• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A real shame, a player that I always liked the look of but never really took a chance when given it in the 1st team. Wish him all the best though and hope he makes a decent career out of it.

I just think it's a sad indictment of our transfer policy. On the same day Chris Phillips tweeted about us having the oldest squad in the league, we let a 22 year old go.

Our current 'old' squad is hardly pulling up trees to warrant the 'needed' experience. Most of our players are past their peak with a limited few at their peak, which means the latter will be at the end of it soon. Players like Bridge have lots of time to get to their peak and yet we've let him go.

Granted, we have signed up a few youngsters this season to long contracts but that's probably more to do with the club than the manager.

He refuses to look at a younger players and players from the lower leagues. Everything is ego with him. "I want premier league players in my team, to play the way I want to play". He would never look at someone like Dan Lloyd-McGoldrick (signed by Peterborough from Stockport) who is currently having a great season. He won't see past this perceived idea of 'Phil Brown the premiership manager' and he'll only manage 'top players'. He needs to realise that he manages in the lower leagues and his transfer policy needs to reflect and embrace where he is. Just because someone played at a certain level once, doesn't mean they are at that standard now. You look at players like Prosser and Bolger, would they have been worse than Ferdinand and Turner? Who knows, but at least they are younger and have the desire to fight because they still have motivation. How can someone who is 34 that used to play in the premiership have true motivation in league 1?

I know there's a few strong opinions there but im sure most agree that something really has to change regarding our current transfer policy.

Not quite true. We signed Theo Robinson from non league.

As for young players Kyp and Dru played yesterday because they have earned their place. Jack Bridge failed to impress anyone against Reading and wanted to come off against Billericay. So good luck to him at Northampton.

Not quite true. We signed Theo Robinson from non league.

As for young players Kyp and Dru played yesterday because they have earned their place. Jack Bridge failed to impress anyone against Reading and wanted to come off against Billericay. So good luck to him at Northampton.

And thankfully offered Robinson a 3 year deal.

Hi Shrimpers, I appreciate he has not played much for you but can you give us any idea of what sort of player he is? We are desperate for pace and width at the moment so I am desperately hoping hes a pacy wide man..

Jack Bridge is very similar in style to Adam Lallana. He's speedy but i wouldnt say blistering pace , but his cleverness and energy gets him into good positions. He has the ability to drop his shoulder and open up a defence with intelligent movement both on and off the ball. He can play as a number 10 but i rate him better as a wide midfielder ( ala Lallana ) rather than an actual touchline hugging winger. In the very few chances he was given here he was played as a striker which was blatant stupid management or was given just a few minutes as a sub in a bad team. Whenever he played for our reserves in his correct position and given the managers confidence he showed his class which should have led to many many more 1st team games.
Given the chance Bridge will prove a very good league player , although i'm also a massive fan of Lewis McGugan who i see cant get in your team at the moment( nor can John Joe total Toole ) so am surprised how good your midfield must be already !!!!!???
Good luck for rest of the season , but of course i hope you get stuffed this Saturday ! :winking:

Jack Bridge played as a left mid on his last 2 starts for club. He did play 87 minutes at Stevenage in the Check a trade last season as a forward when we lost 4-0and Stevenage fans took great delight in mocking our bench.

Brige was one of the group of players who couldn't be bothered that night, so never got a start for the rest of the season.....Along with AB, O'Neil, King ( on loan) and Kyp...

The difference is Kyp spent the next 12 months Manning up and that's why he is now part of the first team squad.

Nothing against Bridge there's a decent player in there somewhere, let's hope a fresh start will motivate him but be warned Cobblers we have had these sort of threads every time a young player has left and so far PB has proved to be correct

Jack Bridge played as a left mid on his last 2 starts for club. He did play 87 minutes at Stevenage in the Check a trade last season as a forward when we lost 4-0and Stevenage fans took great delight in mocking our bench.

Brige was one of the group of players who couldn't be bothered that night, so never got a start for the rest of the season.....Along with AB, O'Neil, King ( on loan) and Kyp...

The difference is Kyp spent the next 12 months Manning up and that's why he is now part of the first team squad.

Nothing against Bridge there's a decent player in there somewhere, let's hope a fresh start will motivate him but be warned Cobblers we have had these sort of threads every time a young player has left and so far PB has proved to be correct

It is difficult to exactly determine from your sentence construction whether you are stating that AB couldn't be bothered that night but that certainly appears to be the implication.

Would you clarify please.

Thanks.

By the report in the Echo it looks like Dean Austin, whose assistant manager there and spent the second half of last season with the youth teams here, pushed for it. Given how highly Maher, Coughlan, etc have rated him, we will see.

From speaking to people in and around the playing side of the club, they rated Bridge higher than Payne, just sadly the ego of Brown was bruised by Bridge's agent.

Decent little player, hope he does well and makes it in the game

Hi Shrimpers, I appreciate he has not played much for you but can you give us any idea of what sort of player he is? We are desperate for pace and width at the moment so I am desperately hoping hes a pacy wide man..

