• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yes! It really was 50 years ago today that the then Southend United manager Ernie Shepherd signed Billy Best from Northampton Town for a modest £3,000 fee. All Blues fans at that particular time were hoping we would be signing a big tall, bustling centre-forward to help the smaller less physical[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]players at the club, which at that time included Andy Smillie & Johnny Baber alongside Phil Chisnall, who was signed at the beginning of that season from Liverpool, as well as tricky left winger John McKinven.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our fans were equally disappointed when we discovered that our new signing was in fact only 5' 6" tall, no bigger, and in some cases smaller than some current squad members, and in those first few matches our concerns were well founded when Billy failed to score.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was however, at the fifth time of asking, that he opened his account, scoring the first goal in a 2-2 draw against Halifax Town at[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Roots Hall, watched by almost 7,000 fans. Billy then went on to score a total of 14 goals in the final 20 matches and although we somehow managed to miss out on promotion, his goal-scoring exploits were good enough for him to be voted Player of the Year at the end of the 1967-68 season, even though he only joined us in January. Over the next five seasons Billy scored over 100 goals in many memorable matches which included a club record 9 hat-tricks. These were league matches against Chester, Exeter City, Aldershot, Scunthorpe United, Peterborough United, Grimsby Town, Reading and a couple in those never to be forgotten F.A.Cup matches against Kings Lynn and Brentwood Town. There is also little doubt to all fans who witnessed many of the matches at that time, just how important our big fellow strikers Gary Moore, Bill Garner and Chris Guthrie were in his quest for goals. Certainly their help has always been acknowledged by Billy himself when he talks so fondly of his time at the club.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So were you a fan back in the days when Billy Best was playing for Southend United ? Do you remember travelling to the cup matches at Bournemouth, Swindon and Mansfield and the games at Roots Hall against Kings Lynn, Brentwood Town, Weymouth, Dagenham, Aston Villa and Chelsea, as well as the many league games he played for us back then.
When we all look back over the years, has there ever been a better front three players than Billy Best, Gary Moore and Bill Garner who amassed an amazing 225 goals for the club in a little over 500 matches?
Billy Best played 246 (+1 sub) matches for Southend United between January 1968 and April 1973 and scored a total of 123 league and cup goals, and for all of the misty-eyed brigade who, like me, treasure those memories, I think it's fair to say I doubt we will ever see his like again.

:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy: :Worthy: "MANY MANY THANKS FOR ALL THOSE MEMORIES BILLY" :Worthy: :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy: [/FONT]

Gawd, 50 years!!! Are you sure? Such memories of a great man and fantastic times. Still the best ever Blues player IMHO.

Good to see Ernie got in just before the Transfer Window!

Seriously, one of the greatest bits of business this club has ever done.

King Billy has not kicked a ball for Southend for 45 years yet supporters of a certain age still talk about him as if he was playing last week . 100s of players have come and gone in that time yet none of them have ment so much to a lot of supporters as King Billy . He was a key member of the 1968-69 team that should of gone on to do much more and the 1971-72 team that were runners up in Div 4 . As I look back Collymoore , Otto , Crown and Eastwood have all come and gone but it is King Billy that I and all my friends means so much to us , Long Live The King .:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

BBthelegendliveson Great post .Yes those were great days and remember them very well. Especially those two cup games against Kings Lyn and Brentwood. Went to a party on Caney after the Brentwood game to friends 18th and did we party especially to Jimi Hendrix All along the watch tower. Lets hope we can rekindle some of that spirit under our new Messiah.
What a great guy Chris is. Good luck

He was quite simply, the Best. Not just for his goalscoring exploits but for his demeanour on and off the pitch. I expect someone will correct me, but I can't remember him ever being booked or even committing a bad foul. I would never trade memories of those late 60s, early 70s Div 4 and Cup games for anything that has happened since. What a shame there is so little video footage of that time.

50 years? Christ where have all those years gone? Great remembering some of those games and times, with out doubt Billy was THE Best.

King Billy has not kicked a ball for Southend for 45 years yet supporters of a certain age still talk about him as if he was playing last week .

This is my Dad. He has told me many stories about Billy and by far his favourite ever SUFC player. You know when the club offers deals to sit in the posh seats, well this is something that has never interested me or my Dad. But when he heard Billy Best was going to be in the bar area he got us tickets even though we already had our season ticket seats. Makes me laugh to do this day seeing him acting like a little kid meeting his hero and asking for his autograph (never seem him ask anyone for an autograph before) which still proudly sits on his desk at his house.

From what I've heard, seems like we could do with a player like him now!

..... and of course it will be 50 years ago on Saturday, that he made his debut. Still remember being at Chester for that match and even more so his second match with just a handful of Southend fans for this midweek match in appalling (typical Welsh) weather conditions at Newport 10 days later (Howard Moore made his debut in that one).

So still time for history to repeat itself with a debutant Saturday who goes on to excel and be Player of the Year. In respect of that award, the existing players have thoughtfully left the way clear.

Billy Best - with a name like that he was born to be a footballer

And his highlight (aside from meeting me earlier this year and getting a copy of Roots To The 92 for free :smile:) - joining SUEPA of course, currently our oldest member.

Cheers Nobbler, a great post

Great post. That Halifax game was the first match I ever saw. Nine years old. I hadn't realized I saw Billy's first goal for us. I saw quite a few games that year and do particularly remember the Kings Lynn and Brentwood games - 9-0 and 10 -1! Wonderful memories.

Billy simply was the best I've seen at the Hall
His acceleration from a standing start was just electric
His ability to outjump blooming great centre halfs and head goals was amazing
And he had an uncanny knack of always seeming to know where the loose ball in
penalty area was going to fall
What is more is he never ever gave up chasing apparently lost causes and I can
personally vouch that he was a nice pleasant modest bloke off the pitch
Yes yes Billy was the Best ������

All these years later and NOBODY has surpassed the great man - King Billy. Childhood wonder seeing such an iconic Southend United player has played a huge role in my love of the club.
Georgie Best was fantastic. Billy Best was THE Best!

All these years later and NOBODY has surpassed the great man - King Billy. Childhood wonder seeing such an iconic Southend United player has played a huge role in my love of the club.
Georgie Best was fantastic. Billy Best was THE Best!

Glad you've posted. People were getting a bit stressed that they hadn't seen you post in a while

Back