• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bridge is probably the one player that has messed Brown about rather than the other way round, his agent convinced him he should be the first name of the team sheet during a period where we were doing well without him and they started making noise about wanting to leave. Yearwood should be far ahead of him if we want to give youth a chance.

Apart from everything else, Yearwood is actually a young player. Bridge is already 22 and, perhaps like Williams before him, not really showing any signs of being good enough for League One.

I would love him to make it, whether it's us or some other League club. Trouble is that he's one of those players that has a short good spell in games, and then goes missing. He really needs to up his game, otherwise he'll just be another that drops down the League's.

I think he will go somewhere else, get a run of games and really kick on. There is definite class there and I think he'll do well. Shame it won't be with us

I think he will go somewhere else, get a run of games and really kick on. There is definite class there and I think he'll do well. Shame it won't be with us
Maybe he could play wide right, Knightly not pulling any trees up at the moment, its just i read somewhere that he likes to play central midfield. I have not seen the lad play, you have seen him play well wide so maybe thats the answer, but will Pb drop Knightly, mm.

Maybe he could play wide right, Knightly not pulling any trees up at the moment, its just i read somewhere that he likes to play central midfield. I have not seen the lad play, you have seen him play well wide so maybe thats the answer, but will Pb drop Knightly, mm.

Nope, I have actually been surprised that Kightly hasn't had any backlash on here as he is not performing how you'd expect our top earner to perform. No chance PB will drop Kightly for him and I don't think he should but there was a big window where Kightly was injured this season and he didn't get a shot. Quite simply his face doesn't fit

central midfield, ok who steps down, to let Bridge have an extended run, Lenny, Wright, maybe knightly, Wordsworth, when he is fit to play. Would PB drop any of those for Bridge, i dont think so, so how does the lad get a game, somewhere else i think.

Maybe give him a few 15-20 minutes sub appearances?

Since August 2016 he's had 7 minutes of league action spread over two games 9 months apart. Pretty hard to impress in those circumstances. How do you build partnerships and get the other players to learn where you want the ball and where you are going to make your runs?

Apart from everything else, Yearwood is actually a young player. Bridge is already 22 and, perhaps like Williams before him, not really showing any signs of being good enough for League One.

In fairness to the lad and anyone else, they must be judged not on the odd appearance, but a run of games

God if you judged Dan Bentley on his first game for Southend, you would have thrown him to the wolves (No not the football team), he dropped everything and distribution was awlful, but he was given a run and became a very good keeper
Many supporters build these kids up as the next messiah and if they do not produce straight away, the over weight supporter who has never kicked a ball becomes the new Terry Venables and has a new vision for them
Giving them the odd Check a trade match or odd game is not the way, let them play a dozen games and experience the rough and tough side of the lower leagues or even a loan in the non league with a strong view of playing them when coming back and not sitting in the stands

We all are guilty of knowing better the manager its part of being a fan, but at least give them a real run and not five minutes feature

UTS
By the way Mick the average over weight supporter was not a dig at you, just the general people that sit around me and constantly berate a player from the moment he steps onto the pitch and that's in the warm up !!!

Maybe give him a few 15-20 minutes sub appearances?

Since August 2016 he's had 7 minutes of league action spread over two games 9 months apart. Pretty hard to impress in those circumstances. How do you build partnerships and get the other players to learn where you want the ball and where you are going to make your runs?
Sure enough, it doesnt look fare on the lad looking at those stats, how is he meant to impress.

Just to remind people, Jack Bridge plays for Southend United. Not Hullbridge sports under 9's. Some of the comments on here would be better suited to the Hullbridge mumsnet.

Just to remind people, Jack Bridge plays for Southend United. Not Hullbridge sports under 9's. Some of the comments on here would be better suited to the Hullbridge mumsnet.

Thanks for the parental advice mum. We'll try and do better but we just get carried away at times. I bet you know how that feels sometimes.:winking:

Well im really sorry some off the post on here dont come to your high standards, i will have to think again before i come on Shrimperzone again

Originally Posted by rigsby

Curious as to why you periodically put these kind of barbs on threads? Utterly, utterly pointless and does nothing but undermine the sense you do sometimes talk in my opinion. If you want to encourage more people to post, this tripe doesn't help.

Originally Posted by rigsby

Curious as to why you periodically put these kind of barbs on threads? Utterly, utterly pointless and does nothing but undermine the sense you do sometimes talk in my opinion. If you want to encourage more people to post, this tripe doesn't help.

