• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Isn't it amazing...

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
...how we now all feel so upbeat when less than a week ago we were ready to hang ourselves.

Tilly and Brush were being hauled over the coals for not signing Worley and Saah (or hardly anyone for that matter) and I actually think people thought we'd start at the back on Saturday with youth teamers.

We now have serious competition for pretty much all places.

Keepers - Mildenhall, Joyce

Right backs - Sankofa, Francis, White

Centre Backs - Barrett, Heath, Mvoto, Francis

Left backs - Herd, Barrett, White (ok he's only a loan so there may be room to improve here)

Left Midfield - Moussa, Betsy, Scannell (although none of these are really long term solutions so room to improve here too)

Centre midfield - McCormack, Grant, Moussa, JFC, Grant, Sawyer, O'Keefe

Right midfield - Betsy, Grant, Sawyer, Scannell, Laurent, Walker

Strikers - Barnard, Revell, Freedman, Laurent, Scannell, Walker, Calver

Thats not a bad squad at all - very similar to the one that finished the season with a few more players back from injury.

Will we all now learn that T&B actually know best and when they pass up signing someone it may not be the nailed on disaster that everyone perceives. For instance, let's say we had taken on the early triallists (as most people wanted) we now wouldn't have Mvoto, who is probably the most exciting of the new lads because

1) He is French
2) He has played with Dorian <oo er> in the French U19 team
3) He didn't come from Colchester
4) He has played 41 times for PSG
5) He is tall
6) He looks like a cross between Micah Richards and Frank Bruno
7) He came from Sunderland who paid £300K for him

and all this despite the fact that none of us had ever sen him play and the only ones who had heard of him only did so through a computer game. Notwithstanding this, you just know that as Tilly says he is good at heading, the first time he heads the ball clear there will be warm applause round the Hall and he will get the MOM award v Huddersfield.

This is the reason we are fans and not football managers.

has mvoto actually signed, story only in the echo, nothing on the OS of either Southend or Sunderland, nothing on SkySports, Teamtalk, or any other footie sights. Am begining to think its all a load of nonsense and Phillips has written a load of garbage again!

Yes we have competition but a lot of these players we have not seen so we dont know how good they will be. It concerns me that our defence will be totally alien to each other (ok i know white and heath have played together in a few games).
Its well and good having quantity but you need quality also.
We have 4 good centre mids but our wingers are poor (or injury prone).
Our strikers realistically only Barney will hit double figures. Walker, Revell, Barney and Freedman all injury prone.

I still feel we need a real good quick striker and a wide player who can provide good crosses.

Yes we have competition but a lot of these players we have not seen so we dont know how good they will be. It concerns me that our defence will be totally alien to each other (ok i know white and heath have played together in a few games).
Our strikers realistically only Barney will hit double figures. Walker, Revell, Barney and Freedman all injury prone.

I still feel we need a real good quick striker and a wide player who can provide good crosses.

Revell is hardly injury prone is he? Surely breaking your leg is a bit of a freak accident - I dont recall him ever being injured previously or since...?

Revell is hardly injury prone is he? Surely breaking your leg is a bit of a freak accident - I dont recall him ever being injured previously or since...?

Think he's been injured a few times during his spell. Especially during the back end of the 2007/8 season (shortly after he signed)

Upbeat? Maybe more so than a week ago, however we have not made one single permanent signing during the summer.

Half the defence are on loan, which is fine if they turn in to permanent transfers, or even season long loans.

The cracks in the squad have only been poly-filled. The underlying lack of money and investment in the squad is still there ready to return.

Spot ****ing on. end of

Upbeat? Maybe more so than a week ago, however we have not made one single permanent signing during the summer.

Half the defence are on loan, which is fine if they turn in to permanent transfers, or even season long loans.

The cracks in the squad have only been poly-filled. The underlying lack of money and investment in the squad is still there ready to return.

Bingo.

I'm not massively upbeat either. Yeah it's nice that we've actually got recognised defenders in, but 1 of them has never played a single senior game and isn't even from this country, 1 is a right footed right back who we've got to play left back and the other 1 doesn't attract too many compliments from fans of his former clubs, whilst he hasn't played anywhere near the amount of games he should have for his age. We're probably going to go into a game with one of the promotion favourites with 3 of the back 4 having signed in the last week and having never played together as a unit. We are as has been mentioned, just filling over some cracks with short term answers.

I still can't quite believe that it appears that we're not actually going to make any permanent signings this summer.

...how we now all feel so upbeat when less than a week ago we were ready to hang ourselves.

Tilly and Brush were being hauled over the coals for not signing Worley and Saah (or hardly anyone for that matter) and I actually think people thought we'd start at the back on Saturday with youth teamers.

We now have serious competition for pretty much all places.

Keepers - Mildenhall, Joyce

Right backs - Sankofa, Francis, White

Centre Backs - Barrett, Heath, Mvoto, Francis

Left backs - Herd, Barrett, White (ok he's only a loan so there may be room to improve here)

Left Midfield - Moussa, Betsy, Scannell (although none of these are really long term solutions so room to improve here too)

Centre midfield - McCormack, Grant, Moussa, JFC, Grant, Sawyer, O'Keefe

Right midfield - Betsy, Grant, Sawyer, Scannell, Laurent, Walker

Strikers - Barnard, Revell, Freedman, Laurent, Scannell, Walker, Calver

Thats not a bad squad at all - very similar to the one that finished the season with a few more players back from injury.

Will we all now learn that T&B actually know best and when they pass up signing someone it may not be the nailed on disaster that everyone perceives. For instance, let's say we had taken on the early triallists (as most people wanted) we now wouldn't have Mvoto, who is probably the most exciting of the new lads because

1) He is French
2) He has played with Dorian <oo er> in the French U19 team
3) He didn't come from Colchester
4) He has played 41 times for PSG
5) He is tall
6) He looks like a cross between Micah Richards and Frank Bruno
7) He came from Sunderland who paid £300K for him

and all this despite the fact that none of us had ever sen him play and the only ones who had heard of him only did so through a computer game. Notwithstanding this, you just know that as Tilly says he is good at heading, the first time he heads the ball clear there will be warm applause round the Hall and he will get the MOM award v Huddersfield.

This is the reason we are fans and not football managers.

I'm torn between wanting Dorian to do really well at Spurs whilst secretly hoping it's just a little too soon for him so we can nab him again on loan at some point. If Mvoto has played with Dorian for France U19 then I'm sure Dervite has probably spoken to him about us and with Mvoto on loan it might make us even more appealing an option to Dervite if he becomes available in January say (along with the fact he enjoyed having Jeff and Laurent already at the club last season). If Mvoto is as good as suggested then he and Dervite could be formidable in League One!

Ok I'm dreaming again......

;)

Didnt he get a groin injury in his first season? Also didnt we take him on trial before and not actually trial him as he was injured?

To the word sums up my feelings. Happier yes but Happy - No....

Indeed.

When was the last time this happened?

It is slightly surreal to think that, apart from Christophe making his loan a permanent move in January, Freedman was actually our last proper signing. And that was on 1/9/08. :stunned:

Back