barna, my focus is on getting my children settled. At 19 and 21, it breaks my heart that neither of them can find full time work, if they could they, and I, would be so much happier. I remember the fun I had at their age because I was earning good money, and I want for them to be able to do that.

I wanted to be a journalist when I was younger, always loved writing and used to make my own newspapers with stories, features, reports etc

I think my A-levels and NVQ level 3 are roughly the same equivalent

My NVQ is a requirement for the job I currently do, although only at level 2

What job do you do?
After 15 years or so with Midland Bank/HSBC before leaving to raise my children, I'm a learning support assistant, with particular responsibility for pastoral issues. So if, for example, a child has recently been bereaved then they spend some time in our care and we help them through. We have a child with a brother in the armed forces who has been in Afghanistan a lot, they come in and spend some time with us, and we have a couple of children who had a parent die when they were young, we also provide support for them. We also run targetted groups for children to help with behavioural or social issues and fine and gross motor skills. We also sort out a lot of the petty issues in school via our "Worry Box", and cover first aid during lunch time. There's a lot of counselling involved. It's varied and interesting.

I love my job, but my contract is not for enough hours so I am looking for something more.

Like Barna, my focus is on getting my children settled. At 19 and 21, it breaks my heart that neither of them can find full time work, if they could they, and I, would be so much happier. I remember the fun I had at their age because I was earning good money, and I want for them to be able to do that.

Your job sounds great Kay - it must be really rewarding to be able to help kids in those situations. Good on you mate.

My mother in law and my sister are both LSA's so I know they do exactly what Kay has stated and they work very hard for not a great deal of money which I find criminal. Also I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't get involved with the teaching strikes cause it doesn't affect them and they end up covering while the teachers are striking.

[h=2]What did I want to be when I was younger?[/h]
I actually thought about being a chef in the army and tried to join when i was 16 but couldn't as i was too small at the time. I also got a job in the city when i was 16 and stayed there for 12 years which was fun but ultimately unrewarding.

I did my GCSE's at school and have a level two gym instructor certificate and i am currently doing a health and social care level 3 diploma for my job.

GCSE's etc are a requirement and the Gym ticket and health and social care course are not essential but help open doors.

What job do you do?

I work for the NHS as a support worker in secure forensic services. My job is vary varied and working on a medium secure unit is quite an experience. I would love the opportunity to train further but with the NHS cutting back everywhere i am kind of stuck in a rut.

I love my job but its not the best paid and the hours and shifts are long and its hard working christmas etc when everyone is at home. Its certainly not dull.

Try and train is some way shape or form as i have been working on my ward for a good few years and im a little burnt out. Im about to move in with my girlfriend and having a new home and shared bills will help with my finances so maybe i will be able to book up a cheap holiday soon. Overall i have two beautiful kids a steady job an amazing girlfriend and life could be a lot worse.

Your job sounds great Kay - it must be really rewarding to be able to help kids in those situations. Good on you mate.

I was going to say the same - good on you.

Cheers guys, it can be a bit harrowing at times as we also have to deal with some of the more unpleasant social problems that go with families in the wider sense but I do enjoy it.

My mother in law and my sister are both LSA's so I know they do exactly what Kay has stated and they work very hard for not a great deal of money which I find criminal. Also I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they don't get involved with the teaching strikes cause it doesn't affect them and they end up covering while the teachers are striking.

We go by what our union advises, we're not part of the teaching unions, LSAs are part of the GMB. Advice for Tuesday is to go to work as normal. An LSA should not be used to cover a class on their own unless they are a HLTA (Higher Level Teaching Assistant), unfortunately, it's expected in lots of schools for short periods of time. No way are we paid anything like what we're actually worth, think I worked it out before to about £11 a day, and also, unlike teachers, we're NOT paid for school holidays.

Cheers guys, it can be a bit harrowing at times as we also have to deal with some of the more unpleasant social problems that go with families in the wider sense but I do enjoy it.

We go by what our union advises, we're not part of the teaching unions, LSAs are part of the GMB. Advice for Tuesday is to go to work as normal. An LSA should not be used to cover a class on their own unless they are a HLTA (Higher Level Teaching Assistant), unfortunately, it's expected in lots of schools for short periods of time. No way are we paid anything like what we're actually worth, think I worked it out before to about £11 a day, and also, unlike teachers, we're NOT paid for school holidays.

As others have said, not a job you do for the money!
I know my kid's have often got on better with their assitants than their teacher.
At £11 pound a day shows dedication.

Something involved with football initially, but journalism became something I was interested in from about the age of 14/15.

Sports Journalism.

