• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack Payne in League 1

Key thing today is that Mooney played the deep position. Makes sense to as he has good vision and can pick out a decent pass.

Key thing today is that Mooney played the deep position. Makes sense to as he has good vision and can pick out a decent pass.

He did play deeper, but what made that system work today is Weston's work rate....as well as being the most advanced of the 3 forwards for much of the game he had the energy until the very end to work back and make it a 4-4-2 when we were defending, we would have been far too open otherwise. Top marks to Weston today for putting in a hell of a shift.

if we are going play with that one behind the striker more then Payne will probably get some chances. but it's also possible that Brown wants him to watch and learn how to play that way at this level

If we are going play with that one behind the striker more then Payne will probably get some chances but it's also possible that Brown wants him to watch and learn how to play that way at this level.

A good chance yesterday to shine ........ and he did for the first half at least. Compliments from Adkins about Payne being a pain and comments on BBC Radio Sheffield from Blades fans about how good he was.:thumbsup:

We (Southend United) now need to work out how to get Payne to be more effective over 60 to 70 minutes.

I think that's the thing with Jack, he is a great player no doubt about it, but some teams seem to find it relatively easily to learn how to defend against him and just bully him out of the game. That and his stamina, so that he can produce the quality of the first half yesterday over a whole game, and he'll be a great asset for us.

I'd say that at the moment he's a great option for us, but until he improves his fitness and learns to deal with the bullying a bit better he'll always be in and out of the team. Firmly believe that he'll learn and become a good regular player for us in the near future.

The great thing about Jack Payne is that he can finish as shown by his excellent strike yesterday. This is IMO where he has the edge over Atkinson, Hurst, Worrall and Timlin. His finishing is more consistent than those other four lads.The extra goals that he would provide if playing regularly could be crucial.

Payne..53 appearances...8 goals
Hunt last 53 appearances 7 goals

Jack IMO is a brilliant player and Phil should have more faith in him,Jack Lenny and when fit Deeg(changed my mind about him)as the centre 3 would be awesome if they are allowed to play without the shackles.

His gait, the way he moves and leans and his touch or kick of the ball reminded me of Maradonna yesterday. The only problem is he does not possess the same power, probably due to his size and weight and despite his willingness to absolutely fight is pushed off to easily.

His gait, the way he moves and leans and his touch or kick of the ball reminded me of Maradonna yesterday.

Really? :stunned:

He often reminds me of someone trying to swim with the way his arms seem to work while running, can't say Maradona ever did!

The thing is people say teams work him out and yesterday he was worked out etc. But let's not forget first half yesterday he got the ball to feet in the final third, other midfielders got forward to create the space for him, which in turn allowed him to dictate play. Second half we pumped the ball long and didn't play it to his feet and other midfielders hardly got over the halfway line to support him.

We need to bring our best game as a collective to the second half as well as the first, and who nose Payne may also have an impact in some of the second half too.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with playing 60 mins and being taken off as long as you have made an impact. Akinfenwa and Ebanks-Blake both get taken off quite regularly at about 60 mins after they have made an impact in the first half and some of the second.

I spoke to a couple of Sheffield United fans after the game and they were all asking who was the little number 10. They couldn't believe it when I said he didn't play very often and all said he stood out to them.

It's easy to say you can work somebody out. I can work out Messi and Ronaldo's strengths but they're still great because the team play to their strengths so the opposition can't play them out the game

I spoke to a couple of Sheffield United fans after the game and they were all asking who was the little number 10. They couldn't believe it when I said he didn't play very often and all said he stood out to them.

It's easy to say you can work somebody out. I can work out Messi and Ronaldo's strengths but they're still great because the team play to their strengths so the opposition can't play them out the game

Not surprised that other clubs fans can see that he is a good player. Last season, John Still the Luton manager said he was surprised when Payne was not in our starting eleven. He would almost certainly be a midfielder who could get at least ten goals a season if playing regularly. Just the type of player all successful teams need.

The thing is people say teams work him out and yesterday he was worked out etc. But let's not forget first half yesterday he got the ball to feet in the final third, other midfielders got forward to create the space for him, which in turn allowed him to dictate play. Second half we pumped the ball long and didn't play it to his feet and other midfielders hardly got over the halfway line to support him.

We need to bring our best game as a collective to the second half as well as the first, and who nose Payne may also have an impact in some of the second half too.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with playing 60 mins and being taken off as long as you have made an impact. Akinfenwa and Ebanks-Blake both get taken off quite regularly at about 60 mins after they have made an impact in the first half and some of the second.

But did the balls to feet dry up because we decided to knock it long, or because the opposition worked out how to nulify Payne and that was to stop the passing game , pressurise and force the team into the long ball ?

Sounds to me like the opposition worked us out

The difference is whilst People can identify Messi and Ronaldos strengths, they can't come up with a succesful way of counteracting them. With Payne they can, as Sheffield appear to have done yesterday.

i'm really glad that Payne had a good one yesterday and i hope it continues.
we have to remember how young he is plus we've gone up a division too. if we'd stayed down he'd probably have been a regular this season. i actually think he and Mooney are pretty similar in that they are best between the midfield and attack

The great thing about Jack Payne is that he can finish as shown by his excellent strike yesterday. This is IMO where he has the edge over Atkinson, Hurst, Worrall and Timlin. His finishing is more consistent than those other four lads.The extra goals that he would provide if playing regularly could be crucial.

That isn't really a fair comparison as the 4 you've listed aren't the same type of players. When Payne plays it is a tactical decision, not because he's deemed "better" than another squad member.

I agree his finishing is better (in general) than your 4 examples, but they can all do other things better than him...

So young Jack Payne is getting game time, doing well, scoring the odd goal but still gets knocked on here for not having the stamina, not being as good as other players etc etc. Some players will never get the recognition they deserve. How about seeing the positives. Youth player come good, makes space and gets into good positions, has an eye for goal

Totally agree.

Sheffield United seem to have more positive things to say about him than some people do.

^
Exactly this.

Back