• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
... David Webb he taught his boys to play

A scuffed cross from Ansah which fell perfectly for Ian Benjamin, "a shimmy and a shot" ...

cue one of THE biggest mentals i've ever been part of on a football terrace

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ONE AND ALL !!!!!!

[video=youtube;s94LR_50iGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94LR_50iGU[/video]

The scenes on the terraces at Bury made the celebrations after winning League One in 05/06 seem like a quick half on the way home from work.

Benji and "ooh" Andy Ansah were strutting teir stuff at the Hall last night. They both still looked quite sharp, although the oppo were mostly a bunch of old overweight men!!!

My god, 20 years. I was there with my mate Graham Houghton, now sadly deceased I'm afraid. During the mayhem of the goal celebration he fell down the terrace and twisted his ankle. We bombed back down to Essex (me now driving) and I wanted to take him to hospital as it had swollen to melon size, he insisted we go straight to Roots Hall. A great night ensued with the players, management and fans largeing it up. It was different back then as the fan base was far smaller.
I ended up crashing out in his spare room and woke in the middle of the night busting for the loo, couldn't get there but did make it to the wardrobe. His wife wasn't too impressed in the morning!! Happy days....

Was in the stand where the Bury camera was situated - but dearly wanted to be with the fans on the terrace behind the goal.
Agree the League One championship and even beating Man U, didn't have quite the same impact - although winning 2-1 on the last day of 89-90 season at Posh came pretty close.
By the way, hadn't realised it at the time, but there must have been a hell of a run on material for shorts. Some of them are disappearing up their a---s. A bit like Ron's statements...

We drove home at breakneck speed and headed straight for The Railway where the party was in full swing, a few hours later in walked Pat Scully, Peter Butler and Ian Benjamin (who was literally carried to the bar) where about a dozen pints were already lined up for them) later Scully and Butler climbed up on a table to lead rousing renditions of a host of old Irish songs, Wild Rover Molly Malone etc ...

Top top top night

Probably my favourite ever day as a Southend fan and even though we never went on to win the title, the 90/91 team eclipses the side that won league one in 2006 in my opinion!

I was there truly the greatest moment in the clubs history at the time. Grown men cried that day and I am not ashamed to admit I cried that day. We all dreamed for years we could make it to the old 2nd Division but never really believed it would happen. Can't believe its been 20 years where did that time go. The only sour moment was the Police arresting some Southend fans for doing nothing and a Police officer hit the poor boy whose father had been arrested for doing nothing. It nearly sparked a riot and I have seen the police do some bad things at Football but that was the worst.
We had Pat Scully sent off in the 1st half, Bury were a decent team in the play off positions but instead of sitting back and taking a point we took the game to Bury and can still see Benjiman's shot curling into the near post to set off the greatest celebrations ever seen watching Southend. What a great manager Dave Webb was asembled a great side and quite a few of the players like Chris Powell, Bean Austin and Brett Angell would go onto have pretty good careers.
Happy St Webb and St Benjiman's day to all who were at that game.

'Who put the ball in the Bury net Ian Benjiman'

The only sour moment was the Police arresting some Southend fans for doing nothing and a Police officer hit the poor boy whose father had been arrested for doing nothing. It nearly sparked a riot and I have seen the police do some bad things at Football but that was the worst.

Adrian Abbott got nicked that day, and during his trial his brief asked for the video footage to be shown to prove his innocence. Surprise, surprise, the police claimed it was being changed during the moment he was arrested. It took him several years to get that conviction quashed and the rightful compensation paid to him. Remember going to Blackpool that evening?. We gave Wolves fans a run for their money along the promenade!.

I loathe all this remembering the Bury game. Decided I could not afford to go and listened to what crackly news I could get from Essex radio (I think) from a poor reception in deepest Suffolk.

Made a similar naff decision for the third Millenium Stadium trip. And for the Anglo Italian away trips. And that Donny away mauling. Or those four Sunderland away trips. Or the New Years Day Newcastle match.

So for Christ's sake shut the **** up. It's really really boring.

Now, if you want to talk about Notts County home 1971, Aston Villa home 1971, Gillingham home 1972, Chelsea home 1972, the Easter weekend of 1973, Brighton away 1974, QPR home 1975, Derby away 1976 and 1978, Watford away 1978, West Ham away 1979, England v Scotland 1977/79/81, Liverpool home 1979, Hereford away 1981, Torquay away 1981, Tottenham home 1989, Aylesbury away 1989, Colchester away 1990, Peterborough away 1990, Everton away 1992, Derby home 1994, Charlton away 1996, Col Ewe home and away 2004, Millenium Stad 2004 and 2005, Col Ewe away 2006, Swansea away 2006, Bristol City home 2006, Man U home 2006, Ipshite away 2007, Chelsea away 2009, Southampton away 2010, Accrington Stanley x 2 2011 ............I'm your man.

UTB:smile:

I loathe all this remembering the Bury game. Decided I could not afford to go and listened to what crackly news I could get from Essex radio (I think) from a poor reception in deepest Suffolk.

Made a similar naff decision for the third Millenium Stadium trip. And for the Anglo Italian away trips. And that Donny away mauling. Or those four Sunderland away trips. Or the New Years Day Newcastle match.

Now, if you want to talk about Notts County home 1971, Aston Villa home 1971, Gillingham home 1972, Chelsea home 1972, the Easter weekend of 1973, Brighton away 1974, QPR home 1975, Derby away 1976 and 1978, Watford away 1978, West Ham away 1979, England v Scotland 1977/79/81, Liverpool home 1979, Hereford away 1981, Torquay away 1981, Tottenham home 1989, Aylesbury away 1989, Colchester away 1990, Peterborough away 1990, Everton away 1992, Derby home 1994, Charlton away 1996, Col Ewe home and away 2004, Millenium Stad 2004 and 2005, Col Ewe away 2006, Swansea away 2006, Bristol City home 2006, Man U home 2006, Ipshite away 2007, Chelsea away 2009, Southampton away 2010, Accrington Stanley x 2 2011 ............I'm your man.

Yes, 2 players scoring 2 or more goals on consecutive days; pretty sure it hasn't happened since !

I give up. What's even slightly special about that? A poor season, results wise. 18th in the Fourth Division with players like Best, Garner, Chisnall, Lindsey, Alex Smith, Joe Jacques makes you realise just how far the standard has plummeted.

I remember that day very well,i was 12 years old and it was first time i had seen us get promotion.Still my favourite of our promotions.

My first match was the following season against Charlton when Dean Austin scored Southend's first penalty for what seemed absolutely ages. To this day, I'm still pleased I was lucky enough to see that team in action. It's a shame as we'll never have those times again, those were the days, my friend!

I give up. What's even slightly special about that? A poor season, results wise. 18th in the Fourth Division with players like Best, Garner, Chisnall, Lindsey, Alex Smith, Joe Jacques makes you realise just how far the standard has plummeted.

my first game!

very special.

wanted to go to West Ham

Dad thought SUFC was safer ................plus prob the more likely influence, cheaper

Back