• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's the goalkeeper that is causing all the chaos!

I also think one of Bonds biggest clangers and one which helped set the tone for things to come was to drop Oxley on the back of winning at Stevenage....

Once he’d picked Oxley for the Coventry game he’d confirmed him as his No 1. Bishop did well at Stevenage but once you’ve shown who your No 1 is you have to stick by your decision and he (Bishop) should by then have known he’d be playing in primarily cup games until things changed.

To change after 2 league games wreaked of indecision and not knowing your own mind.

My only issue with Oxley is his distribution. He doesn’t kick well and he kicks too often! That said, I think his destruction as a whole was better yesterday.

I actually think kicking is his strong point...although a bit slow. Without doubt it is his inability to command his area and also the fact that nothing sticks when he does make a save....4/10 keeper with Bishop a 3.

I remember Mel as one of the highlights of the 99/00 season..

Obviously Alan Little didn't think so, as after watching him make a couple of howlers in pre season friendly which I attended, he got in a replacement keeper for our 1st match H to Brighton.
Cant at this moment remember his name ( age?), but he was a good keeper.

I actually think kicking is his strong point...although a bit slow. Without doubt it is his inability to command his area and also the fact that nothing sticks when he does make a save....4/10 keeper with Bishop a 3.

It’s not whether he can kick it or not it’s his insistence on kicking it all the f ing time.

So you’re content with a keeper who is generally rooted to his line, parries far too many shots back into the path of onrushing forwards and doesn’t command his area?

No, I mean obviously if I had a choice I’d have Jordan Pickford but asking him to drop out the premier league and pitch himself up at Roots Hall would be taking the **** a bit.

We are Southend and we are still rooted to the bottom 2 of league 1 aren’t we? And we do still have HMRC court orders and rumours of not paying staff?

Yeah I thought so........you kind get a level to suit your level most of the time

Both goalkeepers are SHOCKINGLY bad and it’s a major, major problem. When your defence also resembles a sieve and your midfield is surely one of the worst League One has ever seen it only leads to one outcome....relegation.

But at least we have a decent manager at the helm who can sort this shambles out. Oh wait....

:Scared:
Isn’t it great the support some people give to our young players, our youth setup is excellent, shameful that some people slag them lie their a seasoned pro.

Isn’t it great the support some people give to our young players, our youth setup is excellent, shameful that some people slag them lie their a seasoned pro.

Excuse me?! If you’d read my other posts I’m in agreement that Bishop is young and can improve with age and a loan spell or two. It’s not his fault he isn’t ready - that’s a mistake that Powell and Bond made - but it doesn’t change the fact that right now there are flaws in his game that mean he shouldn’t be near a League One first team. Neither goalkeeper is good enough for this level and at Oxley’s age there is no excuse, particularly on those wages.

Obviously Alan Little didn't think so, as after watching him make a couple of howlers in pre season friendly which I attended, he got in a replacement keeper for our 1st match H to Brighton.

Andy Woodman. And a cracking keeper he was too, did a great job for us on loan.

Excuse me?! If you’d read my other posts I’m in agreement that Bishop is young and can improve with age and a loan spell or two. It’s not his fault he isn’t ready - that’s a mistake that Powell and Bond made - but it doesn’t change the fact that right now there are flaws in his game that mean he shouldn’t be near a League One first team. Neither goalkeeper is good enough for this level and at Oxley’s age there is no excuse, particularly on those wages.
If you read one of my posts yesterday it was about supporting young players from the youth system, like in the past. Calling Nathan shockingly bad is hardly helpful. It must be very difficult for our youngsters playing with some older players of questionable ability/ attitude. Most players improve with age and the support of the fans of their home club aka Dan Bentley

Are you a keeper wiggy? For as long as i can remember your always picking on the goalie

Was yes, only the bad ones.....liked Federici, Roycey, Flavs, Bentley.....didn’t like Joyce, Cumbersome, Collis, Bart, Ox.

Was yes, only the bad ones.....liked Federici, Roycey, Flavs, Bentley.....didn’t like Joyce, Cumbersome, Collis, Bart, Ox.
I would totally agree with that list. When you look at it weve been quite blessed in that position.

Its a Two way street though, keeper doesnt have confidence in the defence and vice versa makes for the perfect ****storm, and losing streaks breed fear and self doubt. Something hopefully the right manager will sort

I would totally agree with that list. When you look at it weve been quite blessed in that position.

Its a Two way street though, keeper doesnt have confidence in the defence and vice versa makes for the perfect ****storm, and losing streaks breed fear and self doubt. Something hopefully the right manager will sort

We've had a few dodgy ones as well, Steve Mildenhall was not a crowd favourite all the time or Glen Morris . I liked Steve Collis & Paul Smith. But as you say the confidence a good keeper brings to the defence is invaluable. When Federici came on loan it made such a difference. Its such a key position.

