• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Isn't it amazing...

OK, we haven't made a single permanent signing yet. But we've only lost one permanent member of the squad too (2 I guess if you count Ademeno). We've lost a couple of loanees and brought in 4 more; one of whom we've been screaming for since January.

It is slightly surreal to think that, apart from Christophe making his loan a permanent move in January, Freedman was actually our last proper signing. And that was on 1/9/08. :stunned:

Was Dougie after Laurent then? My memory's not too good for details like this.

Yep. Dougie signed at about 11pm on deadline day, which last year was September 1st. Laurent signed a few days previous to that.

Ah, ok, thanks. That would be Laurent's original deal though would it or the swiftly offered extension?

Ah, ok, thanks. That would be Laurent's original deal though would it or the swiftly offered extension?

That was his original one year deal. He signed his extension not too long after the Leeds game where he tore them apart that night.

Are people generally upbeat then? I don't get that impression, in fact, I don't get that impression at all.

Whether it be on here, or speaking to friends/colleague at work who are STH's, I don't sense anything apart from impending doom about this Saturday's game against Huddersfield.

Personally, I am quite cheery, but thats purely because it's the start of a new season, it has little to do with our almost complete lack of transfer activity.

The squad is not as good as the one which finished last season. 3 key players are missing from it, Clarke, Devitte and Robsinon. None of these has been replaced. Yes, we have brought in Matt Heath from Colchester, but that isn't even close to solving our defensive headaches. We still do not have a left back (barring Herd, who I'm sure Tilly doesn't want to rely on), and we will likely go into this Saturday's game with two centre halves that are barely on first name terms, even less, formed any kind of pertnership.

I am struggling to understand the thought process behind John White's loan - He is a right back and we already have two of them. If Tilly is planning on playing him at left back, then that is equally unfathomable. What happened to Peter Gilbert, who we had on trial, and Tilly was pleased with?

One point I note from the original post was the amount of cover we have in various positions - Personally, I think we have plenty of cover in the centre of the park, in the striking department and at right back. That's it really. We do not posess ONE left sided midfielder - yes, Moussa did a job there last season, but he is far from natural, and has already been quick to express his unhappiness at playing there. We have Betsy and Scannell on the right - Neither, IMO, are good enough for this level. Grant is not more a right sided midfielder than I am, so to say we're well covered in thos area's is simply not true.

More worrying than anything perhaps is the fact we're yet to make one permanent signing - That tell it's own story of doom, and I would suggest that alone would be reason enough to be the total opposite of upbeat.

Are people generally upbeat then? I don't get that impression, in fact, I don't get that impression at all.

Well in fairness the early morning responses were. It's only when the old grumpy so and so's plus the Kevin and Perrys of this world surfaced that the misery returned

Whether it be on here, or speaking to friends/colleague at work who are STH's, I don't sense anything apart from impending doom about this Saturday's game against Huddersfield.

Personally, I am quite cheery, but thats purely because it's the start of a new season, it has little to do with our almost complete lack of transfer activity.

The squad is not as good as the one which finished last season. 3 key players are missing from it, Clarke, Devitte and Robsinon. None of these has been replaced. Actually Clarke was the only one who was ours and we have 4 loanees to replace the 2 loanees who left

Yes, we have brought in Matt Heath from Colchester, but that isn't even close to solving our defensive headaches. How do you know? He hasn't even played yet.

We still do not have a left back (barring Herd, who I'm sure Tilly doesn't want to rely on), White can play both sides

and we will likely go into this Saturday's game with two centre halves that are barely on first name terms, even less, formed any kind of pertnership.As were Clarke and Dervite last year when he played his first game against Bristol Rovers. We don't for certain know that Barrett won't be playing.

I am struggling to understand the thought process behind John White's loan - He is a right back and we already have two of them. If Tilly is planning on playing him at left back, then that is equally unfathomable. See above comment re White which should explain things fo you.

What happened to Peter Gilbert, who we had on trial, and Tilly was pleased with? Who knows? Ask Tilly.

One point I note from the original post was the amount of cover we have in various positions - Personally, I think we have plenty of cover in the centre of the park, in the striking department and at right back. That's it really. We do not posess ONE left sided midfielder - yes, Moussa did a job there last season, but he is far from natural, and has already been quick to express his unhappiness at playing there. We have Betsy and Scannell on the right - Neither, IMO, are good enough for this level. Scannell I'll agree. Betsy didn't have a great season but he is good enough I think. In any event thats your subjective opinion and obviously not Tillys.

Grant is not more a right sided midfielder than I am, He can play right midfield and right back if necessary.
so to say we're well covered in thos area's is simply not true.