Agree with you here Trevor - all of a sudden a debate with differing views and opinions gets slated as if everyone else is a fool and their opinions are irrelevant.

Turkishm stated above how I personally felt previously but thank goodness for the 'Ignore' function or I wouldn't bother with SZ any more and that would be my loss as there are so many interesting and counter opinions and views that I would miss out on.

A different opinion would be welcome. Sadly there never, is only the blame Brown for everything posts. We have the same stuff about every attacking player that leaves.....Conner Clifford, Coulthirst, Barnard, Mooney, Pigott, Williams etc etc.

So what as caught the eye of anyone about Jack Bridge.

Lets have a look what people thought of him when he started that league game v Fleetwood.

A different opinion would be welcome. Sadly there never, is only the blame Brown for everything posts. We have the same stuff about every attacking player that leaves.....Conner Clifford, Coulthirst, Barnard, Mooney, Pigott, Williams etc etc.

So what as caught the eye of anyone about Jack Bridge.

Lets have a look what people thought of him when he started that league game v Fleetwood.

I'd have hoped that he'd be a better player at 22 than at 20. If he isn't that's a pretty damning indictment on the development and coaching.

I'd have hoped that he'd be a better player at 22 than at 20. If he isn't that's a pretty damning indictment on the development and coaching.

Lenny improved over 2 years
Payne improved over 2 years
Bentley improved over 2 years
Accordingly to some, John White is better now than he was ( he seems more popular now than he did when he was captain and playing week in week out )
I hope Yearwood will improve ( like the 3 youngsters above )
I hope Elvis will improve ( like the 3 youngsters above )

Some times the player has to take on some responsibility !!!

As others have said, i'm guessing our training staff don't particularly rate him, as despite all the injury woes we've had so far, Jack hasn't even managed to make it onto the subs bench on 15 occasions so far this season, that's quite a feat considering were only 19 games in.

On that basis, we are really never gonna use him (even as an option as a possible sub). I think all we can hope for is that some League Two club take a gamble on him in the January transfer window, and we can get some small return on the investment we have made in him, before he walks for free at the end of the season.

Jack Bridge may well kick-start his career at Northampton. When he played for Chelmsford he looked a very good future prospect for us. Something seems to have gone wrong. The game has had hundreds of young players who look great at a young age but do not make further progress. A good example is the England Youth teams over the years, very few realise their potential.

I like many have probably only seen him play a few minutes. So what do we actually know and what is inference.

He was 22 in September.

I know that on many occasions Phil Brown has said that "Jack Bridge is pulling up trees in training" and that he is going to get a chance in the first team.

After going on loan to Chelmsford he, got 20 minutes in the penultimate game of 2015/16 against Bradford lost 1-0 when he replaced Glen Kamara and started the final game at Bury the next week when he got 56 minutes. He was brought into a team that had lost 5 of its previous 7 games and ended up losing both those games.

He was given a new 2 year contract.

At the start of last season he then got 11 minutes when we lost at home to Gillingham in the League Cup
He got 27 minutes at Port Vale in the 2-0 defeat when I can remember Brown bemoaning the fact that he only had U21 players on the bench. He was unused at Sheffield United. Came on as sub (24 minutes) the next game against Bristol Rovers when I think he cleverly put in the cross from the left that was handled for our penalty. Brown took the glory for his substitutions paying off.

He then started against Fleetwood - which I didn't see - when everyone was dross - replacing Ranger/Mooney. I don't know where he played but it seems it was a 5 man midfield with Cox alone up front. Leonard, O'Neill, McLaughlin, King and Bridge. He lasted 56 minutes being replaced by Mooney.

In the FL Trophy he got 9 minutes against the O's and replaced Cox after 9 minutes in the shambles at Stevenage.

Finally last season he got 2 minutes at Swindon and January and had a trial at Bournemouth.

He was told he could leave in the summer and Grimsby gave him a trial game.

This year he has just had 5 minutes at Shrewsbury and started against Reading Under 23s.

Is he any good - I can't tell. He was promising enough to get a two year contract. Has he had a fair chance given how good he was supposed to be in training? He hasn't had a chance in a winning side, but in the few minutes I saw him he won a penalty against B.R.

I don't think Phil trusts youngsters any more as shown in his recruitment and selection policy only using them if he has no other choice.

I hope Jack can make a career elsewhere.

Back