• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Isle of Man coin legal tender?

chapperzUK

I have a 50p coin for the Isle of Man and was refused to pay for a bus ticket using it. I was told afterwards that he should have accepted it because they are legal tender in England.

Are they legal tender or not?

Yes, same as Scottish/Northern Irish bank notes.
It is illegal to not accept Sterling currency (Pounds or Pence) throughout the UK, unless the vendor suspects the currency is suspicious e.g. a forgery.

It is illegal to not accept Sterling currency (Pounds or Pence) throughout the UK, unless the vendor suspects the currency is suspicious e.g. a forgery.

Thanks. It has a motorcycle being raced on the tail side. I was so annoyed with that bus driver at the time :madman:.

That might be the case in Scotland*, but in England & Wales only Bank of England issued currency is legal tender and a vendor is well within their rights to refuse it.

*Actually, I don't think even Scottish notes are legal tender in Scotland, although in practice they are accepted.

I had a feeling that no notes or coins other than those issued by the Bank of England are "legal" tender in England or Wales although English Banks will accept/exchange notes from other UK Banks - not sure about coinage though to be honest. I rather think not which is why people tend to "lose" them in vending machines which are not quite so discerning.

I am not 100% but all I can say is any of the banks will accept them and swap them but they dont hand them out so make of that what you will.

That might be the case in Scotland*, but in England & Wales only Bank of England issued currency is legal tender and a vendor is well within their rights to refuse it.

*Actually, I don't think even Scottish notes are legal tender in Scotland, although in practice they are accepted.

No your right i just found this out this moring there is no such thing as legal tender in Scotland ! And no buisness has to accept your money as they can simply refuse to sell you goods !

From Martin Lewis email today:

True or False? Scottish notes aren't legal tender
Legal Tender - Facts & Fiction

From the end of next month the old style Edward Elgar £20 note will be withdrawn from circulation, meaning you can't use it, though you can trade it in at a bank. Yet what is, and isn't, acceptable is oft-shrouded in mist - mainly because the term 'legal tender' is pretty spectacularly misunderstood.

Are Scottish bank notes legal tender? No, not even in Scotland, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. It simply means most people don't understand what legal tender is (see below). Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales, meaning there are no legal tender notes in Scotland at all.

What is legal tender? It simply means if you have a court order against you for money, the person you owe cannot turn down your settlement if you offer to pay by legal tender.

Trivia time - Is 22p of 2ps legal tender? No but 18p is. For pub quiz use only, be aware that with coins the amount counts. So you can settle court debts of up to 20p in 1ps and 2ps; up to £5 in 5ps & 10ps and up to £10 in 20ps & 50ps. However, £1 & £2 coins are legal tender to any amount - in England, Scotland, Wales & NI.

What if a shop refuses your cash? There's little you can do, shops don't have to sell you goods, whatever you offer for payment.
Let me finish with a quick word to English shopkeepers - please do accept Scottish and Northern Irish notes. While not legal tender, they are UK Parliament approved legal currency, which makes them a perfectly acceptable way to pay. Discuss: Legal Tender

Back