• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's Just like watching Southend...

Silencer

Director
...Sorry to moan but tonight was nothing short of being Dreadfull.

It reminded me of the pre-Tilson years when we were down in the doldrums of the bottom division and flirted with mid-table at best year after year.

Some of the player's are simply not good enough. Our Midfield tried to aimlessley bomb forward each time and not a single Midfielder took the game by the scruff of the neck.

We need someone in there (midfield) to collect the ball from the defence and either feed the wingers, drive on or hit the forwards (a`la Lee Sawyer). Without this vital ingredient, our defence are left with a 'hopeful hoof' forward as their only option which therefore means that our forwards are feeding on scraps!

Tilly needs to recognise this and quickly!!!

Biggest problem tonight was the lack of width after Tilly's substitutions. We simply had no ideas and either lumped it to there centre backs to mop up or the move broke down before it got to that stage. Even when Betsy did come on he kept coming inside.

I don't understand why McCormack was the one taking the ball out of defence. He's just not that sort of player. Moussa is the only player we've got who I'd trust in that role. And I don't think even Moussa knows where he was playing second half.

Tilson's Tactics

Before I start on Southend, I would like to congratulate Crewe's manager for coming down here with a good game plan and carrying it out very well

HOWEVER

I cannot understand why, when Crewe are playing 5 at the back, it takes 87 minutes for Tilson to bring on a winger. It was plain obvious within about 15 minutes that the only place we were going to have any joy was down the wings.

I would also question his general team selection. We are playing at home i.e. should be dictating the game and yet our midfield is made up of a full back and three defensive minded midfielders? Not to mention having a slow centre half at left back. Talk about round pegs in square holes

I know people are going to come back at me and say that it worked on Saturday but did it?? As far as i can remember, we created very little and were extremely fortunate in my eyes to come out with a three points against a woeful Tranmere side.

Anyway, all I can say is that i just hope that Tillys tactics are a lot better on Saturday as we will get well beaten at Col U and that would be too much to bear!

The biggest puzzle of the night for me was the fact that Crewe, who were playing the very definition of counter attack football, completely snuffed out our attack through the centre of the park, and yet we decided against using two out and out wingers when that is what the game was crying out for.

The lack of creativity in our midfield has been well documented by myself and everyone else, so you have to use other routes, and the only way we were going to score tonight was by getting the ball out wide and getting round the back of them. We didn't do that at all during the 90 minutes, and the lack of width tonight was startling.

Throwing centre forwards at the problem when there is still no supply line won't solve the problem - IMO Betsy AND Scannell should have been on, and on early, in place of Francis and Moussa to give ourselves a chance.

I cannot complain about effort or endeavour. I can and will suggest that the team seem to have very little clue. I appreciate this is down to the tactics they are forced to adopt and whatever restrictions their personal level of ability dictates but yet again I could not recognise one footballing brain ( I lie, i dont think Dervitte could do more) in the side. Odd though because there are a number of players that I and all of us have witnessed play blinders in previous seasons and against all level of opposition. To be honest it all just looks stale. I am beginning to feel that the motivation is not what it was and unfortunately I am pointing the finger at Tilson. Sorry if I upset anyone but I believe it is time for ST to move over for a new face and in that I do not mean Brushy. PB would be like when Brown took over from Blair. No thanks. Ask yourself this, if ST were to take a months gardening leave now, do you think the results would be any worse than tonight? Almost anyone in professional football management would be able to tread water with the side and prevent relegation this season, which is no more than we are going to get from Tilly. Look at the side, does anyone really feel that there is a cohesive nucleus to give us future hope next season? Sorry but I feel we are in the proverbial rut. Believe it or not but I have always been an ardent Tilly supporter and I am disappointed to be thinking this way but I believe its reality.
Up the Blues.

Before I start on Southend, I would like to congratulate Crewe's manager for coming down here with a good game plan and carrying it out very well

HOWEVER

I cannot understand why, when Crewe are playing 5 at the back, it takes 87 minutes for Tilson to bring on a winger. It was plain obvious within about 15 minutes that the only place we were going to have any joy was down the wings.

I would also question his general team selection. We are playing at home i.e. should be dictating the game and yet our midfield is made up of a full back and three defensive minded midfielders? Not to mention having a slow centre half at left back. Talk about round pegs in square holes

I know people are going to come back at me and say that it worked on Saturday but did it?? As far as i can remember, we created very little and were extremely fortunate in my eyes to come out with a three points against a woeful Tranmere side.

Anyway, all I can say is that i just hope that Tillys tactics are a lot better on Saturday as we will get well beaten at Col U and that would be too much to bear!

Sadly, these are the best options available to Tilson right now.

Well as far as I can see, all his problems are of his own making. Its not as if we have got injuries in those positions anymore
and Im sorry, but when you are playing a team 15 points behind you, and 8 adrift of safety, you should expect much MUCH better, particularly with the derby match round the corner...I fear for our pride at Cull Ewe on that shambolic showing.

his post match interview was pathetic .. offered no solutions, only relating how what Crewe did to us, was what we did at Chelsea..

