• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
When the final whistle went yesterday my mood was oh so disappointed and angry. Oxford had done us a huge favour and yet again we still didn't take the opportunity to capitalise on Millwall's **** up. My mood didn't really lighten all Saturday evening and reading on SZ about 'bottled it' and Smoke flares' didn't help at all.

They say that if you get your feelings down on paper (electronic obviously) then it helps you understand those feelings better so I've sort of done that this morning and did it help? Sort of. I don't feel angry now, the disappointment is still hanging around but not as badly as yesterday as I keep imagining what it must be like on the Millwall board at the moment and that cheered me up a bit. I'm a long time optimist and whilst I try to control it, I can't help thinking where there's life there's hope. For all of our loss of points over the last few games we go into the Bury match still with the chance to make the play-offs. Just how unreal is that given our poor start and attempts to **** it all up at the death.

I have absolutely no idea what next Sunday will bring, nor what Southend team will turn up, physically or mentally. What I do know is that we'll be there in the West Stand giving it large on the bravado front before the game, living every painful/joyous moment during the game..........and the rest will have to wait I guess. This has been a bit of a ramble but I do feel better for it, and guess what...........I'm really looking forward to next Sunday............how about you?

IF we get in the playoffs it will just be postponing the end of the season. I can't see us going up as I don't think we'd cope against Fleetwood/Bolton, Bradford or Scunthorpe in the playoffs on the evidence of the last 4/5 games (Chesterfield was a blip in my opinion and if we got one goal against them we were bound to get a few more)

A decent performance next week is all I ask.

A small part of me doesn't want us to get into the play-offs now, firstly because I don't think either us or Millwall deserve it after the last two results, and secondly because I think we'd get found out and I'd rather not go through the anguish of losing in the play-offs.

I still feel totally gutted after getting so excited seeing Millwalls result, then gradually the day went down hill and you know its just going to be one of the days where nothing goes right. A bizarre quiz night where you couldnt hear a thing finished me off. Ah well, chin up and on we go

looking forward to the last game. Could be exciting. TBH when we were second bottom (weren't we actually bottom at one time) then finishing seventh is remarkable. And as Millwall seem as anxious as us not to go up anything could happen. That's football and what makes it the greatest game on earth.

Its not over yet, tbh if we do get into the play-offs I would have zero confidence of winning them. We would have taken being in this position after 12 games so a bit of perspective doesn't go amiss.

Glad you started this thread.

I'm up for it next Sunday. On the morning after I'm no longer deflated, instead just grateful we still have a chance.

I wasn't there in person yesterday - instead SS Junior and I had a very odd afternoon at the woeful home of Col Ewe with the Green Army, Plymouth being my Uni destination many years ago and I've maintained ever since a 'second team' support for Argyle (Southend and Plymouth - not a choice of the glory hunter). We did tho spend virtually the whole time staring at the BBC Sport App, feeling wonderful after learning about Oxford's efforts and then suffering the pain with the 1,300 as Brown did what he did for Shrewsbury. So, we didn't see first hand how woeful we were, tho from the reports and the stats it clearly wasn't good.

However, it has still been a wonderful season, full of ups and downs, that has kept us all involved and interested right up to the final game. We are what we are, a club hung with debt and existing in a cloud of doubt, but through all of that murk, the passion of the management, team and support has shone thro. Yes, there have been some let downs at times by all sides, but I do not think anyone can question the over-riding desire to succeed even if mistakes have been made. Our league position clearly shows we have had more good times than bad this year.

We should all look forward with relish to the Bury game, pack the Hall next Sunday and support the team with fervour right up to the final whistle, it is only that approach that will help the team and, who knows, with some luck on the pitch and some luck at Bristol (and maybe Rochdale), we may sneak in to the play-offs. If we do then who knows, we may not be good enough but that's immaterial for now, lets think about that if we get there.

It should be a great occasion next Sunday - I'll be posting up separately soon a reminder of the visit of what will be an emotional return for one of our old striking duos (Spence and Mercer) and lets give them and the team of today a show of belief and support that will give all a positive day to remember.

UTB

8 days to recover and get everyone pumped for the final push.

Don't forget, we've just played 6 games in 21 days with some half-fit players.

Injuries have murdered the team,but I can't help being ****ed off.:sad:

Then we have the wrong players. What you are saying is the best starting 11 are the only players that are good enough. Pointless signings like Hines and Nouble have killed our season.
When we play well it's all good, as soon as we don't play well, there is no plan B. Yesterday, the same useless tactic of pump the ball up to Ranger didn't work, thy CB had him in his pocket and Ranger won nothing. Brown made changes, brought on 2 quick wingers and swapped Ranger for Fortune but rather than use the quick wingers stuck to the same tactic of pumping the ball long to Fortune rather than last the ball wide and let the wingers stretch the play.

