• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's finally happened. RIP my Beloved PlayStation 3

Beefy

Life President
Its finally happened. RIP my Beloved PlayStation 3

Lads.... HOLD ME!

My PS3 just died. Started a game of FIFA and it froze, then the red light started blinking then turned off and now it's having none of it.

I'm gutted. It's a launch 60GB model so I knew it was only a matter of time but I didn't want to trade the old girl in because I don't like the look of the Slim. Plus I'd miss backwards compatibility.

****! I'm not going to be able to play MGS3 again!

:sad:

Right, I need some advice. Is there realistically a way I can get the disc out? I don't mind paying for a new machine (well, I do, but....) but I object on principle to re-buying the disc which is inside my dead sexy black games machine.

Also is there any way of salvaging anything on the HDD? I'm presuming not but I'm just annoyed I've lost all my save games, my FIFA Pro, etc.

I'm just glad I got to 100% in Red Dead Redemption a couple of days ago. And I guess I know what I'm going to spend a bit chunk of my Moshni winnings on.

Last edited:
Lads.... HOLD ME!

My PS3 just died. Started a game of FIFA and it froze, then the red light started blinking then turned off and now it's having none of it.

I'm gutted. It's a launch 60GB model so I knew it was only a matter of time but I didn't want to trade the old girl in because I don't like the look of the Slim. Plus I'd miss backwards compatibility.

****! I'm not going to be able to play MGS3 again!

Right, I need some advice. Is there realistically a way I can get the disc out? I don't mind paying for a new machine (well, I do, but....) but I object on principle to re-buying the disc which is inside my dead sexy black games machine.

Also is there any way of salvaging anything on the HDD? I'm presuming not but I'm just annoyed I've lost all my save games, my FIFA Pro, etc.

I'm just glad I got to 100% in Red Dead Redemption a couple of days ago. And I guess I know what I'm going to spend a bit chunk of my Moshni winnings on.

if your gonna buy a new one anyway, delicately take it apart with a screwdriver untill you get to the disk reader bit

This happened to me and there is a way mate, im not sure how they came up with this, but it worked wonders for me.

Basically this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlb9wN4ba8Y

You are then able to get the disc out, get all the data from PS onto a usb and back it up to your profile, and I even was able to trade it in at game and got store credit (around 100) which I used towards a new one. Avoid buying a first gen PS as I reckon most of the second hand ones will be the result of what I managed.

Good luck fella

I'd heard about that fix. I'll give that a go, although I won't trade it in.

I might bury it in the garden instead....

Oh a PS3 going wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PS3 gay boys are a bit quiet today

nonces I must stop using this word as I obviously do not know what it means.

Same here tb - but don't see the point of paying for xbox when it's free on ps3 - not really a gamer though...

This isn't very helpful guys :sad:

I can't blame TrueBlue for gloating though... every time one of my mates' Gayboxes died I used to take the ****. Karma is a bitch.

Last edited:
Given your win, courtesy of Bilel Mohsni, I don't think you're in any position to grumble :winking:

As for getting the disc out, if you're not planning to resell the PS3 then you could always attempt at dismantling the bugger. Failing that, ask one of those sweaty, abrupt kids in Game.

Yeah if it had to happen it happened at the perfect time. The day after the Moshni windfall and the day before I go back to the UK where PS3s are far cheaper than they are in Ireland.

Yeah I shall with all of the 10 Million plus people on it more then PS3

Anyway I own both!

Oh **** off nonce!

Look, we can have the PS3 v Xbox debate all day long.

More Xbox consoles die than PS3's. Fact
Xbox consoles are cheaper than PS3 because they are inferior pieces of technology. Fact
Does the Xbox have Blu-Ray technology? No
What is the future of gaming? I believe Multi-Layer Blu-Ray with it's 50GB+ limits is the only way to go for now.
There are more Xbox owners than PS3 simply because of the price. If PS3 and Xbox launched at the same time and same price, I would bet that there would be more PS3 consoles than Xbox.

Microsoft obviously are sticking with DVD's for now. Which is already causing issues with some games makers. But, I think they believe they can take over the world with online streaming of games, with no need for discs. I disagree. The broadband infastructure is nowhere near ready for that globally. Don't get me wrong, I think that is the future, but that future is a long, long way away. I think we would need to see most of the world on 50/100MB broadband to make that a success. I think I will die before that ever happens.

The good old DVD will not be able to cope soon. So that leaves Microsoft with a problem. They either do a deal with Sony for the Blu-Ray license (no chance!). They either develop the technology themselves. Or they go hell for leather on their plan for online domination.

Either way, the Xbox is going to get left behind soon, unless they develop some amazing new technology. This is the price Xbox owners will pay, for IMO purchasing a games machine, that quite clearly is not capable of moving along with the times. The PS3 could go on for a decade at least with it's technology. The Xbox?....I think the vultures are already swooping to be honest.

Last edited:
I bought a 'Slim' PS3 at the weekend to replace my dead one. I really don't like it though, lads. It's a horrible design, it looks cheap, it's not got enough USB ports, it won't play my PS2 games, it suffers from that 'microfreeze' problem during FIFA online and it's got bloody buttons to turn it on and eject discs.

On the upside I'm going to play around with the Move this evening. That could be fun.

If it is dead, then you can take it apart as they will possibly only sell it as spare parts.

On the Xbox vs PS3 debate, both consoles are inferior to the SEGA Master System. End of :).

Back