• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Isn't it amazing...

Totally agree with this and i'd be surprised if any fan did'nt.

I actually think a fit a firing Lee Barnard and Dougie Freedman are one of the best pairings in the division, but thats a big IF with them two being fit.

After them two we have the pace of Walker, the trickery or Laurent and the height of Revell. I'm happy enough with our forwards, I think they will all chip in with the required amount of goals.

Barnard, if fit, will get us 15-20 goals a season.

To be fair i think the majority of fans would be be somewhere in the middle i.e 1% who are far to positive over any signing etc to the 1% who are negative about everything.

Personally i won't make a comment on any of the new defenders ability until i have seen them play, because it seems to me some people are being overly negative about Heath but on the flip side too many people are being overly positive about the French guy, and i am pretty sure no one on here has ever seen him even set foot on a football pitch!

In realistic terms i think we will finish lower midtable around 15 or 16th simply because in imho a forwards are not good enough to the point i don't think anyone in the top half of this division would be interested in any of them.

agree but like other people have said, i non crocked Barnard would be still knocking about in spurs reserves!
havent seen any pre season games, but if laurent can play right wing, and people get off walkers back, + sawyer in midfield, we might be pretty sharp going forward. shutting up shop in away games with JFC and Grant playing deep to cover our newbie defence. seems like midtable to me, and if the diggers do arrive at fossets, (and potentially some nice derby wins) it would be a good season,
or alternatively as some people on here insist we could get thumped every week,
either way, it will be anything but interesting
ROLL ON THE NEW SEASON!

Last edited:
Oh, the end of the world is nigh...

For Christ's sake I'm just getting so bloody cheesed off with all this pessimism! Look, we might not have a good season... but you know, we might surprise a few people. The squad is not significantly different than the one that hauled itself up the table and won 3/4 of the games since January.

If we all believe it will be a nightmare, then it will be. Everyone will focus on the negative rather than the positive. As fans we can cheer the team on to perform beyond their ability. If we all just shrink and abuse, the team will stutter and struggle, especially at home.

If you are feeling personally quite cheery RC, then God knows what you're like if you're miserable.

dont like someones opinions that dont shadow yours?? tuff its a fans forum , We are alll entitled to our opinions surely? I would love to share your optomism, and Im pretty sure you dont actually believe what you write, but if you cant say how you feel on a fans forum, not allowed to say how you feel in the stadium in case it upsets the players and heavans forbid you write a letter in the echo and RM finds out and patronises you in his responce then were can you say how you feel ?

dont like someones opinions that dont shadow yours?? tuff its a fans forum , We are alll entitled to our opinions surely? I would love to share your optomism, and Im pretty sure you dont actually believe what you write, but if you cant say how you feel on a fans forum, not allowed to say how you feel in the stadium in case it upsets the players and heavans forbid you write a letter in the echo and RM finds out and patronises you in his responce then were can you say how you feel ?

In fairness mate the point of disagreeing with someone is exactly what fans forums are all about.

Of course people are entitled to their own opinions but that means they are also entitled to disagree with others opinions. RC has always put his points across in a reasonable well constructed way (as do many posters on here) and on occasion has persuaded me and others to perhaps see his point of view; in turn I like to think that sometimes I have persuaded some to see my point of view but on certain occasions we just agree to disagree; it doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong but we simply have differing opinions. That's what debate is all about and it's not an issue for me so I'm sure it's not an issue for him.

I certainly never abuse someone who doesn't share my opinion.

What I DO have a problem with is people who come on here and spout unsubstantiated rubbish, can't back up what they are saying and then abuse or flame someone who dares to contradict.

Incidentally, why haven't you gone back to all the people who disagreed with my original post (of which there are plenty) and had a go at them for disagreeing with me? Possibly because you are more in agreement with them - which is absolutely fine - but can you see the point I'm trying to make here?

Last edited:
Spot on, opinions make a forum what it is and if there wern't differing ones we would all live in some weird loving kind of utopia.......think i just had a flashback to being in a field in the middle of nowhere dancing to a car alarm with 100,000 other people.

In fairness mate the point of disagreeing with someone is exactly what fans forums are all about.

Of course people are entitled to their own opinions but that means they are also entitled to disagree with others opinions. RC has always put his points across in a reasonable well constructed way (as do many posters on here) and on occasion has persuaded me and others to perhaps see his point of view; in turn I like to think that sometimes I have persuaded some to see my point of view but on certain occasions we just agree to disagree; it doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong but we simply have differing opinions. That's what debate is all about and it's not an issue for me so I'm sure it's not an issue for him.

I certainly never abuse someone who doesn't share my opinion.

What I DO have a problem with is people who come on here and spout unsubstantiated rubbish, can't back up what they are saying and then abuse or flame someone who dares to contradict.

Incidentally, why haven't you gone back to all the people who disagreed with my original post (of which there are plenty) and had a go at them for disagreeing with me? Possibly because you are more in agreement with them - which is absolutely fine - but can you see the point I'm trying to make here?

yes I do now see your point

Im very upbeat for the new season and cannot wait for Saturday. Ok, so we dont have the complete squad and we have plugged a couple of holes with the short term loan signings but on the whole we have some good players.

If Tilly is going to play with wide men then he should consider sticking with Laurent on the right. Against Ipswich he embarassed Delaney who was eventually subbed off. A diamond midfield is also an option with our four good centre midfielders (mccormack, grant, moussa, sawyer/cristophe)

The squad is not significantly different than the one that hauled itself up the table and won 3/4 of the games since January.

In pure percentage terms we have a very high number of the squad that finished the end of last season. In pure percentage terms we also have a 100% surfeit of the centre half partnership that was a high percentage of the reason for the run in the second half.

I'm upbeat with Bluebeat, which is about right for this thread! Heads up with 'fbm' and like Shankly said, "if you're a pessimist, you'll get nothing..."

Well you've got me beat. My rule of thumb where SUFC is concerned is to be pessimistic, then if we avoid relegation we've had a good season. I think. :unsure:

To honest i think if you offered most supporters 54 to 56 points now to stay up this season they would take it. Some of course think we are top six side, but not many me thinks.

To honest i think if you offered most supporters 54 to 56 points now to stay up this season they would take it. Some of course think we are top six side, but not many me thinks.

I would suggest that is the premise for any season supporting Southend United not just 2009/10.

Back