Yes.

What job do you do?
Reporter for eGaming Review, which is a trade magazine for the online gambling industry.

Yeah, it's fairly decent. Interesting sector to work in and I can get out of the office, but keeping companies sweet while breaking exclusive stories and reporting on some issues (usually poor company performance or when a regulator fines an operator for something or other) requires a lot of tact and patience.

I've a few options and things I'm working towards. I could easily stay in business journalism, but I've also looked into communications... Not PR, as that's the devil's work, but handling a company's communications strategy. I'm leaning increasingly towards football coaching at the moment though. I'm licences with the FA and have my Level 1 and the first Youth Module and I've been volunteering for clubs around South East London. I'm booked up to do my Level 2 early next year, and a friend who works for Arsenal reckons I can earn a decent living (£20 per hour, give or take a few quid). I could balance that out with some freelance journalism work, and being my own boss would be great.

I've a few options and things I'm working towards. I could easily stay in business journalism, but I've also looked into communications... Not PR, as that's the devil's work, but handling a company's communications strategy. I'm leaning increasingly towards football coaching at the moment though. I'm licences with the FA and have my Level 1 and the first Youth Module and I've been volunteering for clubs around South East London. I'm booked up to do my Level 2 early next year, and a friend who works for Arsenal reckons I can earn a decent living (£20 per hour, give or take a few quid). I could balance that out with some freelance journalism work, and being my own boss would be great.

If you would like us to put a recommendation to Johnnie Jackson for his new Academy then you only have to say....

I can honestly say I dont remember having any particular vocation in mind.

I have various BTEC 's, NVQ's C & G's in manufacturing engineering & mechanical/electrical maintenance.

Yes, it was an apprenticship

What job do you do?

Mechanical maintenance on engine testing system's

Definately. Good salary, good conditions & local.

Eldest daughter works now so want to see the younger one achieve her potential. For me personally, I'd like another ten years or so doing this job, then to retire and spend retirement working for charities. I do some now and I love it, but would love to devote a lot more time.

Some sort of scientist.

B.Sc (Hons) Physics

Not directly but employers in my line of business like physicists and it gives you a great understanding of the universe around you and how things work.

What job do you do?

Contract Scala programmer at a US investment bank.

Ideally I would.like to work outside the banking sector but my current role is really interesting and I don't have to deal with front office which is a bonus.

I would like to start a business locally and employ people from the region. Southend is turning into a ghetto and needs people to.provide opportunities for others.

I would like to start a business locally and employ people from the region. Southend is turning into a ghetto and needs people to.provide opportunities for others.
Good luck with that Cyril, it's a great ambition and absolutely true.

I wanted to run my own businesses.

A-levels

Vaguely.

What job do you do?

Shipbroker

It has it's perks, but ultimately it's not what I want to be doing and I do work long hours. I don't find the work particularly enthralling.

I am also an elected borough councillor and I find this can often bt rewarding, even if it takes an awfully long time to get anything done. I am a local party chairman and I play an active role in campaign strategy, and this is something i thoroughly enjoy and ultimately would like to do long term.

I'm about to buy a bar and to increase my income streams and I hope to add to this with other businesses in due course.

With regards to my political 'career', I hope to work in America as an political strategist at some point. The dream is a Senate/ Governoship race but we will see. This will obviously involve relocation which actually quite excites me.

After realising I wasn't good enough to be a footballer I decided I wanted to be an accountant, but I have always had a passion for flying. As far as I can remember I have always told people I will learn to fly one day, and I have.

B.A (Hons) Accountancy

Not directly but everything I have done has been a natural progression. After my degree I worked for an accountant but didn't qualify. I hated it, but the fact that I had a degree in accountancy and had worked in auditing got me my banking job in a type of internal audit area. From there I got into IT development, using Microsoft Access and VBA to produce all the reporting tools used within the department. When I left it was that experience that got me my job in telecoms, an industry I'm still in.

What job do you do?

Contract Business Analyst in the telecoms industry, although the industry is largely irrelevant...

Yes. I earn good money and don't have to work long hours. As a contractor I don't have to worry about HR putting their or in. I don't have objectives, and don't have performance reviews, and I don't have to conduct performance reviews because I no-longer manage anyone.

Retire! But in retirement I would like to keep busy by becoming a flying instructor. To do so I will have to qualify as a commercial pilot which is ridiculous, but the rules may be changing so that a PPL can also become an instructor. So, for the time being all I am doing to achieve this is...nothing, just waiting for the dust to settle. I would also like to gain an instrument rating which will make flying to away matches more achievable.

Back