• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Its good to be back in blighty!

They have a preview of the new Woody Allen film coming in the near future.

Winkle - sorry to hear you didn't enjoy either of Glasgow or Liverpool... you obviously didn't go to the best parts since both are absolutely fantastic cities IMHO. Had my stag-do in Liverpool, and had a superb time. It's a great city. The Mrs. is from Glasgow and, while it has some terrible parts (e.g. Castlemilk, Govan) and suffers from sh*te weather, it's in general a vibrant city full of some very friendly folk and some beautiful buildings. Give me Glasgow over some of the dull-as-sh*te towns we have in the South (e.g. Swindon, Slough, Ipswich) any day.

The worst towns I've had the misfortune of visiting in the UK include:

Grimsby
Darlington
Gillingham
Corby
Luton

Those are the five which leap to mind above all others. Grimsby is especially aptly named, it seems to me...

:thump:

Last edited:
R O Ireland... and the gold white and green part of glasgow...also china, not forgetting Ireland...

Hartlepool.
Luton/Bedford.
Bradford.
Dudley.
90 per cent of South East London and the Kent Medway Towns.

Not in that order but they are all ****hole areas.

Hartlepool.
Luton/Bedford.
Bradford.
Dudley.

Not in that order but they are all ****hole areas.

Good call. How could I forget that place! I went out with somebody from Forest Hill for 4 years. Even the muggers were too scared to go out on their own!!

Good call. How could I forget that place! I went out with somebody from Forest Hill for 4 years. Even the muggers were too scared to go out on their own!!
Woah... as a SE London resident, I'll have to beg to differ!

* 90% is way over the mark. I'll not quibble with the fact that parts of SE London are absolute sh*tholes. Those that jump to mind include Belvedere, Erith, Thamesmead, Welling, Kidbrooke, New Cross, Bermondsey, Peckham, Catford, Nunhead, most of Deptford, most of Surrey Quays, parts of Woolwich, parts of Plumstead, parts of Lewisham...

Hmm. I make that about 70%.

:eek: :minger: :hilarious:

Seriously, though, there are some nice bits of SE London - Greenwich, Blackheath, Dulwich, Brockley, Honor Oak, Crystal Palace, Herne Hill... and Forest Hill. It's obviously a while since you've been there, Bigshrimp - but places like the Horniman Museum and the advent of the East London Line extension mean that Forest Hill has really come up in the world in the last few years. If it weren't for the fact that Forest Hill is reknowned for being the subsidence capital of SE London, property prices would have rocketed in that area.

As with almost all of London, whether somewhere is nice or not changes rapidly - both in distance and time. You can go from a nice street to a skeggy street in the matter of a few yards, while a crap area can become very pleasant in the space of just a few years. My sister used to live in Clapham in 1990, and it was rough and dangerous. Now, you can't move for BMWs and yummy mummies.

Basically, don't write SE London off entirely. It has some bloody rough bits - I was shocked at some of the sink estates around Belvedere in particular, when I last went there I thought I'd been teleported to Bucharest c. 1970 - but it's not all bad.

Matt

Woah... as a SE London resident, I'll have to beg to differ!

* 90% is way over the mark. I'll not quibble with the fact that parts of SE London are absolute sh*tholes. Those that jump to mind include Belvedere, Erith, Thamesmead, Welling, Kidbrooke, New Cross, Bermondsey, Peckham, Catford, Nunhead, most of Deptford, most of Surrey Quays, parts of Woolwich, parts of Plumstead, parts of Lewisham...

Hmm. I make that about 70%.

:eek: :minger: :hilarious:

Seriously, though, there are some nice bits of SE London - Greenwich, Blackheath, Dulwich, Brockley, Honor Oak, Crystal Palace, Herne Hill... and Forest Hill. It's obviously a while since you've been there, Bigshrimp - but places like the Horniman Museum and the advent of the East London Line extension mean that Forest Hill has really come up in the world in the last few years. If it weren't for the fact that Forest Hill is reknowned for being the subsidence capital of SE London, property prices would have rocketed in that area.

As with almost all of London, whether somewhere is nice or not changes rapidly - both in distance and time. You can go from a nice street to a skeggy street in the matter of a few yards, while a crap area can become very pleasant in the space of just a few years. My sister used to live in Clapham in 1990, and it was rough and dangerous. Now, you can't move for BMWs and yummy mummies.

Basically, don't write SE London off entirely. It has some bloody rough bits - I was shocked at some of the sink estates around Belvedere in particular, when I last went there I thought I'd been teleported to Bucharest c. 1970 - but it's not all bad.

Matt

A very well put argument there Matthew, but whenever I'm south of the river I tend to feel very ill at ease. I know there's dodgy areas there too but give me Norf London any day (probably relates to my time at uni in Hertfordshire where we'd often head down for nights out in Camden, Kentish Town, Islington & Canonbury)!

A very well put argument there Matthew, but whenever I'm south of the river I tend to feel very ill at ease. I know there's dodgy areas there too but give me Norf London any day (probably relates to my time at uni in Hertfordshire where we'd often head down for nights out in Camden, Kentish Town, Islington & Canonbury)!

I'm a north London boy too as I lived in Stoke Newington, but working for the railway at nights is "entertaining" in these areas - propositioned by drug-addled prossies, threatened by lovely hoodied children while they run amok on the WCML playing chicken with Pendolinos, not to mention the mass of syringes, some that used to get thrown out of windows onto the track onto the workers below.

In truth, the only truly "posh" bit of London is SW London - and that's full of sloanes and crashing bores in their red jeans and upturned collars. May the Good Lord spare me from them.

Apart from that, even north of the river has posh parts juxtaposed with rough parts - Islington is right next to Dalston & Hackney; Highgate has Holloway and Archway next to it; Camden is bordered by the Somerstown Estate, St. John's Wood has Kilburn...

But for me, it's the edginess, the diversity and the shiftlessness of places like Dalston that makes North, East & SE London interesting. I'd take Dalston Kingsland over Parson's Green any day of the week...

...before 11pm, that is.

:eek:

whenever I'm south of the river I tend to feel very ill at ease. I know there's dodgy areas there too but give me Norf London any day (probably relates to my time at uni in Hertfordshire...)
i.e. it's only ignorance that scares us. There's a message for the BNP if ever I've heard one.

:minger:

:hilarious:

Basildump isn't that bad...!

You obviously haven't lived on the Craylands estate. Or Felmores. Or Chalvedon. Or Five Links. Or (insert any Basildon conurbation here).

Having lived in Bas for about 35 years I actually love the town to bits - which is just as well because each weekend it gets smashed to pieces.

Stepps isn't exactly a barrel of laughs mind. North Shields isn't a beauty spot either.

Back