I watched him about 5 times when he was on loan at Chelmsford City and he was MOTM every time. He played out wide in all of those games, he hasn't got especially good pace but I think his best position is out wide, he can put a decent ball in but is much better cutting inside. If he'd played a full season at National league south at the rate he was scoring and assisting he would have topped the scoring and assist charts for the league. He had a little run of games for us a couple of seasons ago at the end of the season but it was coming into a team that had nothing to play for, was performing badly and at a time where Brown was giving a few youth teamers a chance as there was nothing more to play for. He didn't perform for us in those games but I wouldn't read too much into that. Think that him wanting to play and not being happy with the lack of opportunity and speaking out about that meant he was frozen out by Brown, I know Jack is highly rated by some of the coaches here.
I have said before there is huge raw talent there and with the right attitude he could be a very good player. I imagine you have got him on a very good deal, doubt the wages and fee are much at all. Knowing Ron I'd expect we have some performance and sell on clauses in there but if he's successful you'll reap more reward than us. I think Dean Austin has picked you a diamond. Gutted he wasn't given a real chance here.

No no no ! Bridge would have been in team if Graham took over from this clown ,,one more reason I want this Muppet sacked and Horton for giving Theo 3 year deal

Our club in real mess with Ron martin he sacked best groundsman ken we had but can't sack this idoits who keep signing old players let bridge go in my opinion he our best playmaker

I watched him about 5 times when he was on loan at Chelmsford City and he was MOTM every time. He played out wide in all of those games, he hasn't got especially good pace but I think his best position is out wide, he can put a decent ball in but is much better cutting inside. If he'd played a full season at National league south at the rate he was scoring and assisting he would have topped the scoring and assist charts for the league. He had a little run of games for us a couple of seasons ago at the end of the season but it was coming into a team that had nothing to play for, was performing badly and at a time where Brown was giving a few youth teamers a chance as there was nothing more to play for. He didn't perform for us in those games but I wouldn't read too much into that. Think that him wanting to play and not being happy with the lack of opportunity and speaking out about that meant he was frozen out by Brown, I know Jack is highly rated by some of the coaches here.
I have said before there is huge raw talent there and with the right attitude he could be a very good player. I imagine you have got him on a very good deal, doubt the wages and fee are much at all. Knowing Ron I'd expect we have some performance and sell on clauses in there but if he's successful you'll reap more reward than us. I think Dean Austin has picked you a diamond. Gutted he wasn't given a real chance here.

I also saw him a few times at Chelmsford, as you say, he was usually man of the match. Since then he has had little chance given him by the manager here although he hasn't set the world alight during his brief appearances. He also had trials at Bournemouth and Grimsby but they were not interested. He was very good at Chelmsford and if he could recapture that form then Northampton have made a good signing.

I also saw him a few times at Chelmsford, as you say, he was usually man of the match. Since then he has had little chance given him by the manager here although he hasn't set the world alight during his brief appearances. He also had trials at Bournemouth and Grimsby but they were not interested. He was very good at Chelmsford and if he could recapture that form then Northampton have made a good signing.
Grimsby wanted him but couldn't afford what Ron wanted. Ron demanded £200k when West Ham were interested at the start of last season.

Its ironic that such a diamond player's career has been thwarted so much by Phil Brown in the past 3 years , and now he is further stopping Bridge making his debut for his new club !!! Crazy!

One can only hope that Brown gets the boot before Bridge signs on the dotted line ... as i would expect that if Coughlin picks the team on Saturday then Bridge would be our star man rather than theirs !!!!

Do it Ron , do it NOW !!!!!!!!!!:witch Hunt:

Can we resurrect this thread in two years time so we can see if he has joined that massive list of players released by SUFC in their early 20's who were not playing in the conference at 25 .......

No no no ! Bridge would have been in team if Graham took over from this clown ,,one more reason I want this Muppet sacked and Horton for giving Theo 3 year deal

Our club in real mess with Ron martin he sacked best groundsman ken we had but can't sack this idoits who keep signing old players let bridge go in my opinion he our best playmaker

Who is Graham?

Can we resurrect this thread in two years time so we can see if he has joined that massive list of players released by SUFC in their early 20's who were not playing in the conference at 25 .......

Fine by me.

I can't say I mourned the departure of youth team products like Jason Williams, Johnny Herd, Harry Crawford etc who always looked destined for non-league. I think Bridge is in an entirely different category to them.

Maybe we can see if in 2 years he's playing at a higher level than the man who let him go is managing.

My excuse if he doesn't make it is that he's done a Stephen Broad/:pig: and his heart is no longer in it having been released from his boyhood club:sad::cry::sad:

I saw a bit of video from his time at Chelmsford, granted I didn't go to the games but the defences he was playing against looked slow and dreadful and I couldn't see based on what I saw that he would have a great deal of joy against fullbacks at this level if played out wide.

Saw that Northampton released Mcgugan, know there are question marks over his character and we don't need any more bad apples but I reckon he'd do more than a half fit Woody.

Bridge should be allowed to play on Saturday. If we're right about his ability we have nothing to fear. I don't worry when I see Luke O'Neill line up for Gillingham.

Bridge should be allowed to play on Saturday. If we're right about his ability we have nothing to fear. I don't worry when I see Luke O'Neill line up for Gillingham.

It's not a loan deal either so if the deal is done before Saturday I don't see how we have a right to tell them to play him or not to play him

Its a 2 1/2 year contract , but i think we are stalling on the paperwork so that it doesnt go through in time for Saturday. Pathetic. :facepalm:

I don't worry when I see Luke O'Neill line up for Gillingham.

Did you not see that brilliant ball he put in for Gillingham's second goal at Charlton on Monday?
I reckon he has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months.

Back