• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Italy v England Euro 2024 Group C Qualifier - 19:45 Live coverage on Channel 4 from 19:00

Cant' complain with a win in Italy, though the Italians were a shadow of the side that beat us at Euro 2020. Stick Rashford instead of Grealish and that looks a good team.
Was baffled by Mancinis selection of centre backs and they will be a much more attacking force when raspadori is fit again. I'm not sure why they didn't start politano either, he's had an impressive run in the napoli team that is 19 points clear at the top of serie a and they were certainly a better team going forward after he came on

Haha I can see both points of view to be fair. Some parts of Naples are a dump and poverty ridden. It still has beautiful narrow side streets with rich character and if you go away from the city centre and down to the promenade you see a totally diffent Naples. Need to remember that quote is over 300 yrs old
Yes I have been there on several occasions and like so much of southern Italy there is terrible poverty and crumbling infrastructure, but the architecture is wonderful and in Goethe's time (late 1780s when he visited I think) everything was in a better condition than now. The film 'Gomorrah' and subsequent TV series was graphic in its depiction of gang warfare and drug dealing. That said, I was amused at the abrupt dismissal of Napoli as a dump!

Yes I have been there on several occasions and like so much of southern Italy there is terrible poverty and crumbling infrastructure, but the architecture is wonderful and in Goethe's time (late 1780s when he visited I think) everything was in a better condition than now. The film 'Gomorrah' and subsequent TV series was graphic in its depiction of gang warfare and drug dealing. That said, I was amused at the abrupt dismissal of Napoli as a dump!
I love gomorrah, one of my favourite TV series. I don't think I've seen a drama on organised crime that makes the life look so grim, definitely no glorification at all.

Naples is falling apart, but it is one of the oldest cities around that hasn't had major redevelopment. I find it quite charming as it is different, I couldn't live three though. I also love how cheap it is compared to the Northern Italian cities, €2 for a bottle of peroni in a bar! Wine even cheaper!

Sound like the England fans were much better behaved than frankfurt last week. I was listening to the napoli podcast "in the shadow of versuvio" this week and Michele, who lives in Naples was saying the police probably add more tension with away fans with the way they treat them. Most Italian club fans don't go to napoli away as the police often delay them getting in the ground and it's not uncommon for them to miss the 1st 30mins of a game. Hope you got in on time to enjoy the whole game
Yeah we got in with plenty of time as smart enough to use the metro, knowing that would happen pre game. Had no option on the way back as the metro was closed by the time we got out.

Yeah club away fans also get treated like scum by the police and home fans, hence my recent comment about their fans. Only have to see how English clubs have got on their.

Personal opinion then, but I thought the city was a dump. Hundreds of years ago the city may of been as described in that quote but my view is it’s not now. But then I think Paris is a s**thole aswell

On paper our toughest fixture of the qualifying campaign so that's a really good result. Pleased for Kane to get the record and some redemption for the World Cup, you could see how much it meant to him. Without Chiellini and Bonucci Italy look a lot weaker defensively. I think the commentators made the point that there are only seven Italian players across the three Serie A teams who are in the Champions League quarter-finals. The fact that a Leeds fringe player came on for them is worrying.

Would like to see a few changes for the North Macedonia game and some new faces like Toney and Maddison given a go. Knowing Southgate it won't happen though.

"See Naples and then die" was a common expression, echoed most famously on his grand tour by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, to identify Naples as the most naturally and artistically beautiful city in the world; so beautiful that one needn't look upon anything else after seeing it.

"Naples is a bit of a dump to be honest"
Seem to remember back in the day (the 80's IIRC) it was certainly worth visiting.Probably the only place I've been to which has more pickpocktes,the aply named (rateros), than Barna (though Mexico city certainly comes close). :Winking:

Seem to remember back in the day (the 80's IIRC) it was certainly worth visiting.Probably the only place I've been to which has more pickpocktes,the aply named (rateros), than Barna (though Mexico city certainly comes close). :Winking:
Yes, we were staying in Sorrento in '86 and our tour courier warned us about going to Naples because of the pickpockets and muggers so of course we had to go and see for ourselves. One of our party then inevitably got dipped, losing his wallet which had not only cash but credit cards in it. His wife was not best pleased.

How are we in the same group as Italy anyway ? Finished 1 & 2 in the last finals and I think both ranked highly in the rankings

Personally would play the best team available, secure points, once qualified tinker with the team
Can only imagine the reaction ,if Southgate fields a new look team and get beat !!!
I reckon Southgate is very single minded, and will do whatever is necessary to win the group and thus qualify.

How are we in the same group as Italy anyway ? Finished 1 & 2 in the last finals and I think both ranked highly in the rankings
Seeding is based on the Nations League and we were relegated last year into the second tier, which means we aren't pot 1.

IIRC we lost to France in Qatar (as I'd correctly predicted). :Winking: Who we'll lose to in Germany I've no idea.
Why do you feel the need to stick it to people before the tournament has even started Phil? It almost sounds like you want England to fail (which I'm sure is not the case).

Why do you feel the need to stick it to people before the tournament has even started Phil? It almost sounds like you want England to fail (which I'm sure is not the case).
As it happens I've never met GYS or TB .It's's just that having watched every tournament since 1966 (when only Alf Ramsey thought we'd win) I'm rather used to disappointment. :Sad:

Back