• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
The season to date has been about unexpected highs and predictable lows. We got promoted by taking the last (4th) promotion place, doing so with a fairy tale ending at Wembley. That sort of finish to the season has tended to cloud our reality genes and we therefore believe we can do it again. Last season our continued consistency tended to be defensive, as we had seen, Phil's teams rarely conceded a lot of goals. That got us through the season. This season we have shown more attacking flair (at times) but to say that we have been inconsistent is an understatement. To badly misquote from Longfellow......when we was good we was very very good, and when we was bad we was horrid.

Although the prospect of nicking another promotion via the play-offs is still not mathematically impossible it is now looking pretty unlikely and our famed team spirit and togetherness appears to be a bit flakey at the moment. Brown is offering more and more public criticism of the team collectively and as individuals. That is his prerogative as manager, but it can’t be helping confidence and thus performance.

The romantic in me still harbours hopes of a miraculous recovery of form, but my head says time to be grown up and accept what my eyes are telling me. We’ve done incredibly well this season to get the points that make FL1 a certainty for next season, and I think that is a success in itself. Time to see out the season now I think, playing as well as we can and giving some of our talented youngsters a chance. I’m still not certain what has prompted me to put this post together, but maybe it was just therapeutic to just get it down in writing.

The season to date has been about unexpected highs and predictable lows. We got promoted by taking the last (4th) promotion place, doing so with a fairy tale ending at Wembley. That sort of finish to the season has tended to cloud our reality genes and we therefore believe we can do it again. Last season our continued consistency tended to be defensive, as we had seen, Phil's teams rarely conceded a lot of goals. That got us through the season. This season we have shown more attacking flair (at times) but to say that we have been inconsistent is an understatement. To badly misquote from Longfellow......when we was good we was very very good, and when we was bad we was horrid.

Although the prospect of nicking another promotion via the play-offs is still not mathematically impossible it is now looking pretty unlikely and our famed team spirit and togetherness appears to be a bit flakey at the moment. Brown is offering more and more public criticism of the team collectively and as individuals. That is his prerogative as manager, but it can’t be helping confidence and thus performance.

The romantic in me still harbours hopes of a miraculous recovery of form, but my head says time to be grown up and accept what my eyes are telling me. We’ve done incredibly well this season to get the points that make FL1 a certainty for next season, and I think that is a success in itself. Time to see out the season now I think, playing as well as we can and giving some of our talented youngsters a chance. I’m still not certain what has prompted me to put this post together, but maybe it was just therapeutic to just get it down in writing.

Good stuff bloke !

This season we have done well,no question of that,the style has in the main been ugly football with some fantastic stuff offered very rarely.

The PO whilst still an outside chance was alway's in my mind a step too far,18 points from the past 16 games have killed us !

Next season if key guys leave and Barnett goes then we could be in for a torrid time,Bents and Payne must be worth 10 points between them so would be a major blow if they go.

Exactly my thoughts, You covered everythng & I could'nt have written it better myself.

The only slight thing that differs in my opinion (is this allowed on Shrimperzone???) Is that I would'nt risk playing youngsters until it is mathmatically impossible to reach the play off's, but until that time I still want us to field the strongest squad possible & collect as many points as possible, then give Ted etc the run outs they so dearly deserve.

Mind you, that being said, I think if we risked some youngsters this afternoon, i dont think the final score line would not have been all that different from the one we witnessed today.

i'm all over that RHB.
we've done really well this season but we've found our level so we now need to look to build for next season s best we can and improve on where we are now

i predicted a 10th placed finish before the season and i see that as a good building block

Problem for me is we've got much worse as the season's progressed, in the first half of the season we generally played well and the only heavy defeat was against Chesterfield. Since Christmas we've had numerous heavy losses, plus poor home performances against struggling teams like Crewe and Chesterfield.

That doesn't bode well for next year, compounded by the fact that Bentley is almost certain to leave and Payne could well follow. Personally I think if Phil's head has been turned he needs to do the right thing and leave now, at least it would give a new man a chance to assess the squad before next season and hopefully persuade Payne to sign.

Problem for me is we've got much worse as the season's progressed, in the first half of the season we generally played well and the only heavy defeat was against Chesterfield. Since Christmas we've had numerous heavy losses, plus poor home performances against struggling teams like Crewe and Chesterfield.

That doesn't bode well for next year, compounded by the fact that Bentley is almost certain to leave and Payne could well follow. Personally I think if Phil's head has been turned he needs to do the right thing and leave now, at least it would give a new man a chance to assess the squad before next season and hopefully persuade Payne to sign.

In this division anyone can beat anyone for the most part. Not sure the facts support you observation- we have never been in the playoff positions and yet over the last few weeks we have been 1-4 points away?? The only time we have been in the bottom half is before Xmas??

In this division anyone can beat anyone for the most part. Not sure the facts support you observation- we have never been in the playoff positions and yet over the last few weeks we have been 1-4 points away?? The only time we have been in the bottom half is before Xmas??

Okay, we got 37 points up to Christmas and have got 18 since. We've got eight games to go, let's say we win 4 and lose 4 that'll give us 30 for the second half of the season. I think somewhere around 27 is more likely and there's no chance we'll get 37. We've definitely been worse since Christmas I'm not sure how you can deny it?

We've lost 4-0 v Millwall, 3-0 v Doncaster, 4-2 v Swindon, 3-1 v Port Vale, 2-0 v Bradford, and 4-1 today since Christmas, in the first half of the season we only lost by more than one goal twice and there's still 8 games to go!

