• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's just (not) Cricket

When i was living downunder,1985,the tv prog that was in was "Bodyline" ?
We done the same , rules are rules...looked it up on "Youtube" ,the series a while back,like me, it has aged

Think the rule needs to be changed. The bowler had both feet past the crease (then turned back to the stumps) so no great surprise the batter moved down the wicket thinking the ball had actually been bowled. If the bowler had pulled up inside the crease and then stumped her then that’s a quite different scenario. Even then it’s usual for a bowler to warn a batter before attempting a stumping / Mankad. Maybe it should have been a Womankad…..or Personkad?

It is within the laws so therefore it is out.

Unfortunately, at the top level, and increasingly at all levels of the game, sportsmanship and 'playing the game' has/is been superseded by strict adherence to the letter of the laws.

It has been within the laws for as long as I can remember but it was always deemed to be 'gentlemanly' to give the non-striking bat a warning first if it was felt liberties were being taken.
Personally, I always tried to time my backing up to coincide with my bat just leaving the crease at the moment the bowler planted his front foot on the basis that most bowlers would find it difficult to stop in their delivery stride at that point and once their arm has gone over their shoulder then the hand must pass through the point of normal release. On this occasion the bat was pretty much following my theory but got caught out... If the bowlers arm had gone over then it would have been not out and a dead ball, such are the margins.

It is legit, it is within the laws, it is out...

You can't really argue this one when we won the World Cup against New Zealand by the rarely occurring use of the law of a ball hitting the batter or the bat being held then remaining 'live' and going to the boundary for four overthrown runs.
Cricket is that sort of game, strange and unusual things happen at the most crucial times on occasion...

It is within the laws so therefore it is out.

Unfortunately, at the top level, and increasingly at all levels of the game, sportsmanship and 'playing the game' has/is been superseded by strict adherence to the letter of the laws.

It has been within the laws for as long as I can remember but it was always deemed to be 'gentlemanly' to give the non-striking bat a warning first if it was felt liberties were being taken.
Personally, I always tried to time my backing up to coincide with my bat just leaving the crease at the moment the bowler planted his front foot on the basis that most bowlers would find it difficult to stop in their delivery stride at that point and once their arm has gone over their shoulder then the hand must pass through the point of normal release. On this occasion the bat was pretty much following my theory but got caught out... If the bowlers arm had gone over then it would have been not out and a dead ball, such are the margins.

It is legit, it is within the laws, it is out...

You can't really argue this one when we won the World Cup against New Zealand by the rarely occurring use of the law of a ball hitting the batter or the bat being held then remaining 'live' and going to the boundary for four overthrown runs.
Cricket is that sort of game, strange and unusual things happen at the most crucial times on occasion...
The difference with this one though is she was not gaining an advantage. If the ball had been bowled she would have been in the crease.

Does seem it’s in the laws but think something needs to change. Doesn’t seem right to me. She fake bowled so the batter left her crease.

Try that on a Saturday afternoon all hell would break loose and every chance you have a bat around your head.

Disgusting, and typical. The saying, It's just not cricket, comes from Unsportsmanlike, unfair and dishonourable. Hope you're proud India.
Imagine if it was the other way and Kohli was run out? be a different story then!

As a lot have said, it is well within the rules. A warning would have been nice, but again rules are rules.

If you leave the crease when you naturally expect the ball to leave the bowlers hand you're at a huge risk of a premediated mankad. As a batter, eyes on the ball now until you're 100% sure its left the bowlers hand.

Nothing wrong with the Rule.
If you are bowling and non striker continuously moved out of crease before ball released I used to give him a warning by doing exactly this but not taking the bails off. That usually did the trick.
Non striker was cheating not the bowler.

????@RobM, none of those things are within the laws of football, simulation is very often a yellow card, repeated time wasting the same, and feigning injury is common but not something ant but harsh official can have full control over.

????@RobM, none of those things are within the laws of football, simulation is very often a yellow card, repeated time wasting the same, and feigning injury is common but not something ant but harsh official can have full control over.
Oh - so taking the ball into the corner is a foul? No?

Taking the ball into the corner is a tactic to run down time , kicking a dead ball away like Gus got his second yellow for is time wasting. Very different ploys and seeking similar "gains", one legal, other not.

Taking the ball into the corner is legal time-wasting - as we all know.
Kicking the ball away is dissent, not time wasting as it's added on.

Back