We were clueless tonight and i agree the tactics were dreadful.. the team isnt balanced, it wasnt balanced against Tranmere either. Work to be done

Well as far as I can see, all the problems are of his own making. Its not as if we have got injuries in those positions anymore

True. But for whatever reason, be it his lack of ability in the transfer window, degree of backing from the chairman, players will to come to the club, we have what we have.

I personally believe Tilson is working with his weakest squad.

Ask yourself this, if ST were to take a months gardening leave now, do you think the results would be any worse than tonight?

No. But I don't think in five years time we'll be doing better under anyone else than we would under Tilson.

Getting rid of the manager may well provide a short-term boost but I'd hope that the Club would be looking more long-term than that. Particularly as the season is dead already.

Very true mate, but dont you have to have wingers to give the ball to?

We had two wingers on the bench , but tilly prefers a central midfielder and a defender out wide. What does that say about betsy's and scannells prospects.

It was quite clear after about 20 mins that the tactics were not working , but as per usual its left until the 85th odd minute before making a sub.

It seems that if plan A doesnt work there plan b involves waiting until the game is out of sight or near on over before making subs.

That game tonight was indeed remaniscent of the old days in a lot of ways and i have noticed that crowds have started to dwindle already.

Why has ron martin not allowed tilly to go into the markey and sign top quality players with the 6-700k we made on player sales at the start of the season or the reported 800k chelsea money.

We are lead to belive that it is because we are in the midst of building a new stadium, but lets get real here. The stadium will not be built for atleast 18months and we need like 80 million , so what difference is say 600k going to make in the grand scale of things?

Loss of revenue in poorer attendances and missing the play-offs/promotion has to cost more than that.

Overall i think the time has come for answers because if we keep playing like that then the fan base that ron martin has worked so hard to achieve will dwindle as quickly as it was gained.​

It doesn't matter what tactics you play if the players aren't good enough.

Tell me hand on heart that the team we put out there tonight was worse than Crewe.....on the performance yes, but on paper, and in reality we were 15 points better than them before the start of the night, playing with an unsettled differing group of loanees all season.

Lack of Creativity

When is Tilson going to realise that it doesnt matter how good your strikers are if you have no creative players in your midfield. This has to be the least creative side we have had for quite a number of years, we had three defensive midfielders and a fullback in midfield tonight as far as im concerned and we just cannot break teams down. Another problem is that when you are a side that likes to pass the ball you need to make the pitch as big as possible and that means genuine wide men who hug the touchline (like Gower used to) but we just dont have that with players playing out of position. We can bring in as many strikers as we want but until we get some real creative quality in midfield its going to carry on being very frustrating!

I cannot complain about effort or endeavour. I can and will suggest that the team seem to have very little clue. I appreciate this is down to the tactics they are forced to adopt and whatever restrictions their personal level of ability dictates but yet again I could not recognise one footballing brain ( I lie, i dont think Dervitte could do more) in the side. Odd though because there are a number of players that I and all of us have witnessed play blinders in previous seasons and against all level of opposition. To be honest it all just looks stale. I am beginning to feel that the motivation is not what it was and unfortunately I am pointing the finger at Tilson. Sorry if I upset anyone but I believe it is time for ST to move over for a new face and in that I do not mean Brushy. PB would be like when Brown took over from Blair. No thanks. Ask yourself this, if ST were to take a months gardening leave now, do you think the results would be any worse than tonight? Almost anyone in professional football management would be able to tread water with the side and prevent relegation this season, which is no more than we are going to get from Tilly. Look at the side, does anyone really feel that there is a cohesive nucleus to give us future hope next season? Sorry but I feel we are in the proverbial rut. Believe it or not but I have always been an ardent Tilly supporter and I am disappointed to be thinking this way but I believe its reality.
Up the Blues.

He had a shocker tonight !! Late to every ball.. Looked sluggish and seemed to wait for ball to bounce everytime it came near him. In fairness no worse than many others, but shocked by your statement.

OK Tilson seems to have run out of ideas, but then to be fair Scannell and Betsy have let him down most weeks when we have used them (I know Scannell hasnt had much of a run, but when has he ever repaid the manager with a performance).. We were screaming out for width, and I play on the wing, but that doesnt mean I am going to get on.

and Im sorry, but when you are playing a team 15 points behind you, and 8 adrift of safety, you should expect much MUCH better, particularly with the derby match round the corner...I fear for our pride at Cull Ewe on that shambolic showing.

I honestly don't think tonights performance, or result, will have any bearing what so ever on what goes on at Colchester on Saturday - it's a derby game, and form will not apply.

I dont think Tilly is in any danger of losing his job, BUT if he does get a few new faces in over the summer and we are still mid table or worse, i wouldnt be surprised if Ron decided enough was enough and made a change.

Back