I think Brown had taken us as far as he can and we need fresh ideas

When the final whistle went yesterday my mood was oh so disappointed and angry. Oxford had done us a huge favour and yet again we still didn't take the opportunity to capitalise on Millwall's **** up. My mood didn't really lighten all Saturday evening and reading on SZ about 'bottled it' and Smoke flares' didn't help at all.

They say that if you get your feelings down on paper (electronic obviously) then it helps you understand those feelings better so I've sort of done that this morning and did it help? Sort of. I don't feel angry now, the disappointment is still hanging around but not as badly as yesterday as I keep imagining what it must be like on the Millwall board at the moment and that cheered me up a bit. I'm a long time optimist and whilst I try to control it, I can't help thinking where there's life there's hope. For all of our loss of points over the last few games we go into the Bury match still with the chance to make the play-offs. Just how unreal is that given our poor start and attempts to **** it all up at the death.

I have absolutely no idea what next Sunday will bring, nor what Southend team will turn up, physically or mentally. What I do know is that we'll be there in the West Stand giving it large on the bravado front before the game, living every painful/joyous moment during the game..........and the rest will have to wait I guess. This has been a bit of a ramble but I do feel better for it, and guess what...........I'm really looking forward to next Sunday............how about you?

Despite the raw disappointment of yesterday's result, I remain hopeful. Southend could still make it to the play-offs and if we do anything could happen. One of the interesting things about the play-offs it is not always the most-fancied teams that prevail in those situations.

Wouldn't it just be ironic to win comfortably next Sunday, and then find out Millwall have got an injury time winner.

Several times over the past few weeks, we have had the opportunity to pick up a point and each time we have lost by a single goal (Chesterfield excepted). As I tweeted last night, if only we had got our noses in front, either against Bolton, Charlton, MK or yesterday who knows we could have gone on to win/draw and then it would have been in our hands.

Lets hope Bristol Rovers play the way they played against us.........and not the way they played yesterday!

Then we have the wrong players. What you are saying is the best starting 11 are the only players that are good enough. Pointless signings like Hines and Nouble have killed our season.
When we play well it's all good, as soon as we don't play well, there is no plan B. Yesterday, the same useless tactic of pump the ball up to Ranger didn't work, thy CB had him in his pocket and Ranger won nothing. Brown made changes, brought on 2 quick wingers and swapped Ranger for Fortune but rather than use the quick wingers stuck to the same tactic of pumping the ball long to Fortune rather than last the ball wide and let the wingers stretch the play.

I think Brown had taken us as far as he can and we need fresh ideas

All valid points Webby as always but probably more suited to the Match reports thread? I was more interested in how you feel this morning. Go on, get in touch with your inner self and share your feelings. you know you want to.:winking:

59 years of up and downs for me, and , in truth upon reflection, don't think we would cope with either play offs or the Championship at present. That will not stop me being there next Sunday and roaring them on. Here's another cliche....hope springs eternal. COYBB

So to add just a little bit of perspective here...

Me and my mates had the whole trip planned for months. We did at at Exeter a couple of years back and would have done Wigan last year (the last away game) but we weren't in the race for anything and well, it was Wigan.

My 82 year old Mum has been suffering with a slipped disc and other various ailments - the normal stuff as you get old - but last week (10 days ago) she had what was a suspected stroke, that turned out to be several suspected mini strokes (TIAs) but then it wasn't that either so they weren't really sure what was going on. Then on Wednesday, weird blood spots started appearing on her arm and lips and her nose started to bleed. Off to the doctor, he thought it was a reaction to the aspirin she had been given (quite a large dose apparently - 300g) in conjunction with her other meds but she'd only had it once and that was two days prior, so she stopped that and he said it should be fine. I explained I was due to be away and he said no problem, it should be fine for a few days.

Anyhow, the trip was touch and go for me but at her insistence mainly I set off for the weekend on Friday morning, due back this afternoon (Sunday), keeping in touch by phone.

Well she wasn't ok, the blood spots kept coming and spreading, the nosebleeds became worse and no-one knew what was going on. Thank heavens for my other half who was here, getting her into hospital Saturday morning and as soon as the Doctor laid eyes on her, admitted her as an emergency. He did her blood test personally, said her platelet count was only 1 and he'd never seen anyone with anything that low.

So obviously back I come, leaving Shrewsbury at around 1:30 and being the only Shrimper at the railway station going the other way!

I followed the game on the train home but mainly as a distraction to be honest and whilst I was delighted that Millwall blew it and we are still in it, I can't really get all that excited to be honest and it wouldn't surprise me if both Millwall and ourselves caved in next week and Rochdale nicked it.

But, as I say, a bit of perspective for me, football isn't the be all and end all and I'm now off to the Acute Medical Unit to see how my Mum is. She had new platelets and a blood transfusion last night but they need to know where the internal bleeding is coming from.

As for next week - I'm hoping to go, subject to what happens.

So how do I feel this morning? Pretty crap.

Back