• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TMWLT

Banned
reading all the posts and watching the reactions of the boys on this board, its quite, funny, when I was about 12 or 13 I too was furious when southend sold their better players, and failed to replace them with better players, I thought as I am sure some of the 15 year olds on here did, that these players could never move, and we would have them for ever. could you imagine a defence in 2008 with a 60 year old alan moody, a 50 year paul clark and a 61 year bill garner , it would be a bit like my sunday team.

the fact is that southend will always a club that is a nearly club, our history shows that we are a average div 3 or league 1 team, which is where we are
the succession of chairman and boards and managers, have constantly conspired to get us where we are, which is uppish part of this division. new stadium or not, a team with players being bought for 25,000 or the equivilant 20 years is going to be where we are, but thats part of supporting the shrimpers. I said at the time enjoy the championship its goona a long time before we ge tback, so chill out, and plan the big days out leicester etc.

and wait till the next cycle comes along. if some of your heroes dont want play for southend , so be it, the club will be herein some form, longer than bailey and francis playing career

Top post, I'd agree with all of that.

I think there's the potential at the club and in this area to one day establish ourselves as a Championship club, but if you lok at the size of the Clubs at that level then realistically it's going to be a tall order. We've pretty much doubled our attendences in recent years but we'd need to double them again to compete in the long term and even then we'd still be one of the smaller Clubs in the CCC.

Where have the years gone? Alan Moody is never nearly 60 and he still owes me money. No chance now if he is coming up to pension.

I remember all the turmoil in years past and we came out of it then. The difference is this time we are in a much healthier position than before.

Love reading all these posts and assumptions, next thing we will hear is that the space shuttle that has landed on Mars will bring back an alien and RM will sign him!!!!!

Agree with what Beefy says.

I do think we have the potential and if/when our stadium comes then that will support that. And i think at the moment were going the right way to do that.

And unfortunatley it happens with most clubs that if there players want to move then let them move! just got to deal with it and move on! its how football works.

Good God, that's the most sensible, astute post I've ever seen from you, TMWLT! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your attempts to shatter the mental stability of the liberals as much as the next man, but this is entirely unexpected. What's happened?

Totally agree with everything, what these newer younger memebers dont realise is that we used to regularly yo-yo between the bottom two divisions and i for one am used to that scenario. I suppose that we should feel lucky that recent history has given us an incredible high for the size of the club. As previously posted we have doubled our crowds and now average 8000ish, but still in the great scheme of things thats pretty poor. I for one am happy to support my team whatever division we are in and whoever turns out for the club, and yes i was crestfallen when Derek Spence left, when richard Cadette (a payer i thought was a million pound player) went to Sheffield United for a paltry £130K !!!! but he was followed by David Crown and then Brettie Angell and then Sir Stan etc etc. So dont worry if these players leave there will always be another hero along in a minute.......

Good God, that's the most sensible, astute post I've ever seen from you, TMWLT! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your attempts to shatter the mental stability of the liberals as much as the next man, but this is entirely unexpected. What's happened?

Precisely my thoughts as well! :stunned:

Great post.

Remember crying when Dave Crown left and we got Brett Angell, Sammy had his day and we replaced him with Royce, Dean Austis went and we got..........Mark Hone......Well dosent always work but as TMWLT says new people come.

I think its just more of a shock now as so many of them seem to be looking to go at the same time.

People will always come and go, that's the nature of the beast that is our great passion. This applies to supporters as well as players, there may be some of us who have supported the club through thick and thin over the years, but there are hundreds that have come and gone in that time also.

Good, common sense posts on this thread.

reading all the posts and watching the reactions of the boys on this board, its quite, funny, when I was about 12 or 13 I too was furious when southend sold their better players, and failed to replace them with better players, I thought as I am sure some of the 15 year olds on here did, that these players could never move, and we would have them for ever. could you imagine a defence in 2008 with a 60 year old alan moody, a 50 year paul clark and a 61 year bill garner , it would be a bit like my sunday team.

the fact is that southend will always a club that is a nearly club, our history shows that we are a average div 3 or league 1 team, which is where we are
the succession of chairman and boards and managers, have constantly conspired to get us where we are, which is uppish part of this division. new stadium or not, a team with players being bought for 25,000 or the equivilant 20 years is going to be where we are, but thats part of supporting the shrimpers. I said at the time enjoy the championship its goona a long time before we ge tback, so chill out, and plan the big days out leicester etc.

and wait till the next cycle comes along. if some of your heroes dont want play for southend , so be it, the club will be herein some form, longer than bailey and francis playing career

At last a bit of common sense and I echo the other responses. Players (and the Board) will all come and go but only one body remains - the fans. We will all turn up at the start of the season with optimism, moan about this and that, exactly the same as fans around the country. It's our team and we will always hope for the best, fear the worst but turn up week in week out.

