• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it's time to give young Jack a rest this Saturday imo, he's not been as effective in the last few games, id bring him on from the bench against Luton, his fresh legs coming on with 20 minutes or so to go would kill them

Agreed, I think teams are identifying him as a threat and he hasn't quite got the experience to deal with this yet. Hopefully we'll see Timlin and Leonard back soon enough

I'd like to think that a 19 year-old professional footballer can play four games in four weeks without needing a rest.

I'd like to think that a 19 year-old professional footballer can play four games in four weeks without needing a rest.

Physically he should, but mentally is something different.

summary of Jack Payne threads over the last two months

1. I don't understand what he has to do start
  2. At last- we start him and win
  3. He is the savior- Brown should have had him stating much earlier
  4. We need to rest him

If we rest him and he comes on in the last 5 mins to score an equalizer I fully expect to see threads on here stating that we should have started him! :dim:

Jack is now being targeted by the opposition giving him little time with the ball.

Drop him Defo not.

If he doesn't start Shrimperzone will go into meltdown as he is the Messiah, just like Jonny Herd was.

Depends on what formation Luton use. If they flood the midfield like Morecambe did, then there is little room for his creativity, if they play 4-4-2 with a bit of width, there is a lot more space in there for him to create things on the break away from home.

If he doesn't start Shrimperzone will go into meltdown as he is the Messiah, just like Jonny Herd was.

Depends on what formation Luton use. If they flood the midfield like Morecambe did, then there is little room for his creativity, if they play 4-4-2 with a bit of width, there is a lot more space in there for him to create things on the break away from home.

He is top scorer so yes currently the messiah.Herd was always in my view non league standard !

Worral looks sharp, time for him to start, i've never quite understood the excitement surrounding Payne, he looked lost against Portsmouth for most of the first half yet people were raving about him after that game.

Worral looks sharp, time for him to start, i've never quite understood the excitement surrounding Payne, he looked lost against Portsmouth for most of the first half yet people were raving about him after that
game.

Isnt Worrall a wide player?

Payne has been pretty much ineffective last couple of games but not sure who would be a better choice in the middle.

Wouldnt "rest" him yet, but interested to see if he can maintain any sort of consistency. Its ok saying other teams targeted him ,which I didnt really see happening against Shrewsbury or Morecambe to be honest, but if they do and he cant cope with that then not much point playing him.

Although he wasn't having a great game I thought we should of kept JP on as he is one player who can unlock a tight defensive setup. Weston, Hurst were poor and Shaq missed a whole host of chances again. I would of taken off them before.

Isnt Worrall a wide player?

Payne has been pretty much ineffective last couple of games but not sure who would be a better choice in the middle.

Wouldnt "rest" him yet, but interested to see if he can maintain any sort of consistency. Its ok saying other teams targeted him ,which I didnt really see happening against Shrewsbury or Morecambe to be honest, but if they do and he cant cope with that then not much point playing him.

I agree, things aren't coming off for him, I don't see any special treatment. I'd give him a couple more games and hope he can play his way out of this little blip, think that would be best for his development, you need to show a bit of faith in the kid. If he has another 2 ineffectual games then I'm sure Timlin and Leonard will be waiting in the wings and Jack will have to wait for his chance again.

summary of Jack Payne threads over the last two months

1. I don't understand what he has to do start
  2. At last- we start him and win
  3. He is the savior- Brown should have had him stating much earlier
  4. Why did Brown sub him?
  5. We need to rest him

You missed one out.

Although he wasn't having a great game I thought we should of kept JP on as he is one player who can unlock a tight defensive setup. Weston, Hurst were poor and Shaq missed a whole host of chances again. I would of taken off them before.
Mods please delete. I didn't mean to repost the same thing as mrsblue does. The mobile phone app doesn't let me.

Yes he is still learning,but we didn't exactly score a hat full once he and Clifford went off. I thought he looked quite good in the first half given the general team performance (he had a shot on target and followed up when someone else had a long range shot in case their keeper spilled it.

In a way, the game opened up in the last 15 minutes or so and we had a number of half chances where by taking a gamble or being a little quicker we could have been in (Hurst had a poor 'big miss' on the edge of the box was one that came to mind). Shame Payne wasn't still on then at least he knows where the goal is!

You're right. His confidence must be shot to bits since becoming a first team regular.
Pressure can affect sports people immensely and as they progress in their careers some cope better than others. Certainly describing him as Southend's Messi does not help the lad.

Back