We've had a few dodgy ones as well, Steve Mildenhall was not a crowd favourite all the time or Glen Morris . I liked Steve Collis & Paul Smith. But as you say the confidence a good keeper brings to the defence is invaluable. When Federici came on loan it made such a difference. Its such a key position.

......I thought Spildy was all about image and posing at the time. Morris I liked, bit short but as he turned up for Crawley fairly recently, he looked like a keeper even though he was mid/late 30’s.....thought he was similar to Flavs when he was at Borient.
Paul Smith was similar to the Ox, scared of crosses but Federici was immense. Was pure quality, his kicking superb and you were confident he would rarely get beat. Suppose that’s why he ended up Premiershite.
As we’ve said, good keeper makes all the difference and you just know that the two we’ve got now are pretty much Scottish/Conference keepers if your being honest!

Some of you should watch the goals in L1/2 highlights. You will see every week loads of goals that the keeper 'should have done better'. Plus plenty of keepers coming for the more modern dipping and swerving type ball and ending up stranded.....When if they had stayed at home then a simple save would have stopped the goal.

Yes Oxley may tick the Dracula box but some of the wild claims on here about keepers fault are ridiculous......In fact bordering on total ignorance. Even that first goal on Saturday all started with a bad clearance that should have been a free header whilst all the blue shirts nearby never called it or wanted it.

And yes you many of you said the same about Bentley so don't try and deny it.

Some of you should watch the goals in L1/2 highlights. You will see every week loads of goals that the keeper 'should have done better'. Plus plenty of keepers coming for the more modern dipping and swerving type ball and ending up stranded.....When if they had stayed at home then a simple save would have stopped the goal.

Yes Oxley may tick the Dracula box but some of the wild claims on here about keepers fault are ridiculous......In fact bordering on total ignorance. Even that first goal on Saturday all started with a bad clearance that should have been a free header whilst all the blue shirts nearby never called it or wanted it.

And yes you many of you said the same about Bentley so don't try and deny it.

Not worried about the other overpaid, incompetent keepers in the League, he came with a dodgy reputation from Scotland and has proved time and time again for whatever reason he makes a standard rick each game whether it is staying on the line or parrying it straight out to the opposition.
OBL would have gathered that first one in her hair net so why wouldn’t an experienced professional goalkeeper....must lose concentration or something?

Not worried about the other overpaid, incompetent keepers in the League, he came with a dodgy reputation from Scotland and has proved time and time again for whatever reason he makes a standard rick each game whether it is staying on the line or parrying it straight out to the opposition.
OBL would have gathered that first one in her hair net so why wouldn’t an experienced professional goalkeeper....must lose concentration or something?

Maybe if one of our defenders had done their job then OBL's hair net would not be needed.

Besides, Wimbledon had the sense to shoot low on a wet surface. Low and near the keepers ankles scores goals at the highest levels all round the world. We on the other hand chose to test the scoreboard after their Keeper couldn't hold a couple low shots.....Plus their defenders made several good blocks from goal bound efforts by the likes of Hamilton and Hutch....Our fans have forgotten what its like to see a CB block a shot.

The days of easier rose tinted goalkeeping, with a mitre multiplex following a predictable, slower path from a corner. Or sticking in a ploughed 6yd box to make more time for the save are long gone..... Sadly so are the fans who really did SUPPORT their own players.

Check the record books~ Capleton had just got in the side when Little arrived in April 1999 taking over from Martyn Margetson - he played 40 games in 1999/2000 (Prudhoe started the other 6). Andy Woodman ( he was very good) came in on loan for the start of 2000/01 played 17 times then Webbie signed Darryl.

Capleton came on as sub for Woodman once.

Check the record books~ Capleton had just got in the side when Little arrived in April 1999 taking over from Martyn Margetson - he played 40 games in 1999/2000 (Prudhoe started the other 6). Andy Woodman ( he was very good) came in on loan for the start of 2000/01 played 17 times then Webbie signed Darryl.

Capleton came on as sub for Woodman once.

wasn't it Capleton that gave away a blatant backpass resulting in a goal against us, something that a proffessional goal keeper should know how to avoid?

I agree that Oxley is at best an average keeper, poor goal kicking, 3 times on Sat they ended up going off for a throw, too slow to release the ball too. But, he still made 3 or 4 top saves, totally let down by the defence in front of him once again.

I agree that Oxley is at best an average keeper, poor goal kicking, 3 times on Sat they ended up going off for a throw, too slow to release the ball too. But, he still made 3 or 4 top saves, totally let down by the defence in front of him once again.

Goals 1 and 4 were dreadful from a goalkeeping perspective. Same as goal 3 at Gillingham last week. Oxley makes at least one awful mistake per game - many times which lead to a goal. We need a comprehensive overhaul of the goalkeepers, defence and midfield during the coming transfer windows. If we can simply consolidate in League Two next season I’ll be happy because THIS team is National League standard at best....

Back