Agreed for a brief moment there I thought he had been abducted by aliens. But as others have said it is pretty much spot on. We have generally developed players and sold them on at a profit, it's the nature of finances at this level.

It is hope that the new stadium will give us the impetus to move to the next level which is establishing the club in the Championship. I've said it often enough that our yardstick should be Reading a club we always played at this level (or lower) until John Madejski moved them forward. I hope that the plans that Ron Martin has put forward will help us move forward.

**** me I totally agree Slip...Has he had a brain transplant?

Top most TMWLT ...for once.

Well I don't. Yes, TMWLTF has posted a lot of sense, and we will for now be forced eventually to sell our best young players, but snuck into the middle is:

the fact is that southend will always a club that is a nearly club, our history shows that we are a average div 3 or league 1 team

And that is defeatist nonsense. If that was the case, then we would still be playing Reading twice a season, and Wigan would be happy in the BSP. I firmly believe that Ron Martin intends to move us up a level and establish us there, and that he has the business and management skills to do it, and that this area is capable of supporting such a team.

B****r me, Ron takes a stance that (IMHO) PROVES his ambition for the club, and suddenly "we ain't never going to amount to anything?" Start to think like that, and you take away our dreams, and while I will always support SUFC, come Hell or Ryman League, a significant part of that is the ability to dream - and I am not going to accept TMWLT or anyone telling me not to bother!

Going forward, bit by bit, with Ron, Tilly and Brush!

I think the important thing to remember is that history shows that we are a Div 3 club so dreaming of becoming a Reading or a Wigan is fine and i imagine most fans do, expecting to do that is a whole different matter and I think some of the younger fans do expect that.

I do agree though with your comment at the bottom, I think bit by bit we will get there.

I think the important thing to remember is that history shows that we are a Div 3 club so dreaming of becoming a Reading or a Wigan is fine and i imagine most fans do, expecting to do that is a whole different matter and I think some of the younger fans do expect that.

I do agree though with your comment at the bottom, I think bit by bit we will get there.

History shows that up till now we have been a division three club. But that isn't set in stone. And yes, when you show ambition then you raise expectations, and that can bring it's own problems - but that isn't a reason not to be ambitious.

And that is defeatist nonsense. If that was the case, then we would still be playing Reading twice a season, and Wigan would be happy in the BSP.

Yes but for every Reading and Wigan there is a Newport County, Aldershot, Maidstone and lots of others that have gone to the wall.

Plus Wigan are backed by the owner of JJB Sports, a multi multi millionaire. Reading are bakced by John Madjeski who is another multi millionaire. Ron may have a couple of quid stuffed under the matress but he is nowhere near the funds of the other two.

Yes but for every Reading and Wigan there is a Newport County, Aldershot, Maidstone and lots of others that have gone to the wall.

Plus Wigan are backed by the owner of JJB Sports, a multi multi millionaire. Reading are bakced by John Madjeski who is another multi millionaire. Ron may have a couple of quid stuffed under the matress but he is nowhere near the funds of the other two.

Yes, they had financial help - mind you I thought that was what FF was all about, generating a better income stream, but you miss my point. If you rely on History, then what is the point of promotion or relegation? just know your place and stay there.

And at the moment I would suggest that we are significantly better run than any of the clubs mentioned, and that is why we have not only the right to dream but also some small glimmering of hope that one day our dreams will be realised.

I sure as hell believe that Ron has this dream.

I just want to echo what plenty of others have said

Come on Dave ... where's the fishing, the casual racism, the downright abusiveness of your usual posts ???

We want the old TMWLTs back !!!!!!

Only kidding mate ... top top post, and absolutely spot on !!!! :clap: :clap:

I just want to echo what plenty of others have said

Come on Dave ... where's the fishing, the casual racism, the downright abusiveness of your usual posts ???

We want the old TMWLTs back !!!!!!

Only kidding mate ... top top post, and absolutely spot on !!!! :clap: :clap:

The fishing is in the bit where he casually condems us to perpetual third division nobodies. I am frankly amazed that everyone is just going "oh yer, that's right, should have realised". Well I am happy to take the bait. He is wrong about that, IMHO, and I think our Chairman thinks he is wrong about that. It may take time, but I firmly believe that we are a club on (mainly) the up.

I think there's the potential at the club and in this area to one day establish ourselves as a Championship club, but if you lok at the size of the Clubs at that level then realistically it's going to be a tall order. We've pretty much doubled our attendences in recent years but we'd need to double them again to compete in the long term and even then we'd still be one of the smaller Clubs in the CCC.

Agree 100%...Fingers crossed aye? :)

:support:

Back