More worrying than anything perhaps is the fact we're yet to make one permanent signing - That tell it's own story of doom, and I would suggest that alone would be reason enough to be the total opposite of upbeat.

Oh, the end of the world is nigh...

For Christ's sake I'm just getting so bloody cheesed off with all this pessimism! Look, we might not have a good season... but you know, we might surprise a few people. The squad is not significantly different than the one that hauled itself up the table and won 3/4 of the games since January.

If we all believe it will be a nightmare, then it will be. Everyone will focus on the negative rather than the positive. As fans we can cheer the team on to perform beyond their ability. If we all just shrink and abuse, the team will stutter and struggle, especially at home.

If you are feeling personally quite cheery RC, then God knows what you're like if you're miserable.

To be fair i think the majority of fans would be be somewhere in the middle i.e 1% who are far to positive over any signing etc to the 1% who are negative about everything.

Personally i won't make a comment on any of the new defenders ability until i have seen them play, because it seems to me some people are being overly negative about Heath but on the flip side too many people are being overly positive about the French guy, and i am pretty sure no one on here has ever seen him even set foot on a football pitch!

In realistic terms i think we will finish lower midtable around 15 or 16th simply because in imho a forwards are not good enough to the point i don't think anyone in the top half of this division would be interested in any of them.

To be fair i think the majority of fans would be be somewhere in the middle i.e 1% who are far to positive over any signing etc to the 1% who are negative about everything.

Personally i won't make a comment on any of the new defenders ability until i have seen them play, because it seems to me some people are being overly negative about Heath but on the flip side too many people are being overly positive about the French guy, and i am pretty sure no one on here has ever seen him even set foot on a football pitch!

In realistic terms i think we will finish lower midtable around 15 or 16th simply because in imho a forwards are not good enough to the point i don't think anyone in the top half of this division would be interested in any of them.

not far off apart from I believe lee barnard (when fit) would get in quite a few of the 'top teams' his first touch is class and has shown he can score goals reguarly, unfortunately he is a bit fragile, mid table about right(although you never know)

So, in fact Laurent was both before AND after Dougie? :unsure:

No, he signed his first contract, a one year deal, before the transfer window shut. Then after a string of good performances and goals, he signed a new contract.

Oh, the end of the world is nigh...

For Christ's sake I'm just getting so bloody cheesed off with all this pessimism! Look, we might not have a good season... but you know, we might surprise a few people. The squad is not significantly different than the one that hauled itself up the table and won 3/4 of the games since January.

If we all believe it will be a nightmare, then it will be. Everyone will focus on the negative rather than the positive. As fans we can cheer the team on to perform beyond their ability. If we all just shrink and abuse, the team will stutter and struggle, especially at home.

If you are feeling personally quite cheery RC, then God knows what you're like if you're miserable.

I wasn't aware I was being pessimistic, I was just calling it as I saw it - You started the debate by posting the thread - Sorry if I share a different stand point to you, in future, I'll just refrain from posting eh?

Oh, and when did I say I would be abusing the team and not cheering them on exactly? Please don't put words into my mouth.

You're quite right, if PLAYERS and STAFF believe they will fail miserably, then yes, they probably will - self fulfilling propechy - But my feelings towards this season will have absolutely no bearing on how we perform.

That said, I'm not sure me putting my opinion across re the topic you raised warrants you getting all hot under the collar about it.

Totally agree with this and i'd be surprised if any fan did'nt.

I don't think there's anything wrong with our forwards, but yeah I think that sort of finish will be quite a realistic prediction. I'm holding out hope for top half but that would be a very good performance all things considered.

I don't think there's anything wrong with our forwards, but yeah I think that sort of finish will be quite a realistic prediction. I'm holding out hope for top half but that would be a very good performance all things considered.

I think a fully fit and firing Lee Barnard is as good a finisher as any striker in this division - The trouble is, unlike the Beckfords of this world, he needs service to be able to score those goals, and as we saw last season, we don't have that at the moment.

When Theo joined, his pace alone helped him score a number of his goals, and it also created more space for the likes of Barney and Co as defences would become stretched - As important as service is, it was not highlighted quite as much as when our attacking options were relatively pedestrian.

The striking options are not our biggest problem - The defence, which has been unwell for a number of seasons, bar 3 months last season, is more than likely weaker than at any point in recent times, and everything a team does is under pinned by this. If you can't get that right, as was proven last season, you will not be successful.

Part of that creativity issue will be sorted by having Lee Sawyer in the side, and also Moussa still on the left wing. Also, Laurent has been involved in a number of goals and missed chances in pre-season. I'm confident that these 3 players, if selected, will provide the ammunition for the likes of Lee Barnard, Dougie Freedman et all.

Back