• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on another thread.

But I have read in the Echo, that Jack will be spending the the next 2 weeks training with Northampton Town, with the possibility of signing for them when the Transfer window opens in January.

However the article doesn't indicate if that would be on a loan basis, or if we are planning to get a few quid for him before his contract expires at the end of the season.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/15...ridge_to_train_with_Northampton/?ref=mr&lp=11

There's also some news about some of our other youth players that are either out on loan as well as some that are returning to the club.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure Jack Bridge will do well as soon as he given a sustained run in a first-team in his favoured position of central-midfield. Something that has not happened under PB. It is amazing given Wordsworth's fitness problems that Bridge did not get more opportunities at Southend.

I have a feeling that letting Bridge go will come back and bite us on the @rse!

Jack deserves a chance, but PB has messed him about so much that not a surprise if he leaves.

Last edited:
If Bridge hadshown what Elvis and Year wood have done then would have thought PB would have given Bridge a chance

I am a big fan of Jack and would have loved him to have done well for personal reasons, but every chance he has been given he hasn't taken and unfortunately has done nothing to warrant that extended opportunity.

Has everyone forgot that Bridges agent was touting him to other clubs while demanding to be in the first team not so long ago. I think it's down to them that they have burnt their own bridges.

I am a big fan of Jack and would have loved him to have done well for personal reasons, but every chance he has been given he hasn't taken and unfortunately has done nothing to warrant that extended opportunity.

That's an interesting post. What are your personal reasons?...and why has he failed at every opportunity that the club have offered him?

I have a feeling that letting Bridge go will come back and bite us on the @rse!

Jack deserves a chance, but PB has messed him about so much that not a surprise if he leaves.

Bridge is probably the one player that has messed Brown about rather than the other way round, his agent convinced him he should be the first name of the team sheet during a period where we were doing well without him and they started making noise about wanting to leave. Yearwood should be far ahead of him if we want to give youth a chance.

Jack Bridge is underrated and I look forward to quoting this post to prove everyone wrong

Jack Bridge is overrated and I look forward to quoting this post to prove everyone wrong

What big opportunities has the club offered Bridge? I do not think he has ever started more than two consecutive games for the first team.

He apparently played a blinder for Kevin Maher's young side in a 6-2 victory at Gillingham a few weeks ago. Did he get rewarded with a first team recall? No, he got shipped out instead to Northampton.

If Southend's first team midfield was consistently playing well, there might be a stronger case for overlooking Bridge.

didn't Bridge get turned down by Grimsby in the summer? Whilst the lad might have talent that's not enough to make it as a professional footballer anymore regardless of the league. He seems to have an inflated sense of his worth without really having produced anything to back it up, until he does all he's got is potential

That's an interesting post. What are your personal reasons?...and why has he failed at every opportunity that the club have offered him?

When I say he has failed at every opportunity, there hasn't been one game that I have seen - whether it be cup, friendly or league appearance, either as a starter or as a sub - where he has done anything of note that would warrant his inclusion for the next week. I probably haven't seen them all (there haven't been many) but I did see him in one of the worst ever performances by a Southend midfield in the 4-0 drubbing by Stevenage in the Checkatrade Trophy last season.

The personal reasons are that a) he is a local lad having played for Leigh Ramblers (as did one of my kids although in a different age group) and b) I know his Dad.

Trust me, nothing would delight me more than to see him really turn it on in the same way that Jack Payne did at times. But he hasn't shown anything like that quality.

If I remember correctly a poster on here spoke with Coughlan recently and he spoke highly of Bridge. It seems that the whole thing has gone a bit toxic and the likelihood of him being a reg in the Blues squad diminishes daily. Regardless of his skill or potential, I can only see him signing for another club sooner or later.

central midfield, ok who steps down, to let Bridge have an extended run, Lenny, Wright, maybe knightly, Wordsworth, when he is fit to play. Would PB drop any of those for Bridge, i dont think so, so how does the lad get a game, somewhere else i think.

When I say he has failed at every opportunity, there hasn't been one game that I have seen - whether it be cup, friendly or league appearance, either as a starter or as a sub - where he has done anything of note that would warrant his inclusion for the next week. I probably haven't seen them all (there haven't been many) but I did see him in one of the worst ever performances by a Southend midfield in the 4-0 drubbing by Stevenage in the Checkatrade Trophy last season.

The personal reasons are that a) he is a local lad having played for Leigh Ramblers (as did one of my kids although in a different age group) and b) I know his Dad.

Trust me, nothing would delight me more than to see him really turn it on in the same way that Jack Payne did at times. But he hasn't shown anything like that quality.

Spot on and honest post by fbm. I was at Stevenage and Billericay, as well as watching him in under 23's games and occasionally training.

I don't want slag any young player and I also played for Leigh Ramblers, so would love to have seen Jack make that last step up. From what I have seen it is just not there, in fact I see more reasons not to.

Of course I wish the lad well and lets hope he can refocus at another club, although L1 may ne a bit to high. In the Summer there was strong talk of Blackpool so he obviously likes the sea.

A Brian Horton saying is "There's a player in there somewhere". The problem is there are hundreds and hundreds of those young players that will be jogging out this morning at professional clubs. In the end its only the individual who can show he has something extra that will make the difference.

Even at our club the next young cabs off the rank are never far behind.

Why does everyone think his best position is CM, he played out wide on his loan at Chelmsford and that was by far his most successful run of games.

I don't think he has much of a chance making it, especially in the Football League, until he realises he's not a CM

Back