• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's the goalkeeper that is causing all the chaos!

Some of you need to look at the Wimbledon vlog. Then you will see why the 4th goal was never down to the keeper.

I agree that Oxley is at best an average keeper, poor goal kicking, 3 times on Sat they ended up going off for a throw, too slow to release the ball too. But, he still made 3 or 4 top saves, totally let down by the defence in front of him once again.

Had he made a save instead of making a mess of the first goal, he may not have needed to make another save. Woeful goalkeeping that should be a bread and butter save from that angle. Cost us dearly

Oxley is far from our only problem. He does not however dominate his box. He is prone to staying on his line and indeed flaps at all aerial balls. His failings are exposed by a very poor defence.

Criticise both goalkeeper's by all means but doesn't goalkeeping coach Lee Harrison deserve to take some of the blame as well?

Criticise both goalkeeper's by all means but doesn't goalkeeping coach Lee Harrison deserve to take some of the blame as well?

Its not Harrisons fault because Lennon and Kiernan didn't make a decent header to clear the ball properly in the first place. Its not his fault they were not marking tight enough, or never made a tackle or block in to stop the shot.

He is responsible for the likes of Harry Seadan. PL scouts are very interested in him....So its not all bad.

Don’t we have historical and ongoing International recognition for our goalkeepers under Lee Harrison?

A team wins together or loses together. Criticism of Oxley is Wiggy's prerogative, but to suggest that just one player is responsible for all the chaos is pushing the limits of credibility.

Just watching Bulgaria and was thinking how much they remind me of Southend ...no pressure on the man on the ball, sliced through easily, shipping goals....then it occurred to me where our coach was from ! There my friends lies the problem !! :ROFL:

Some of you aren't being honest with yourselves. You only have to look at old clips to see how many basic mistakes the likes of Sammy made.

After a shaky start, including being blamed for goals that were never his fault and some fans praying he would fail because he was a PB signing. Oxley could have won POTY in his first season. He only conceded 5 goals in his last 10 league games in 2016. We would have made the playoffs had he not been injured.

If it wasn't for the Ox, we could have had a Dick Bate of at score at Gills. 3 good saves in the first 5/6 minutes and gets the credit for not just saving a pen but also for the one they missed.

Bond made a huge mistake in dropping Oxley for the Lincoln game and it done no favours for either keeper.

Rose tinted Rigsby. The bloke can’t catch a cold. He flaps continuously and isn’t brave. Good shot stopper no question. I struggle to understand how you can’t see this given how insightful you can be on other things which seem to suit your agenda more.

Its not Harrisons fault because Lennon and Kiernan didn't make a decent header to clear the ball properly in the first place. Its not his fault they were not marking tight enough, or never made a tackle or block in to stop the shot.

He is responsible for the likes of Harry Seadan. PL scouts are very interested in him....So its not all bad.

Spot on re Lennon and Kiernan but he still should have done better with at least two of the goals and in particular the game changing first.

Bishop was first choice GK at around the end of Aug and we shipped 9 in 3 games than I think, this is more than just a GK problem

Spot on re Lennon and Kiernan but he still should have done better with at least two of the goals and in particular the game changing first.

I not claiming Oxley is blameless but you have watched enough football to know our start v Wimbledon was down to all 11 players.....Half asleep is an understatement

Its a team game and the team concede the goals. Far to many watch 10 seconds of Highlights and look for a scapegoat. We never even challenged the clearance up the pitch because we looked like the away side at the league leaders......That goal was always coming, if not then it would have been a few minutes later. For far to long now teams turn up at RH looking for a win and fully up for it......Because we are the complete opposite and we are getting what we fully deserve.

What I don’t really understand is how we make the same basic mistakes every single game. I’d love to hear some of the pre match and half time team talks, to see what this lot are told before they cross the white line. What’s struck me most this season is the lack of pressing, defending as a unit .. the inability to clear the danger, get tackles in, hoof it into row Z if necessary. We’ve given teams time and space to pick out players and basically pass the ball into the net. I’d be interested to see what instruction they’re given.

Yes Oxley has his faults of which we are abundantly aware but he’s been offered no protection at all.. and his frustration with the so called defenders is evident.

Last edited:
Maybe if one of our defenders had done their job then OBL's hair net would not be needed.

Besides, Wimbledon had the sense to shoot low on a wet surface. Low and near the keepers ankles scores goals at the highest levels all round the world. We on the other hand chose to test the scoreboard after their Keeper couldn't hold a couple low shots.....Plus their defenders made several good blocks from goal bound efforts by the likes of Hamilton and Hutch....Our fans have forgotten what its like to see a CB block a shot.

The days of easier rose tinted goalkeeping, with a mitre multiplex following a predictable, slower path from a corner. Or sticking in a ploughed 6yd box to make more time for the save are long gone..... Sadly so are the fans who really did SUPPORT their own players.

What are you implying?

I not claiming Oxley is blameless but you have watched enough football to know our start v Wimbledon was down to all 11 players.....Half asleep is an understatement

Its a team game and the team concede the goals. Far to many watch 10 seconds of Highlights and look for a scapegoat. We never even challenged the clearance up the pitch because we looked like the away side at the league leaders......That goal was always coming, if not then it would have been a few minutes later. For far to long now teams turn up at RH looking for a win and fully up for it......Because we are the complete opposite and we are getting what we fully deserve.

Very good points and don’t disagree but..........we set up to draw the game and AFC set up to win the game.

You’re spot on that the goal was coming all the while that we were set up that way but it should not have come when it did.

Let’s face it Oxley’s not even a National League standard goalkeeper.

Back