Edit - I've realised Millwall was actually in the first half of the season, but as the start of our downturn in form I think the point stands.

Okay, we got 37 points up to Christmas and have got 18 since. We've got eight games to go, let's say we win 4 and lose 4 that'll give us 30 for the second half of the season. I think somewhere around 27 is more likely and there's no chance we'll get 37. We've definitely been worse since Christmas I'm not sure how you can deny it?

We've lost 4-0 v Millwall, 3-0 v Doncaster, 4-2 v Swindon, 3-1 v Port Vale, 2-0 v Bradford, and 4-1 today since Christmas, in the first half of the season we only lost by more than one goal twice and there's still 8 games to go!

Edit - I've realised Millwall was actually in the first half of the season, but as the start of our downturn in form I think the point stands.
Millwall was actually in the second half of the season, we played them away in September so the 4-0 home game was the start of the second half.

As for being worse in the second half I'd have to agree. Whilst we have improved going forward with the introduction of Barnett and the form of Payne, defensively we have been drastically worse which does raise concerns for next season unless we can bring in a good right back and a couple of good centre backs in the summer.

I agree that I think PB is off in the summer but his not going to leave a job while he is getting paid to do nothing waiting for next season. That would be utterly stupid.

Ron needs to get in talks with him and if he thinks that PB is off then negotiate a deal for him to leave etc.

I predicted at the start of the season we'd finish 12th and I'd be happy with that, we're currently 12th and I'm happy.

It's a step up, we've consolidated, we've not get relegated, let's enjoy next season.

There is no need to panic.

We have a great chance next season just as we have this season. It's about making sure you sign the right players.

They're out there and if we can get them then great. The problem is if we lose Payne and Bentley then will Ron allow the money to be spent on players. As they will be a big loss

I'm sure that bolton and charlton are not looking forward to next season and probably feel they will struggle too.

If we are mathematically out 9f the play offs then we must give some of the youth a chance. Ted Smith and bridge for sure

It's all well and good having a reality check but after a very good first half of the season, the expectation was raised. Unfortunately, the second half hasn't lived up to the first half.

Whether it be lack of tactical nouse by PB, lack of motivation from the players, fatigue, injuries or AN other reason, it's very disappointing.

Had we struggled first half of the season, the expectation would be survival but the fact of the matter is the play offs were a viable proposition but losing away from home so heavily on more than one occasion in recent weeks IS our reality check

There is no need to panic.

We have a great chance next season just as we have this season.
This summer will be a summer of transition. I'm almost certain Brown will leave and a few key personnel will follow suit.

With this in mind, I just hope a decent contingency plan is being put in place to deal with the change.

A very good and interesting read
A reality check is needed but as supporters we do but dream
PB is a master of deflecting Critisium when he is struggling by openly critizising his players
Does nothing for overall confidence and unity in the changing room
But although not a fan of PB mid table humbles me a bit
i also agree that Bents will most certainly move on with young Jack Payne
I think next season will be harder than this one, with the departure of such players, for me a change is needed with the new person coming in, start shaping and building next years charge, and maybe Convince young Jack to stay.

UTB

Historically, our first season back in the third tier , whether is as a result of a promotion or relegation, generally results in the best position for that spell . Only once,back in the early 70s, have we finshed higher in our 2nd season in T3, than our first.
We do not have a history of staying in this division very long.

Crikey, a thread on SZ after a 4-1 defeat that doesn't have people calling for the manager's head, a general slitting of wrists, delusions of grandeur, and a modicum of panic; I've had to pinch myself to make sure I'm awake. :unsure:

I think, like most of you, I've been around the block a few times and my expectations of a successful first season back would have been a tenth place finish with a flirt at getting in the play-offs as a bonus to make the season a bit more interesting. Well I've had my flirt with the play-offs and we've been top ten for most of the season, if we make sure we finish there then, as far as I'm concerned, job done.

Overall this season I've seen some good football, and some horrendous football, consistency has been our problem otherwise it could have been a stupendous season.

Historically, our first season back in the third tier , whether is as a result of a promotion or relegation, generally results in the best position for that spell . Only once,back in the early 70s, have we finshed higher in our 2nd season in T3, than our first.
We do not have a history of staying in this division very long.

Attendances make us L1. Money made from the stadium makes us Conference. So overall we are L2. Maybe we should enjoy our mid-table L1 season. Until yesterday the only smaller club doing better than ours was Burton.

Since our win at Wembley there has been endless posts about which player isn't good enough for L1,who could be upgraded etc. Can we upgrade for the same money, certainly not. Players have earned more at Canvey than they do at Southend.

Attendances make us L1. Money made from the stadium makes us Conference. So overall we are L2. Maybe we should enjoy our mid-table L1 season. Until yesterday the only smaller club doing better than ours was Burton.

Since our win at Wembley there has been endless posts about which player isn't good enough for L1,who could be upgraded etc. Can we upgrade for the same money, certainly not. Players have earned more at Canvey than they do at Southend.

I'd be surprised if that is true. Andy Swallow at Grays is handing over the club for others to run, he says he's had enough, and lost heart in lower League football. Just one of the things he's moaning about is that players at his club are on £75 a week, yet they have agents, that he has to deal with.
I would think Canvey would be nearer to that sort of pay than Southend's. How can Canvey pay good wages on tiny crowds of a few hundred, with cheap admission.

Before it all went pop at Hornchurch, I recall someone moving to them from us for more money, cant remember who though.

**Edit**just checked, Jamie Stuart

Back